What's new

My AUDM 200SX Tomei 2.2

T

tinto

Hello,

I started putting this in the introductions thread, but thought this was a better place for it...

I'm Martin, and have owned his car for about 5 months now.
I have an Aussie delivered 2002 200SX that I bought in a heavily modified state... photos after the novel-length mod list ;)

Modifications:

Engine
5Zigen Pro Racer A-Spec Exhaust
6Boost High Mount Manifold
Block & Head Machining, Port and Polishing (Race prepped)
Bosch Fuel Pump 044
Embleton Oil Catch Can
Embleton Radiator Overflow Tank
Embleton Stainless Air Induction pipe to filter
Embleton Stainless Steel Dump Pipe
Embleton Stainless Steel Intercooler Piping
Embleton Stainless Steel Screamer pipe
Embleton Steampipe run to External Gate
EMS Stinger ECU
Engine Tune (Tenagah)
Enzed Braided Lines with Earls Fittings
GReddy Intake Plenum
Greddy Type R Blow-off Valve
HKS Intercooler Core (600mm X 244mm X 65mm)
ITS 60-1 Turbo
Koyo Triple Core S15 Radiator
Nismo 740cc Injectors
Nismo Engine Mounts
Nismo Oil Filler Cap
Nismo Radiator Cap
Optima Deep cycle Battery + Boot Install (Including 2 Rockford fosgate 200amp Fuse Breakers)
Sard Fuel Pressure Regulator
Splitfire Super Direct Di Ignition System
Tial 38mm External Wastegate
Tomei 2.2L Stoker Kit (2188cc)
Tomei Cam Gears
Tomei Cams 260deg 12mm lift
Tomei Headgasket
Tomei Ornament Plate
Tomei Oversized Oil Pan (600cc Extra)
Tomei Rocker Arm Stoppers
Tomei Valve Springs

Transmission
Nismo Solid Shifter
Nissan S14a Gearbox
OS Gilken Twin Plate Clutch

Suspension
Nismo Front Strut Tower Bar
Tein Super Street Coilovers (soon to be KW ClubSports)

Brakes
Bendix Pads
DBA Slotted Front Rotors (R33)
Nissan R33 GTS-T Callipers

Interior
Blitz SBC i-D Spec R
Defi BF Exhaust Temperature 60mm gauge
Defi BF Oil Pressure 60mm gauge
Defi BF Oil Temperature 60mm gauge
Defi BF Water Temperature 60mm gauge
Defi Control Unit II
Nismo Black Aluminium Gearknob
Trimcare New Black Leather Gearboot Surround
Single Black Velo GP90 Bucket seat & Rails

Exterior
Nismo Smoked Side Indicators
Respray Engine bay + Under Bonnet
Respray Exterior of Car
Spec R Sideskirts
Standard Nismo S15 Rear Pods

Alloys & Tyres
Hankook Ventus RS-2 (225 front, 265 rear)
BBS LM 18 x 8.5 front, 18 x 9.5 rear

Security
Autowatch Car Alarm + Additional Unit

More pics from the original owner over here:
http://www.silviawa.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44142&hl=

Leather was never going to work for me, so that came out and in went a Velo Bucket.
I wanted to support an Aussie company, and the seat has been great.

These pics were taken at a Superkhana on the weekend, and appear in this Flickr account - http://www.flickr.com/photos/mischief_racing/

As this is predominantly my track car, (I drive my Golf GTI Pirelli every day) it doesn't see a huge amount of driving unless it is to / from an event. It takes me a little while to switch my brain to RWD (and get on the gas earlier), but I bought it to have fun, and it has delivered by the truckload!

Future plans?
Sort out my water temp problems on the track (relatively easy fix)
Get a retune and turn up the wick a bit (currently what I consider 'detuned' at 372hp... but still scary)
Remove the rear seats and panel out the huge gaping hole that will be left
A roll cage of some sort
A 5 point harness as I'm still moving about a bit too much
I may need to remove the roof liner - helmet was bumping against it, and I'm not a tall guy!
Strip and paint the BBS gunmetal - reverse the face to give some more dish.

I bought a more solid platform than I could have hoped for. When I added up the price of doing these mods to a stock car myself, I realised what a bargain it was.

Your comments most welcome!

T

Toby

Looks impressive.

Can you describe you;re water temp porbs, and how you plan to fix them?

T

tinto

Thanks guys :)
Problems are only arising on the track after about 3 hot laps (with plenty of of WOT).
Around the streets there's never an issue at all, as I don't drive hard on the public roads.

The main issue is that is a dense FMIC, and when it was installed the lower liner that would usually contain the air flow from the front of the car to the radiator was cut away.
This means the air comes through the intercooler, then drops out the bottom of the car - i.e. the radiator isn't flowing enough air.
So I'm having the rear of my intercooler boxed through (with some thin sheet metal) to the front of my radiator.
This ducting should have the effect of forcing that post FMIC air into the radiator - which is massive and has dual fans so should be more than up to the task of keeping the car cool.

I've also got a nismo thermostat, but I'll put that aside until I see how this simple ducting fix goes.

