What's new

Tomi's '99 JDM S15 Silvia

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I wouldn't say the PowerFC is complete rubbish, it is just a little long in the tooth. The available products these days are now just more polished. It is still a good solution as an aftermarket ECU for the S15

SR2O

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being a little harsh but - IMO, the PowerFC is highly over rated - at least for an S15 SR20. In terms of tuneability it is argued that finer tuning is achievable, however in a real world application most of us would not notice, if at all. Some of the reasons I made the change:

- PowerFC has rubbish cold start idle/return to idle no matter what you do. Which according to most reputable tuners seems to be more apparent with the S15 SR20.

- PowerFC being a complete replacement ECU does not have provision for the consult port, which is very handy when diagnosing issues.

- PowerFC is not stealthy, even with the hand controller unplugged it can be identified easily if the kick panel is taken off (which the cops have been known to do)

- Nistune utilises the factory cold-start maps, and has no issues with idle.

- Nistune retains the consult port.

- Nistune is stealthier given its a daughter board, unless you were to physical pull it apart you could never tell.

You could compare the two to death, but those were my main reasons.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I agree with the above statements, which is why I am also going to go to the Nistune. One big plus with the Nistune is that it is still in active development. Still, the PFC was the duck guts when it was released and I am sure at the time it was the only reasonable option. As I said it is long in the tooth and development has long since stopped which now shows. If it was still bening developed, it may be a different story.

Reaction score
Geez I opened a can with that one haha. I agree totally with both on this one, I think the Power FC WAS the be all to the SR and I know a few folks that swear by them still BUT I also have have heard more problem solving techniques people use to bandaid faults with it which is why I'm going with the NIStune. Besides if your tune is spot on then what good is that ugly arse handcontroller anyway, It's like dual stage B/C's you either want boost or ya don't ;)

(this is more like what a forum should be about not wether text talk should be allowed or not. Please Sir can I have some more educational car debate)

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
this is more like what a forum should be about not wether text talk should be allowed or not. Please Sir can I have some more educational car debate
I agree. If you don't text talk..... then things will be fine :)

On with the discussion.

SR2O

Reaction score
Had a few issues corrected by DrDrift (Sam). He also managed to squeeze out a little more power compared to my last run (250.7rwkw) Runs perfectly:

SR2O

Reaction score
Few new items added to the car over the last few months, I'll get some pics up later in the week:

- Koyo Type-R 53mm radiator
- Nismo Thermostat
- Defi DIN Cluster (Water Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure) along with the necessary sensors/adaptors. Faces are black, illuminates red
- Pioneer AVH-P6350BT single DIN touchscreen headunit
- Modified Digital Climate Control to illuminate with red LED's (Thanks Rob!)
- Painted the top tank of the Koyo Radiator, Fusebox and Fan Shroud in black VHT wrinkle to keep things looking factory

Reaction score
I wanna see some pics of the gauge setup as I am going that route to have matching DIN and instrument panel clusters. Sounds like a handful, I may be going the VE-T route though as I am getting a head for next to nothing, just piecing things together.