What's new

Toppers S15

Reaction score
Country
Very cool (excuse the pun), got mine in the group buy on SXOC but havent recieved it yet (not that ive got a car to fit it in)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Very nice,

I just Cracked my Tomei Expreme Mani in two just like you.... Figured something from Tomei would last longer than 4 months..lol
A little surprised to hear that, bit of a kick in the teeth after spending that amount on one.

K

kazama

hey there Topper. How's things ? lotsa new goodies for your ride huh ? ;)

Did you notice cooling to be better with the electronic fans as compared to the conventional clutch fan ?

S

sillbeers15

There are pros and cons to having electric fans and mechanical fan.

Track and drift sessions load the car heavily so a mechanical fan does the job well.

In start, stop idle traffic, the mechanical fan is not efficient, so electric fan works well with either thermostat control or preprogrammed temperature control.

To have the best of both worlds, I've kept the mechanical fan, installed a 2 speed S14 fan (overseas/export version) controlled by the HKS Fan Controller and two optional fan switches to force draft at either electric fan speed I require to keep my Toyo aluminium 52mm thick radiator working well. the HKS Fan Controller allows 2 sets of cut in temperature and 2 sets of cut out temperature to control the electric fan. As I have installed a HKS oil cooler that kicks in at 80 deg C. I've set my low speed fan to kick in at 80deg C and kick out at 78 degree C. On high load situations and hot climate days, i have provision for the high speed fan to kick in at 98 degree C and kick out at 95 degree C.

I DIY the fan controller and manual switchs circuit design and installation.

K

kazama

Track and drift sessions load the car heavily so a mechanical fan does the job well.

In start, stop idle traffic, the mechanical fan is not efficient, so electric fan works well with either thermostat control or preprogrammed temperature control.

To have the best of both worlds, I've kept the mechanical fan, installed a 2 speed S14 fan (overseas/export version) controlled by the HKS Fan Controller and two optional fan switches to force draft at either electric fan speed I require to keep my Toyo aluminium 52mm thick radiator working well. the HKS Fan Controller allows 2 sets of cut in temperature and 2 sets of cut out temperature to control the electric fan. As I have installed a HKS oil cooler that kicks in at 80 deg C. I've set my low speed fan to kick in at 80deg C and kick out at 78 degree C. On high load situations and hot climate days, i have provision for the high speed fan to kick in at 98 degree C and kick out at 95 degree C.

Thats a very interesting read. Thanks for the heads up buddy.

Last time before I changed my radiator, my car's water temp was very high !
Like in traffic, it will be 80-90, and during spirited drives, it even went up to 105-110.
So I had to stop the car, pour water on the radiator and just let it cool down for a while.

I soon got that fixed with a Greddy aluminum radiator, it can hold 4.2 litres of water/coolant.
Temperatures drop to about 65-75 in mid day traffic and the
highest I see it went before after a spirited drive was 90 degrees.
Which was really money well spent.

Alot of people advised me not to go down the electric fan route as they say that the fan is not efficient enough at higher revs.
But how come there are quite a number of track Silvias/Skylines who opt for the electric fan in Japan ?

S

sillbeers15

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
**** Update 23.04.09 ****

Car past its MOT today :thumbs:

Few more things to do before she will be ready for the season ahead (see "weird boost" thread), have had my front calipers rebuilt, dont have a picture of them fitted, but here is a pic i do have

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Its insured from Monday, getting taxed tomorrow, service once oil and filter arives, couple of other things to do, then she'll be ready. I'm sure i can make it along to one of your meets, dont want you having all the S15 love ;) :thumbs:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Topper!!!

Haven't seen you on here for ages (unless I keep missing your posts lol)... thought you sold your 15??!! :wack:

Hope you're well buddy :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Most of you guys probably know by now, but my HG has gone.......

Have stipped the engine down, shipped off the head to be skimmed and pressure tested and have now started the rebuild.

This is how it looks at the moment:

Hope to get her up and running again soon, havent used her much since my last post above :rolleyes:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Its already been done, this is it going back together :)

Was skimmed and pressure tested at Agra Engineering in Dundee :thumbs: They cleaned it up nice for me too

Reaction score
Hi Topper,

Cars looking ace,

I notice you have the Vertex Kit on your car, I have just ordered this kit from EP-racing. Is this where you got yours?

What was the fitment like?

Cheers