There's no greater buzzkill on the track than thinking you're baking your car at 120+ degrees C and having a Defi screaming at you to cool things down ;)

T

Toby

I am having the exact same problem

My car didn't actually have and undertray when i picked it up, Ive read FMIC can cuase issues with clearence however Ive bought a new one from my local nissan dealership and I'm going to have ago at getting it back on there.

I was going to get a custom one made up, however the std nissan item does look like a fair amount of thought has gone into it!

Have you thought about installing sheet metal between both sides of the of the FMIC and Radiator so the air cant vent out the sides too?

I see you have an upper colling pannel too, Ive got my self of the group buy on here for one of those to stop ari venting out the top!

Keep me updated on how you get on mate :)

T

tinto

Yep we're on the same page there!
I bought the Greddy cooling panel thinking the top airflow was my issue, but it is just dropping out the bottom.
When I look at the current setup dropping out the bottom is clearly the path of least resistance, and the workshop confirmed it for me.

The solution is actually going to be a full box (like a square tube if you like) running from FMIC to radiator, not just top/bottom or sides. There shouldn't be too many leaks :)

Good luck getting yours sorted out too!

T

Toby

I imagine the upper colling pannel does work, but on the flip side encourages air to come out the bottom instead!

Yes I've thought about the Box idea before, But I'm going to get my undertray on 1st.

Heres some links you may find intresting

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2159/article.html

2 - (Undertrays) http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2160/article.html

3 - http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2162/article.html

The 2nd links is very handy - Its not just stopping air from flowing out, but creating a low pressure zone behind the radiator to encourage air to pass through.

Reaction score
Yes nice. I remember that car from Fast4s or Performance Imports mag plus had a feature as the ultimate SR20 build. Horn.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Very nice :) great spec... I have a top mount as well, so just wandering if you have a 3" downpipe? as with my top mount it dosen't leave much room so we had to use 2.5". on the look out for another manifold to make more room..

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Awesome build mate!! I've got real love for top mount turbos lol :D

I've also got water temp cooling issues and this is still with the air con rad in place (will be removed soon!!). I run an oil cooler as well as 50mm Japspeed rad which is cooled by two 12" electric fans. Stock thermostat wired in to kick them in at 90 deg centigrade. Also fitted a Garage Defend slam panel.

Pushing hard on the Nurburgring (on a very hot day) I was able to run a couple of laps (~13 miles each lap) and from then on, even with cooling off periods in between the water temp was hitting 120 deg after getting halfway round which made me back off :(

T

tinto

Thanks for the comments guys :)
I wish I could claim to have done more (well, any) of the work!

Very nice :) great spec... I have a top mount as well, so just wandering if you have a 3" downpipe? as with my top mount it dosen't leave much room so we had to use 2.5". on the look out for another manifold to make more room..
I'm not sure what size it is - it is a custom downpipe, so I'd hope it was 3" - manifold is a 6boost, so hopefully it was designed with space in mind!

Do you still have the undertray on you're car mate?
Just the centre section is missing, although I'm looking at getting an undertray/lip from the guys at topstage.com.au, so I think all of the OEM stuff will become redundant soon enough.

Just saw this image from bodyworx's thread - I hope he doesn't mind me linking it as a comparison as to what is missing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I love hearing about owners with stroker kits installed on their rides. I'm toying with the idea myself and I'm beginning to think that the low end torque is worth the asking price. I'm still planning to run a bottom mount setup. It's hard getting hands on details on various kits other then what I've read in various Option and Drift Tengoku magazines :( And no one locally has a stroker setup so I have to go by what other tell me.

So then...Have you driven a normal SR20 equipped car? If so then do you think the low end grunt is worth it? (Was a stroker high on your wish list?). I'm asking because this is a track car and I'm planning to use mine for track (Race but mostly drift) and weekend fun duty.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah I've been toying more and more with the idea of a 2.2 stroker as well. Looking to buy a second SR20DET high mileage cheaper engine block so I can strip her down and rebuild with new parts etc :)

In the UK we now have Apex Performance selling their 2.2 stroker kit and the price is much less than Tomei and HKS but I'm not sure about the quality and reliability plus need to ensure the new balanced crank is up to the job. Although they seem to be planning on supplying their kits with CP pistons which I've heard are a decent brand maybe?

Apex kits will have the following: crank, pistons, rings, gudgeon pins, circlips, rods and ARP bolts - think it's retailing around 1500 GBP.

T

tinto

New coilovers (KW ClubSport) went in over the weekend.

They went deeeeep when we first lowered it down.

Looked pretty mean at this height (yes I've been given **** about the webs/garden crap stuck to my side pods) :)

Raised at the rear to to the current height - new alignment coming next week to get it ready for fun

Overall I'm very happy - I expect them to drop another 5mm or so over the coming days as things settle in.

The car was in at the workshop (C-Red) today getting braided brake lines made up for each corner, and having my oversize/underdrive water pump pulley installed.

I'm looking forward to getting this on the track with an aggressive alignment and tweaking the damping to suit. Hopefully my heat problems are gone and I can concentrate on driving!

Better pics to come after the alignment.