What's new

MY S15 *Update 08/10/2008*

J

JDM 20T

Its a very scary noise when you hear someone not using the clutch to engage gears as i found out last track day i went out with Dale when he demonstrated to me his clutchless shifting sounds like you break something everytime he was shifting lol

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I can't wait to hear it. Going for a drive in it would be even cooler.

Reaction score
well a bit of an update, I went to the OZ Mazda track day at Wakefield park on the 15th August for my first trackday since having the new gearbox.

Having a dogbox on the street is a real pain in the arse with its stupidly long first gear and clucnky gear changes, but take it to the track and the box comes into its element. Clutchless shifting is something to be experienced and the box felt so strong. I have every bit of confidence in the box and I am pretty confident it won't break to easily.

Still haven't had a chance to get a video camera in the car yet, just been a bit busy with the wifes car at the moment.

Reaction score
Here are some more recent shots of the car. Chris is an awesome photographer and all round nice guy. For those of you who are in Sydney, I would highly recommend him to shoot your cars. He had a pretty good assistant too.

anyways here are the pics.

You can follow what Chris gets up to via his blog - http://brasherphotos.blogspot.com/
And you can see what his equally talented assistant - Matt mead gets up to via his website/blog - http://motordriven.com.au/

Last edited:
Reaction score
thats some great photos there! lovely. btw, since you've mentioned, can i ask what kind of video camera mount are you getting? which ones are recommended? suction type?

Reaction score
Country
im not sure what computer program he uses to edit those photos but man they look cool. the backgrounds on 2 & 3 look a bit like something out of a well designed video game

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words about the pics guys.
can i ask what kind of video camera mount are you getting? which ones are recommended? suction type?
In the end I ended up getting some Manfotto stuff. I got the following so I could mount it to the cage in the car.
035 Manfrotto Superclamp
155RC Tilt Top Head with quick release

here is a short clip which you can see the clutchless shifts and the slight whine from the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CB-BUlkvV0

Reaction score
So its been a while since I have updated this thread.

Since its been so long since the last update, I don't really know where to start, so I will just update the things I can remember.

All was going well with the car, and I ended up being entered into the World Time Attack Challenge held at Eastern Creek in 2010, but unfortunately on my out lap in my first session, my gearbox decided to give up the ghost. This was a PPG box, but as it turns out, the only gear left in it which was standard was the one to cause the issues, so I was relegated to sitting on the sidelines for the event.

After about 9 months of the car off the road to get the gearbox sorted, the car was very unloved and rundown. The gearbox was rebuilt by PPG, and whilst they had it, they took it from being just a 1st-4th dog set to a full 1st-5th helical cut dog box. This means that all the gears and shafts in the box are now PPG items, as it would have actually cost more to put standard Nissan parts back in the box. This is only the second s14 1-5 helical dog box set they have made. So its one of two in the world!!!

So now the car was drivable again, and I decided to chase down the annoying cluck from the rear end, when I put it in 1st and take off. I narrowed it down to the rear driveshafts, and when I pulled them out, the CV joints were flogged and there was heaps of play in them. Ended up only replacing one of them due to time constraints, but even just replacing one side reduced the clunking.

So the car had been starting to look pretty old and battered now, and between work and home life, I wasn't getting much time to enjoy the car. I was driving it to work every day, and it just felt like a bucket of sh1t.

Towards the end of 2010 we found out that we were going to have a baby, we needed to find a second car we could put a baby in, and I made the decision to remove the cage from the S15, re-install the interior so we could fit a baby seat.

In 2011, my wife and I went to SEMA, and it opened our eyes to how the yanks modify their cars. They just take things to a whole new level, and it made me realise that just putting the interior back in the car wasn't going to be enough, and I started entertaining the idea of getting some bodywork done, and doing something a little bit different.

Fast forward to 2012 and the following is happening or had been installed.

* Returned number plates MY S15 as I was sick of paying almost $500 a year for the privilege of having them
* Removed old rusted out Apexi N1 cat back & replaced it with a full stainless Apexi N1 Evolution
* Installed a Apexi Active Tail Silencer
* Removed old SMB super Cat & replaced with standard Catco 3" cat
* Installed HPI front pipe
* Ordered new wheels from USA 19x10 +/- 0 & 19x12 +/- 0
* Purchased JDM weather visors
* Purchased new Greddy FMIC with polished piping. Its the fat 100mm thick Type 23 Core too.
* Purchased new Greddy Hot Pipe
* Purchased new S15 Headlights
* Purchased new Yashio Factory LED tail lights
* Purchased new Nismo GT Pro 1.5 way LSD
* Purchased 2 x S15 N/A 4.08 complete diffs
* Purchased R33 Series 2 4.11 complete diff
* Fitted craft square carbon mirrors
* Purchased Cusco carbon fibre strut braces (front & rear)
* Removed Cusco 5-Point roll cage
* Lowered car to make it look more aesthetically pleasing
* Purchased Recaro bottom mount seat rails to fit Recaro front seats

Things still on the decision list or to do list are
* Need to modify brake air deflectors to clear new wheels
* Replace exhaust manifold as the Tomei Expreme one is cracked in many spots and has been for a few years now.
* Clean engine bay due to being covered in black carbon due to cracked manifold
* decide whether to go high mount when replacing exhaust manifold & get a GTX3071 at the same time.
* maybe trim interior inserts??
* maybe paint/trim the centre console & lower half of dash??
* play with all the different diff centres and ratios I have lying around. In total I have 2 x S15 3.69 diffs with Nismo LSD centres, 2 x S15 NA 4.08 diffs & a R33 S2 4.11 diff.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So over the weekend, I was finally able to drive the car. Its not 100% complete, but it was enough to drive it to MotorEx at Homebush.

Some of the new exterior stuff is as follows

New S15 JDM headlights
New S15 weathershields
New front windscreen + front and rear rubbers
New Yashio factory LED taillights
CraftSquare Mirrors
Bodykit was done by Peter at Bodyform Motorsports. its a Vertex Ridge widebody, with custom modified rear quarters.
Paint is SEM Hot Rod White (flat white)
Wheels were supplied by Built To Order, and are COR Encor in 19x10 +/-0 & 19x12 +/-0
New Greddy FMIC and polished piping (100mm thick core)

Reaction score
Country
mean dude mean.............. that kinda rubber and PPG box, recon you are going to snap a shaft or two or everything inbetween?

Reaction score
Wow, white Dale, welcome to Team Fridge. Looks fantastic, so different to the pewter days. I see Boxheads was also entered.

Reaction score
Country
Stunning ! love the wheels, we need more pictures of this car :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Stunning Car...

You got a part number for the weathershields?

Cant find them at Fast