What's new

Toby's Silvia!!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
From what I understand Nistune only offers 2 benefits from the H-dev chip - neither i will ever need.

- Allow the user to Map it them self's - no way im playing with that!!

- Allow other companies top map the car - Horsham Are the closest mapper to me, and I see no reaosn why I would not use them again, and for that matter, why I would need to have the car mapped again anyway - Engine wise its pretty much complete now and nothing shoudl need ot ever change.

Can't wait for Mapping either, what Boost do you think is safe to run?

Never say never! ;)

You should be good to run 1.25bar I guess. Would it not be good to run it lower first though until things get bedded in?

T

Toby

Update time!

I drove up to Horsham, the drive up totalled about 750 miles of running in time on Mineral oil.

Soon as we got there we dropped the oil out for some fully synthetic.

Jez plugged the laptop in, and strait away failure #1 - My lamba sensor is fubar, so this is swapped out!

The H-dev chip is fitted to my ECU, while another chap fits the Nismo Injectors, and Z32 AFM.

A base stage 3 map is applied to the chip, and we drive to Surry Rolling road for mapping on there dyno.

Talking about what boost to run, Jez says the car will be happy at 1.4bar, however the Gearbox will die.... so we agree a round 330bhp should be safe, and doable with around 1.2bar...

Start mapping on the dyno and power starts hiking up, run after run.

They get to 335is IIRC, however power is dropping uqite early on - around 6000rmp and its goes strait down, the car also sounds like its on a slow rev limiter.

Apparently this is down to my valve springs (they wear over time) and this is causing the valves to open early with the influx in power, so boost is wound back down to just over 1bar, and the car makes 313bhp, and 290ftlb ATF.

I was a little dissapointed, and was expecting a fair bit more torque and knew i would have 330bhp in what is effectively a de tuned state.

However after driving the car back, The figures really do mean very little. The car is a completely new animal now and rips :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Is this with a GT2871R fitted mate? Figures don't look too bad for just over 1 bar. Mine is mapped to 1.2 bar and pushes around 292 bhp / 327 lb ft but this is on stock turbo, injectors and AFM...

Hopefully she's now got power and torque spread more throughout the rev range so even though graphs tail off after 6000 rpm like mine you got lots of usable power/torque lower down and this is where the grin factor is :)

T

Toby

That is with the 2871 mate yes!

I'm a bit miffed with the torque, as I would have expected that to be up in the 300's but yes like you say the power is spread out loads more!

I'll be getting the valve springs done in the next few months and see how the car feels after that, but I need to sort my brakes out and buy an oil cooler first.

I bought an undertray from nissan, and water temps are alot steddier than they were before, It required a bit of modification with the FMIC on the car but was easy enough!

Oil temps get into the 110+ very quickly indeed, so after brakes this will be the next item on the list!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Nice one buddy - do you find the 2871 characteristics not far off from the standard tubby? Take it you got the .64 AR which spools slightly quicker? I think after toying with the idea of a T3 GT30 kahoona top mount turbo kit I'm now back to the idea of a 2871... grrr can't make my mind up lol :wack:

Whilst you get the valve springs done you might as well get rocker arms stoppers and MHG (get the impression you need MHG for running over 1.2 bar etc just as precaution)...

My oil temps were shocking on track before I fitted oil cooler... would hit 120 easy after 2 to 3 laps of Silverstone National circuit. With an oil cooler I do still get to 120 after a while but more like 6 to 7 laps now (15 mins) instead of before!

T

Toby

They are very similar indeed, I'm still playing about with the gizmo as I'm convinced I can get it on full boost earlier than it is now (just before 4000rpm)

The biggest improvement is how it holds its boost alot further on through the revs.

The valve springs won't be a head off job, I already have a Cometic 1.9mm HG anyway.

What size cooler do you have atm? I'm unsure where is going to be best to fit it, Its a toos up between where you've stuck yours, Or infront of the Rad - but I'm a little worried that will hamper water cooling....

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
1.4 bar on the standard turbo would kill it in no time, surely? On a daily basis I only run 1.0 bar with a progressive boost build up and it still feels quick and pulls extremely well, so dont be too miffed! Eventhough it's not as quick I actually enjoy driving it like this more than on the higher boost setting.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Ahh, that explains it. I suppose I should have read the posts above a bit better first too! :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah the stock tubby seriously runs outta puff as soon as it initially hits 1.2 bar which is how mine is mapped... like complete opposite to VTEC lol :)

Oh yeah forgot you can get to the valve springs with just cam cover removal so not as much of a PITA as I thought!

Just for reference my Gizzmo is set to:

DUTY 67
GAIN 23

and I get a nice smooth responsive build up of power delivery but I'm sure my peak boost is no earlier than around 4000 rpm as well. I'll have to dig out last set of graphs I got from Steve after remap showin boost response.

Do you mean size of my intercooler core? It's an Apex Type 2 (which uses original OEM routing) so the core is smaller than other aftermarket brands as well as their own Type 1 regular FMIC product. But it's good for over 400 bhp without noticeable flow issues etc :thumbs:

T

Toby

Ahh, My Duty is set to 72, and the Gain I think it 18.

Nope the size of you're oil cooler i mean mate!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Found the graphs mate :)

You're right about wanting full boost slightly earlier - first graph shows my 1.2 max @ 3700 rpm... second graph shows a healthy 327 lb ft at virtually the same rpm. No wonder she's got so much pull early on... love it :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ahh, My Duty is set to 72, and the Gain I think it 18.

Nope the size of you're oil cooler i mean mate!
doh!! lol

Cooler was purchased from Driftworks so it's a pretty standard 19 row oil cooler size. Soz dunno the exact measurements but it fits snug in front and above the washer bottle on the drivers side of the front end :)

T

Toby

Yes, thats very very decent mate, and that torque would probably stay up longer if it wasn't for the old actuator!

T

Toby

Tinkered about with the Gizmo alittle more now, I have the Gain on 25 and I've definetly got the turbo spooling up earlier, maybe by about 600rpm!

I re fitted the tein super streets the car came with today, to see how they feel on 17's and my word the differance is increadbale, I've got the front on the lowest setting, witch is still not that low, but for the roads where I live just right!

The car feels so much more planted, and predicatable yet somehow manages to be mroe comfortable at the same time!

Love it!

Mate of mine is looking at taking up photography as a new hobby so went for some night shots with his basic bridge camera!

Strawbery face

:ghey: