What's new

Andeep's 1999 Silvia Spec R "S15 FTW"

Reaction score
No. I've got a spare 6MT box to go on. In fact, I've got spare everything as I have a half stripped S15 in the garage :wack:
I wish I had a spare S15 I could nick parts off :p!

What's wrong with the gearbox on the car atm?

Also forgot to add that I loosened the engine mounts on the front subframe and used a scissor jack with a piece of wood to jack the front of the sump to angle the engine down. Also had to disconnect the intercooler piping and exhaust as this tips with the engine. Without this the gearbox won't clear the transmission tunnel. Also the gearbox needs to be rotated so that the starter is facing the ground or it won't clear. All this is is made a lot easier if you beat the transmission tunnel out to make more room.

Just give me a shout if you need any advice!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Only problem with this is that it doesn't have a mount for the exhaust hanger thing to bolt onto. Probably won't make too much of a difference, but I need to get a flexi downpipe. Also my downpipe is currently held on with one bolt as the studs kept breaking :down:
Ah I haven't been bothered about the exhaust mounting point since the day I fitted the Japspeed flexi downpipe and the bracket ends up being a million miles away from the mounting location haha :wack:

But I'd deffo get all studs sorted between downpipe and elbow if that's what you mean as when I had only one stud/nut loose it was blowing like a biatch!!

Reaction score
Have you got a Japseed downpipe and elbow? If so which ones did you get? The S14 ones?

Stuck on the gearbox mount today, gonna do some S1 tonight so will report back!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
haha S1 FTW!! :D

Yeah got the Japspeed downpipe plus elbow... I believe the sell specific fitment for the S15 as both parts slightly differ for the S14 - esp the downpipe fitment :thumbs:

Reaction score
I couldn't find the S15 downpipe on the Japspeed website. Will probably give them a call and see what they say.

S1 was good last night! The car feels pretty much the same, but can clutch kick it and not worry about the clutch dying!

I really need to sort out some sort of boot for the shifter as my duck tape which I had over it :)down:) came off and the gearbox oil started pissing out.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah single/twin plate clutches FTW when it comes to clutch kicking haha :D

No way... the duck tape came off?! :wack: Is the original boot really mashed up? I'd be inclined to see if some heat plus sealing chemical will help to make it gearbox oil proof again??

Reaction score
I've just used the S15 boot and duck taped it down as the boot is too big. Apparently Mr Nissan want £30 for the rubber boot!?! I think I'm gonna try and make one out of some marigolds or similar :D

Reaction score
I
What's wrong with the gearbox on the car atm?
I think the input shaft bearing has gone/is going. Makes a racket when the clutch is engaged (whines). Also grinds when slowing down in gear. I'll have to get it rebuilt.

I'll have a look in the garage. I might have one of those rubber boots.

Reaction score
Got the propshaft balanced yesterday as I used the front half from an S14 and the rear half was from my S15. I drove around before with an unbalanced propshaft and the vibrations were crazy! It was completely out of balance.

Got it done from Propshaft Engineers in Feltham, great guys there!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Good work. How much do they charge to balance a shaft out of interest?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That's not bad is it. Have you got any DWYB days planned any time soon to try out the new setup?

Reaction score
Couldn't make DWYB on the 15th as something came up, but gonna change the ticket and attend the next one.

Been sorting out the garage lately, I bought a tool cabinet and put a computer with internet into the garage. After much research I bought the Halfords Industrial one as it is very good, and you get the top part free with the bottom part:

The computer that I put in:

How she sits in the garage:

Reaction score
I needed to put a Walbro and grade 7 plugs in, so I ordered these bits:

I'm going to hardwire the Walbro in so that there's no voltage drop at the fuel pump which can cause problems. A lot of the S14 boys have had voltage drops and solved this by hardwiring the pump in, so I've done this anyway as a precautionary measure.

You will need the following:
30amp Relay
12AWG Gauge Wiring
Blade Fuse holder with 12AWG wiring
30amp Blade Fuse
Various Crimp Connectors (you need the yellow ones to accommodate the thickness of the wire)

I'll be routing the wiring from the battery through the fuse box as this seems like a good idea to keep the hardwired fuel pump fuse with the other fuses in the engine bay:

First thing is to crimp a 6.3mm ring terminal to the fuse holder. The fuse holders wires were a lot longer, but I cut them down to leave the shortest distance between the battery and the fuse:

I was never a fan of using butt crimp connectors to connect wiring together, but it was impossible to solder the 12AWG wiring together as its too thick and my soldering iron isn't powerful enough to heat the entire joint to allow the solder to flow correctly. So I used butt connectors, and they are surprisingly okay to use, the joint is very firm and I can't pull it apart:

This is how I routed it through the fuse box:

You can flip this flap open and bring the wire out without drilling holes in the fuse box:

The fuse box lid will have to be notched slightly where the cable enters from the battery:

There's a grommet in the firewall near the clutch master cylinder, feed the wire through this and it comes out just above the pedals in the driver's footwell:

I routed the cable into the console as I want to eventually put a switch there so I can turn the fuel pump off for safety reasons:

The wiring can then be routed around the bottom of the steering column trim, making sure it doesn't rub against anything, then into the kick panel and down the side of the car under the 'Silvia' trim:

Reaction score
The rear seats need to be removed, and the plastic trim needs to be removed to route the cable:

And into the boot:

The cable then can be cut to the correct length:

The end needs a crimp connector to connect to the relay:

Next I sorted the ground cable out, it needs a ring terminal on one end to ground to the cars body, and a female spade on the other to connect to the relay:

The cable should be as short as possible:

That's all for now folks, I've got a cold and feel like crap. So will continue later on!

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
That's ok. I will move it. :)

Only one problem, the computer wasn't on S15OC!!!! Just kidding.

Looks good mate.

I must admit, i have heard about the voltage drop on the fuel pump, but I have never heard it being a problem on the S15's

Reaction score
TBH it only cost something like £15 for the bits of wiring and connectors, so I thought I might as well. Also I want to put in the safety cut off switches, so this was probably the best way of going about it.

Just need to find a toggle switch that will take 30amps that doesn't look ancient!

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ask Craig, he may be able to find you a guarded rocker switch.