What's new

Track worthy S15

MWTech

Trader
Reaction score
fantastic :D i love this

rota torques are also stunning! sold a set of 17 inch ones 2 weeks ago, time attack flat black with the red rim. lovely!

Reaction score
No, its got the .86 back enf, James. I'm getting full boost at 3.7k rpm, which is fine with me.

I sold the torques a few weeks back now, but I'm looking to maybe get some grid drift wheels unless something else catches my eye.

Reaction score
I picked something new up today, I drove all the way to Bristol for it aswell:D. Well, it's kind of new...

It's the largest GT3071R available, with the 56 trim comp wheel and 90 trim turbine wheel, so it's ready to flow alot of power. I was still toying with the idea of usuin my twin scroll manifold and HX35 until I saw this come up, so they'll be getting sold now.

I've taken the car off the road for winter now, so I saw it as a good oppertunity to take the old turbo off and get something a bit bigger for next year. I didn't go to Santa Pod either, which I was gutted about, i'd been planning it for weeks with a few mates and they all let me down 2 days before.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Awesome buddy!! :thumbs:

Looks a beast... so what power/torque you're aiming for eventually?? I've been interested in the HX turbos as an alternative to GT2871r but need to find out more about them. The GT30 series is too much for my needs so ruling these out although it's great to see these bigger units get onto other S15's :)

Reaction score
It's a big turbo, I ran pretty much the same spec one on my Pulsar at 1.7 bar, although I had a huge engine spec to go with it, and that car was brutal with it's power. I'm only really after 400bhp although I gave the car some good stick last week before taking it off the road to have a last bit of fun in it and with the much colder dense air i'm spinning the wheels up in 3rd gear rolling:D. So some stickier rubber is needed for next year too.

At the moment i'm unsure what to do engine wise, as I was going to leave the internals stock, but I may get a set of cams to make the most of the turbo and i've had an Apexi 1.1mm headgasket for my new engine sitting in it's box doing nothing. I was thining of running 1.5bar, but i'll see how things go when I take the car back to APT, to get mapped, next year.

I did alot of reading up about Holset turbo's last year and this year and thought I got a pretty brilliant setup to run with a high comp engine, but I never used it.

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Sounds wicked mate! :D

Yeah I've been hearing good things about Holset and as long as I can source one for my needs and it's bolt on then happy days as they seem a fair bit cheaper too...

Reaction score
The biggest issue I found wit Holset turbo's is getting the compressor wheel size to suit your engine, as being mostly commercial, is very difficult. Not only that, but Holset turbo's run on a different pressure ratio to Garrett mostly, so you need to run more boost for it to wake up as such. Info on them is incredibly difficult to find, but there is a U.S Holset forum that was good for reading.

You'll also find alot of them are twin entry/twin scroll, so you'd be wasting your time with a 4-1 manifold like everyone i've seen use one. You'd be far better running a twin scroll manifold. You'll not only prevent terrible scavenging but you'll be pulsing the turbine wheel like it was intended. However that's only relevant for something like the HX35 I was going to use(which would flow 60lbs + of air a minute and rated to 550bhp), as the smaller Holset stuff is generally single scroll. I don't see many HX30's, so I wouldn't be able to offer any valid info on them, which would be a likely comparison for a GT2871.

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers for the info Adam :) I think I really need to see up front or at least be able to speak to someone in this country that has had an HX30 fitted to an SR or very similar turbo RWD type of powerplant.

Wouldn't want to be the guinea pig and find lots of problems later down the line. It's not just down to cost as well, if the HX30 offers performance features that are more preferable than the 2871r then I'm not a 'brand whore' so to speak... just need to be sure it will work and will last :thumbs:

Reaction score
That's exactly why I picked a Holset turbo, as I know it'll work, you just need to make sure you pick the right one.

If you do fancy looking at units, make sure you're picking something with a well sized inducer on the compressor wheel and the less blades means better flow, as there'll be less air resistance. Check the 52 trim and 56 trim GT2871's to compare.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cool - what I'll do is get all the info about the design and details of the 2871r and esp read up on the compressor sizes/blades etc. Then compare this to something like the HX30 and see what differs. If I got any questions I'll post a new thread on here so we can all discuss and you can provide advice as I'm sure others will be interested in alternatives! Cheers again :)

Reaction score
Very little has happened recently because I went on holiday to Morocco, which was good fun :D and it's too cold to bother with much else. I needed an actuator and bracket for the GT30 but because the Compressor housing is so big on it, I wasn't sure the big style Garrett -31's would fit, so I didn't bother atall. I ordered a new GT series actuator from the States, as suprisingly I couldn't get hold of one from any of the UK suppliers, the part number wasn't even listed.

Anyway, fitted the actuator ad set a preload of 13psi. I've read loads of threads where people have had problems fitting GT30's on bottom mount manifolds with the big .50 a/r comp housing, but when I fitted mine it cleared the engine mount by miles, which was a common complaint.

That only being a trial fit as it was pitch black after getting home from work.

So, all i've got to do now is fit the turbo, get it remapped and then sort the road legal slicks and i'm ready for Spring next year when the car will be allowed back on the road :D

Reaction score
Really can't wait to get it back on the road, I'm itching to drive it. I thought i'd try out those Federal 595rsr's too as they've had good reviews and are less than half the price of Toyo R888's.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah I've also heard Federal 595's are awesome tyres with massive performance compared against the cost... 888's and Yoko's cost waaay too much!! :wack:

Reaction score
The car is still sat idle, as to be expected. I've been dying to buy some new wheels for it for a while now but decided it's not economic for me as i'm moving at the end of January so don't fancy spening £1k on wheels when I could just buy some small spacers for £10 to lower the et on mine a little, which is what I did. I haven't fitted them yet, but my wheels were pretty much level with the bodywork, I just wanted a pit of poke again.

I finished fitting the turbo a couple of weeks ago with all new pipework. The intake pipe took A LOT of fiddling about with as when you've got a 4'' intake there's not alot of room to play with. I sorted it in the end though at everything is snug as a bug.

I also saw Mart's rocker cover, from Little Knocks, for sale last week and quite liked it so got in contact and picked it up the same evening. The rocker cover on the car let the engine bay down massivley as the paint had cracked and was peeling. I fitted it earlier as the guv let us all go home early today, so I had some day light to work with.

Just as a quick note, Mart from Little Knocks came down to meet me in his Stagea R35 and that car simply looks the bollocks!!

A much fresher looking engine bay, in my opinion...

Reaction score
I've got nothing to show yet but I just went to look at some new wheels tonight and I think they'll look awesome on the car. I've been after an cool staggered set of JDM wheels for ages and then a mate gets hold of a set of Enkei RPF1's (Apparently they're off a Time Attack Evo in Japan) in very good nick. I'm going to try and get them on the car asap. I was also going to get them sprayed black but because they're in such good condition I don't think I can bring myself to do it.

Anyway, this is what I'm picking up at the weekend.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Looks ace Adam! :thumbs:

Martin does do them rocker covers with awesomeness lol!!

And those Enkei's are sweet!! Always love them... I'm sure those ones were up for sale on Driftworks or was it SXOC??

Reaction score
Yeah, they were on sxoc. The fella selling them has been a mate for years and only lives down the road, so I snapped them up. I've taken the tyres off them now and been getting quotes to spray them black, as I don't think I can put silver wheels on my car. I may even spray them myself if I get the time.

Reaction score
A couple of very small updates, almost pointless:wack:

I took the Enkei wheels to a well recommended refurb shop in Swindon today, they're being done flat black. I've also ordered 15mm spacers all round for them.

I fitted the spacers to my wheels a couple of weeks back, they look good (but i'm selling them when the Enkei's come back:rolleyes:). I also discovered i'd literally destroyed the tyres on the back after 2.5k miles. You can tell the diff has been working hard with the power as one tyre is literally bald, bar the outer tread, and the other is very low. After seeing that, it didn't suprise me I was having problems with grip in 3rd gear.

To solve the traction issues I had before I bought some Federal 595 RS-R's just over a week ago, which are now waiting to go on the new Enkei's

Reaction score
Well I picked up the wheels yesterday, I had a full refurb done on the whole set and done in flat black, I think they look awesome. Even the company I took them to liked the wheels, I had the owner asking me what model they were. I've not had a chance to fit them to the car yet as I moved house this weekend and I was lucky to have the time to collect the wheels, so just a quick picture of what they now look like until I get them fitted.