What's new

Andeep's 1999 Silvia Spec R "S15 FTW"

Reaction score
Yep gonna be going for an S14/a 200SX, Silvia or a PS13. Then I will have money to properly build it up. I could just save up money and make the S15 proper comp spec but I know eventually I will hit something and end up forking out a lot of money to have the shell repaired, or attempt to source a new one. Whereas S14 shells range from £500 to free.

Reaction score
Small update. Still building my S14, but am still driving the S15 and drifting it. I was getting fed up with the helical diff, so picked up one of these for cheap:

Draining the oil:

An S14 VLSD

I will be welding this up and rebuilding it into the S15 casing and put it in the S15. I might use this casing for my S14 build, or might use a Skyline casing with uprated drive shafts.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It looks just like a S15 helical LSD. I expected it to look totally different.

Reaction score
Took the diff off the S15 today. Was a bit of a pain as had to do it outside on the gravel as my S14a project is in the garage atm.

S15 diff on the left, S14 on the right:

Slight difference in diff casing. S15 one on the right:

S15 helical diff:

Spacers and bolts:

S15 helical on the left, S14a viscous LSD on the right:

Gonna clean up the S14 diff up tomorrow and weld it up.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Nice to see the difference side by side. The diff's are proper heavy things - I had to bench press mine back in yesterday too!

Reaction score
Finished the diff off today.

I installed the S14 VLSD into the S15 casing so that the speedo will still work.

After it was installed, I got welding it:

There are 4 big holes to completely fill with weld so all the gears get welded together. It took an entire 5kg reel of 0.8mm wire, but didn't even finish off a small bottle of gas.

I then cleaned the diff out and fitted the backplate on and filled it with some Castrol 80w-90 GL5 diff oil. This will be changed after about 100miles or so.

The diff lifted into the subframe surprisingly easily using a trolley jack. Everything was bolted up and the car drives.

My first impression of a welded diff - it is ****ING loud, I mean really really loud! There is a constant whine and its pretty annoying, but I suspect this is because the previous owner must have had the diff shimmed quite a bit - I couldn't turn the output shafts in opposite directions even before the diff was welded.

But this is all pretty normal really. Need to go to pod and properly test it out!