What's new

Craig's S15

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
mate its looking stunning - really clean and tastefully modified. :). sorry to hear about the elbow cracking, what a pain. i think its just a lottery with the stainless exhaust stuff - i bought a cheap ebay ths performance one nearly 2 years ago and its still going strong......

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cheers mate :) Yeah, it is a bit annoying, especially as the elbow is only a year old! I've bitten the expensive bullet of buying a new setup from Japan, so hopefully it will last a bit longer! The welders have done a really good job on the Japspeed elbow though so it'll probably last a while yet! Need to finish of my eleccy fans now for my MOT tomorrow afternoon :)

Reaction score
Country
What a clean looking ride...It's simple and effective (This is odd as I like the "loud drift style look). I love it!

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cheers mate ^^ :)

Just a small update.. I took the Silvia back to Martin (LK Drifter) @ LittleKnocks again on Thursday to get the bodywork machine polished so it's even more shiny now! Big thanks again Martin, and for the free car-wash!! :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
A free car wash is always good :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It sure is!! :)

Forgot to mention that I finished installing the eleccy fan setup too and that is working perfectly now. I've set the revotec controller to kick in at 92C and off at 82C, but I think I might modify the setup to run a relay from the plug that went to the standard electric fan, as this will also control the fans for AC too and hold the temp within a tighter range. This also would mean I can get rid of the revotec (which looks messy IMO) and use the standard electronic control which comes in at 95C and off at 90C.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Looking nice mate!! :D

I always thought the leccy fan for the OEM setup (contained within the stock shroud) only kicked in at very high temps?? So in reality, thought the only decent way to control water temps was to use the Revotec controller unit?! :wack:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The standard single leccy fan definatly kicks in at 95C and off at 90C and is controlled by the ECU. I used to keep a close eye on the water temps through datascan before installing the twin fans :)

There are a few things I don't like about the revotec, which is enough to make me want to get rid of it and use a modified version of the original system. As soon as the Samco hoses are here from the GB I'll fit them take the revotec out.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ah we'll have more of a chat about this as I'm about to get you to help me install my twin leccy fan setup plus Revotec but not sure as I need to know what you don't like about this method of cooling...

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, no problem mate, it's a nice job to do actually!

I would chat about the revotec on here but it'll take me forever to write. Don't get me wrong, it is a good bit of kit but the standard system combined with the twin fan setup will do a perfect job, keeping the water temp within a tighter range than the revotec does, minus all the wires and messy look of the revotec. :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cool that's sold it for me :) Will be in touch soon about getting this fitted and suppose it's even better for my setup as you already know, the top silicone pipe for the rad is at a very tight angle/fit... trying to cut it and introduce a Revotec inline adaptor would just be a total ballache * When you know summat on an S15 is going to be a PITA... it always is!!! *

Cheers mate - chat soon!! :thumbs:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Exhaust update time!

After seeing and hearing about people removing the mid-box from HKS systems, I thought I'd have a go too! I wanted to get the HKS Hi-Power Spec R exhaust which is a titanium one-piece system without the centre box, but the £1000+ price tag put me off a little, so I thought I'd get something similar made myself!

Started off with a brand new HKS Hi-Power muffler (as the last one sounded so good!) courtesy of Apex Performance and finished the job with a trip to MIJ Performance in Walsall for them to make the rest of the system for me. Taking inspiration from the HKS Spec R system, I decided to keep it one-piece and as I have never fitted a cat to the car, I decided to incorporate the decat into the system. So Now I have one continuous section from the back box, and flanged onto the downpipe :) MIJ did a really good job making the rest of the system, using preformed mandrel bent angled sections and 3" stainless pipe, stainless TIG welded and finished off with a machine polish.

When on idle and cruising I swear it is quieter than my old Hi-Power system, but on WOT it makes a lot of noise combined with some 'thrust' too. Love it! :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
nice work mate. looks great.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
does look good mate, hard to make out in a couple of the pics but looks really nicely made :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cheers guys :)

I just booked it in again at Weston Performance for a RR to check the AFR's etc, so expect some more graphs soon! :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Rolling Road time!

I've done a few bits and pieces to the car since my remap so thought it would be a good idea to get it on the RR to see how the AFR is doing, so I went down to Weston Performance again for another RR session on their new Dyno Dynamics RR. It really is a top bit of kit, especially in the sound absorbing Dyno Cell they have had built.

We originally planned to do a couple of runs to see how the fuelling was on the low and high boost settings that I have, but the rears were spinning up so we strapped it down tighter, dropped the tyre pressures and did a few extra runs to try and get a good graph but couldn't stop it spinning. Nether the less it still made 317bhp and around 306ft-lbs of torque at just 1.1bar - with the wheels slipping!

The fuelling is very slightly lean but I was told it's nothing to worry about as it's not near the 'det' territory. Apparently I'll just loose some torque because of it and a very small amount of power. I'll look into getting another remap soon to richen up the mixture but may aswel fit the injectors and AFM at the same time. And maybe some PonCams, but who knows! :p

Anyway, the graphs. Excuse the juddering line - thats where it started spinning. Time for some new tyres maybe!?

High boost setting (GOLD coloured lines) - rapid boost climb peaking at 1.09bar - Max Power - 317.0 BHP. Max Torque 306 Ft-Lbs

Low boost setting (PURPLE coloured lines) - smooth and steady boost climb peaking at 0.86bar - Max Power 293.4 BHP. Max Torque 251 Ft-Lbs.

AFR and Boost - (247.7 HP is WHP on Low Boost. WHP on High Boost was 268.1 HP)

Again..

High boost setting (GOLD coloured lines)
Low boost setting (PURPLE coloured lines)

Overall I'm quite happy with the restults. Just need to get the fuelling sorted now for a bit more torque :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Looks nice and smooth mate - apart from the juddering lines of course lol :p :D

Great figures too although like to see more torque as your mods are surely pretty much the same as mine :thumbs:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, the reason the torque is low is because we couldn't get true figures as it was spinning on the rollers and because fuelling is a bit lean.

I'm quite happy with it overall though as the power figure is nice and high. I know people bang on about torque and I can see why, but when you're 'on it' your using revs that are out of the proper torque band anyway.

My EK9 had 182bhp, but only a measly 118 ft-lbf, and that was quick as funk for a bean can. Yeah, it wasn't great on the motorways in 5th, but it wasnt designed to be. For a daily driver I would want lots of torque but with the amount and how I use this car the map suits me well. :)