What's new

my old s15 makes a comeback!

K

kieran@silverback

some of you may remember me but most wont lol, i was around when s15oc was formed! i had sold the car to a friend, to start my business up back in 2007. Tom had the car since and had covered around 5000 miles in that time most of its life it sat in a carpark going to ruin :cry:

well i recently had the oppertunity to buy it back so drove down and collected it in the dark, it started but had a missfire we loaded it up onto the truck and drove it home:thumbs:

the next morning showed how bad the condition of the car had become, the bonnet (seibon) which i had fitted 6 years ago had gone milky, the paintwork had gone bad from tree sap, the wheels corroded, , under the engine bay looked neglected and full of cobwebs lol

looked into the missfire and after around 30mins came to the conclusion that we needed to remove the rocker cover, were we found the cam lobe had gone rusty on one side and spat the rocker out and the 2 shims on top of the valves had gone! after removing the sump we found the shims in the bottom thankfully put it all together and gently cleaned off the cams and started first time:thumbs: the interior of the engine with tthe exception of the cams was mint probabaly due the oil changes every 3k i did wihen i had it lol

there is some damage to the came though very light dig in the lobe, so good excuse to buy hks 264 cams me thinks:D anyone had any experience with these cams?

the speck has not changed from when it left me;

seibon bonnet
aftermarker front wings
apex 310 prake kit front
apex gen2 coilovers
whiteline arbs front and rear
full arm set front and rear (pillowball) amazingly have not siezed!
mongoose exhaust
fmic
apexi induction
corbeau boss seats
walbro pump
profec b 2 boost controller
strut braces
all basic stuff, but this time round want to take it further, im wanting a useable 400 bhp or near it really a weekend track toy for me though im already considering gearbox options the cars done 80,000 miles so thinking of going back to 5 speed? what you guys think?

pics to follow just remember its needs alot of love at the moment:D

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That's a nice story. Shame about the condition but I guess it saved you a few £££'s and gives the ideal excuse for a rebuild :) Looking forward to seeing pics of the progression though.

As for the gearbox.. The 5 speeds will snap just as easily as a 6 spd, but they just cost a lot less to replace when they do go bang!

K

kieran@silverback

lol, see this is my thoughts, if i sell the 6 speed now itll fetch me enough money for a decent clutch and flywheel setup and i have a good 5 speed sitting in the workshop :)
i remeber buying a short shift for my box and it costing around £200 at the time i sure it was c's racing or something alike? ive been reading some threads regarding cams too and was looking at going for 264 cams, but for the power i want it looks like 256 would do the job fine, along with a 2871, i wasntgoing to go for a larger turbo than that as i want quick useable power nothing lagtastic lol

i have kwok from kode performance poppnig over next week to talk about paint and bodywork ive known him years so know he will do a good job, he recently painted my girlfriends dc5 after she was rear ended.........that sounds so wrong lol but did a fantastic job. i was set on keeping with the aero styling but with aero parts hard to find im thinking about going the vertex route as it siuts the car so well, but im in 2 minds ?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'm sure stuart's looking forward to prepping another s15 after dealing with mine for a month lol

that setup is great mate, i run a 2871r with the 256 tomei's and a load of supporting mods and it makes 350/350 easily and spool is MONSTROUS :) in the wet, how does wheelspin in fifth grab you :D

looking forward to the pics mate

Last edited:
K

kieran@silverback

dean you sould pop over some time im only in medway city estate, did you bother witht the uprated spings on your cam setup?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
yep probably will do when i get my car back :) i did go for tomei type a springs at the same time.... sr springs are apparently quite weak and may cause valve bounce at high rpm with aftermarket cams. also went for a ras kit just in case. i'm totally happy with the setup - the only thing about the whole lot is vibration i get from the big single plate exedy, being single mass it can be a bit noisy and give off vibrations that the dual would normally dampen on rundown but other than that its all been great. might be something to bear in mind when choosing a clutch ;)

K

kieran@silverback

im not to fussy on the clutch makng too much noise, as long as its relaible lol, i remember an evo 6 i had years ago had a tripple plate clutch in it, that was noisey and damn hard to drive with lol great for lauches though lol

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm in th process of buying a set of Tomei 256's but was going to stick with the standard valve springs because the specs for the PonCams states you can use the originals or the Tomei uprated. so I was going to save money on springs/labour by sticking with the originals as the lift is only 0.5mm greater..?

Reaction score
I get a lot of noise from my exedy single too, but nothing like the twin plate I ran in my Gtir. I've just bought Tomei 256 cams and I'm keeping the stock valve springs as you don't require uprated ones for them, which saves a bit on cost.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i've no doubt they will work fine, but i was having the head gasket done then so the head was off and it made no more work

K

kieran@silverback

Makes sense to change if it's apart ! Crag how much was your cams and where from?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Mine are coming from America through a friend. They work out around £255 all in but they would normally be a fair bit more.

Best places to try would be FRSport or RHDJapan..

:)

K

kieran@silverback

thanks guys, ill ring round some of my uk contacts first im patient lol also i have a track day booked at brands on the 7th lol

K

kieran@silverback

still working on the cams, but accidently bought a vertex kit, smoked rear led lights, z32 rear brake set up and new rotors to replace the tired brakes on the front, oil cooler and relocation kit, looks like ill have a busy weekend!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
ok, it's just i know someone in lordswood that makes them, it's what i have fitted to mine ;) it's vertex, but not the same style as the ep one. are you going for a full respray with kwok then or just having the kit sprayed and fitted?

K

kieran@silverback

j4performance or similar? i tried dealing with them before as a business but they wasnt interested lol yes i am going for full respray as the paint work is buggered!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
this guy works from home and makes them from his own moulds in his workshop. good fit and quality too...