What's new

SillbeerS15's small update

S

sillbeers15

Toper,

Errrr...my new rear TE37 correct offset is +35 instead of +27 I've previously posted.

Hummm.....I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway in my current setup with the 8.5j +40, I've installed a 20mm spacer to widen my rear track and covered the arch with a add on fender flare. The clearance is paper thin against the wheel arch from the rear wheels and tyres.

As I've calculated, 9.5j is 1 inch or 25.4mm more from center compared to 8.5j with 20mm spacer installed, so for the distance between the wheel against wheel arch is reduced by 12.7mm + offset reduction of (40mm - 20mm - 35mm = -15mm) = - 2.3mm
A insignificant difference.

I'm more worried at the rear wheel extending into the wheelwell. The 12.7mm increase from 9.5j to 8.5j will be reduced by (40mm - 5mm = 5mm) = 7.7mm compared to stock 8.5j location w/o 20mm spacer installed.
A recent check for clearence under my car with 8.5j installed with 20mm spacer revealed a slightly > 30mm clearence at the closest point the rear wheel gaps over the rear coilovers. My calculation indicates a clearance of 7.7mm + 20mm will be taken up by the new 9.5j setup. So that leaves me about 12mm clearence.

I just hope that there will be no unforseen surprises!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Didnt realise there was that much room back there, i had looked to go for a 9j +40 setup, that i can fill out with spacers if needed, but a 9.5j +35 i would expect to be past the stock arch? I.e. if you didnt have the stick on pieces, they would stick out?

P

pablo

9.5 on an et30 (with 235)rubs on the arches if too low. and tread is just poking out. camber and stretch would sort this maybe

many people run the rota 9.5 et 30 wheels and just get away with it

S

sillbeers15

I still have my stock paint and body work maintained at prinstine condition since new.....

It will be such a waste to crack up the rear fenders for widebody installation + repaint the whole damn car.......hummmmm.

I'ld better stick to overfenders!

The RE55S tyres and TE37 wheels will arrive in these couple of days.

Last edited:
M

mr-s

Awesome looking ride bud:thumbs:

If i imagined how i'd want my future S15 to look, it wouldn't be far from that!:D

Scott.

S

sillbeers15

200sxy & mr-s,

Thanks to both of you for your kind comments.

I've kept functional over visual as priority for my project car.

If only for pure visuals....I would have 20" bronze wheels, bigger brakes and a bespoke wide body with military green splashed over my S15.

The 22" on my other Nissan weight > double of my 18" TE37 on my S15.

S

sillbeers15

I've done some update to my ride,

1. Replaced the Pioneer PEH-P9450 with the Pioneer AVH-P6850DVD with CD-BTB100 Bluetooth adapter.

The double din LCD provides a flushed OEM look to the Silvia's interior. My next installation will be the HKS CAM II to hook up the HKS F-CON V Pro vital information display on the LCD screen. I also intend to display the exhaust temp, oil temp and oil pressure on the LCD screen after I install the CAM II.

The bluetooth adapter allow me to answer and dial calls from my Nokia N95 mobilephone and play tunes stored in my phone when it is placed in range other than the standard iPod connector for iPod/iPhone playtunes only.

Pic of Pioneer AVH-P6850DVD in my car

Pic of Pioneer steering wheel mounted remote control

2. New set of Volks Racing TE37s (White) with Potenza RE55S

Front: 7.5" x 18" (+30mm offset) with 225/40/18 tyres
Rear: 9.5" x 18" (+35mm offset) with 265/35/18 tyres

After the installation and test drive:
1. Pros: My wheelspin problem on 1st, 2nd, 3rd >5000rpm previously encountered on my street S-03s disappeared....so I do not need to consider installing a traction control system anymore.

2. Cons: I get more rolling noise now...sounds like I've installed another supercharger in my ride, hehee.

Pic of RE55S before installation...look at those threads!

Pic of it on my ride1

Pic of it on my ride2

View of my ride

G

gunner93

CP,

Thats one sweet upgrade. I knew I wanted to ask you this but always slipped my mind... the wheel arch extension bulge, how is it done on your car? Did they cut and weld the extensions on to accomodate >255 tyres especially at the rear?

S

sillbeers15

CW,
The rear wheelarch extension hides the rolled rear fenders and careful calculations on the wheel width and offset.

Reaction score
Country
those RE55s look mental. gonna try get myself a set of those next. only thing is not suited to irish weather at all we see more rain then sun. cant see then taking off at all in the wet. as for the dvd i opped for a flipout instead... too much of a target for theifing baskets over here.... one of my friends car was broken into just to get dvd player.

S

sillbeers15

Paul2X,

The front and rear wheel arches are plastics material universal arches offered by "Chargespeed" japan and custom fit by my bodyshop after triming and spray painting them.

The rears are relatively easy to trim as the original fenders are flat, just measure the required fender extension and edges.
The tough ones are the front ones as you can see they are contoured to fit the round off stock fender near the edge between the fender and bonnet joint. There is no wheel/fender extension for my front wheel. I fitted the fender flare to give my ride a fender flare look since I've chosen to mod it with motorsports theme visually.

S

sillbeers15

Raytsang,

It rains alot in the tropics, too. I would love to have a tyre to be able to tackle both wet and dry.

Unfortunately, I had too much wheelspin in the dry. Thus too much torque and power became a handicap.

Now I have found a solution in the dry. In the wet, I would just have to be really careful.....fortunately, I seldom get to drive in the wet.

Reaction score
Country
Nengun.com has got the HKS camp2... looks very impresive... it runs straight off the consult connection... might think about getting one to run off my dvd player....

does it need a hks ecu to run?

Last edited: