What's new

B9NKO's Spec S to Spec R Conversion

B9NKO

Reaction score
Hi my name is Tom and ive only just joined this forum, ive liked S15's for a while now and got the opertunity to buy a Lightning Yellow Spec S Auto for a very resonable price in absolutely immaculate condition with just less than 49000 miles on the clock, ive bought the car with every intention on converting it to a manual turbo, so i proceeded to look on the japanese auction sites to find a crash damaged spec r but my budget couldnt stretch that far and there were none coming availiable so i decided to bid on some S14's and finally won one with a suprising amount of modifications done to it which i wasnt aware of until id won it. Its not the route i was hoping for but im hoping it will work out ok?? Ive managed to buy some spec r clocks for it from japan and ive got an aero front bumper coming aswell, hoping that the container comes in on the 19th jan. There are a few things that im unsure of and if anyone has got any info for me i would be very grateful, and they are

Will i have any wiring issues when putting the engine in, will it be straight forward as just plugging it all in to the S15 loom?

Will the brakes off the s14 fit straight onto the s15's hubs

Does anyone know if its a big job fitting the clutch pedal and master cylinder

Ive read on here that i might have to wire up the speed sensor on the gearbox or diff?

This is the S14 ive got for the conversion, the mods are:-

Apexi FC Power Commander
Front Mount Intercooler
Coilovers
Full exhaust system (with some sort of exhaust flap)
Bride seats (not in great condition)
Boost guage
Turbo timer
Enkei racing s alloys i think

Any comment welcome sorry for how long the post is, this is the S15

Last edited:

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
yellow is nice and rare pal..

Mine started life as a spec S auto and now it's a 360bhp maunal turbo (s14 block with top mount turbo). I can't help though with the techie stuff as I'm rubbish that that sort of thing, I just give it to the pro's to do.

I think its pretty straight foward and I'm sure you can make it work.. good luck with it :)

Reaction score
Hi mate, welcome along!!!:wave:
You've done the right thing getting the s14 as a donar - pretty much everything you need for your conversion is on the 14. The coilovers, brakes, engine, box, clutch and brake pedals and engine loom can all be used straight swap. No problems with the speedo coz the s15 pulls its speed info off the abs sensors on the front hub. The only thing i can think of that wont fit is the exhaust(you have to get it shortened or vice versa). Good luck with the build!:thumbs::thumbs:

S

S15 SILVIA

Welcome
S14 looks a little ruff round the edges, but has got some handy parts for the S15. Some of the mods from the 14 should swap over easy enough too.
Exhaust will need adapting slightly. Brakes will swap over, as will the coilovers. The passengers bride looks good too.
Are you planning of stripping the 14 and selling the parts on, or were you going to swap things over and sell that complete after?
The S15 looks nice tho, and will look sweet with a few mods on her.
Look forward to your progress.

B9NKO

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments, Im going to sell everything off the s14 that i dont need and hopefully sell the shell? was thinking of advertising it on the sxoc forum and also going to have the sr20de engine and loom for sale with the auto box. cant wait for the container to turn up so i can get started!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
No problems with the speedo coz the s15 pulls its speed info off the abs sensors on the front hub.
It's the rear ABS sensor in the diff FYI ;)

Tom - If you've got a working donar car it really won't be too difficult at all - just take your time and don't cut coners and it should be fine. I live fairly locally so can offer a hand if you get stuck at any point :)

Out of interest, how much will the S14 set you back landed in the UK?

B9NKO

Reaction score
It's the rear ABS sensor in the diff FYI ;)

Tom - If you've got a working donar car it really won't be too difficult at all - just take your time and don't cut coners and it should be fine. I live fairly locally so can offer a hand if you get stuck at any point :)

Out of interest, how much will the S14 set you back landed in the UK?
The car should of cost me a bit less but the exchange rate crashed just as I bought mine but landed here in the uk it's going to be around the £3k which is a lot but its low mileage and got some good mods which will save me some money! Thanks for that Craig I might have to take u up on that offer if I get stuck??

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
£3k's not too bad - especially considering how much you'll be able to make back from it after you've had the parts you need.

B9NKO

Reaction score
£3k's not too bad - especially considering how much you'll be able to make back from it after you've had the parts you need.
Yeah I'm hoping to sell everything of the 14 to get some money back for it? The only thing I'll be missing for the project is the extra bracing the spec r has?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, you'll be missing the bracing. I'm not sure what interior trim parts you will need for the auto to manual conversion. The instrument cluster is different too.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
you can still use the auto cluster. Auss15 is using one.

B9NKO

Reaction score
you can still use the auto cluster. Auss15 is using one.
I've got a manual spec r cluster coming over with the car, I bought them in japan along with an aero front bumper. Just trying to find some rear spats now

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'll be making some fiberglass spats in a few months ;)

B9NKO

Reaction score
Does anyone know which diff i should use? as i think the auto diff has a different ratio? will the s14 diff go in or should i just leave the auto one is as they are both viscous lsd's anyone got any ideas thanks?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
There are a rew threads floating around already about diff ratios that may help you out :)

B9NKO

Reaction score
From what ive read and for the driving ill be doing the best option is to try and get a spec r helical diff i think? that will have to come at a later date i think!

B9NKO

Reaction score
just a quick update about my project, car arrived from japan on wednesday and was delivered to my work in a 40 ft container with my brothers s15 spec r and my friends evo wagon! gona start work on it this weekend, driven it today and it feels really fast, hard to keep it in a straight line? im pressuming it has got a 2 way diff in of some sort? I found out it has a near new blitz intercooler, and big brake upgrades front and rear. Not sure what bhp it is but it seems to be boosting 1 bar but havnt driven it on the road. here are some pictures and will advertise all the bits i am selling soon.

picture of the s15 with the wheels on its running 255/40/17 on the back so looks cool