What's new

MY S15 *Update 08/10/2008*

Reaction score
Its been a while since my last update....

* Installed my GT-RS turbo fitted a few months ago, I like the extra torque all the way to redline now :D Also replaced the lines with Earls braided items

* Removed custom CRD metal intake pipe and installed Apexi Super Suction kit

* Removed Koyo 32mm copper core radiator and installed Greddy radiator

* installed heat shielding around ABS unit

* Installed ProConcept 2 piece Z33 rotors as my DBA5000's were completly worn. It was cheaper to buy a new set of rotors than it was to buy a new set of outer rings for the DBA's

* Installed a newer crown wheel and pinion (STD ratios) as my old one was quite worn.

* Installed 3" Willans 6 point harness.

The car then had its first outing on the circuit with the new turbo on Australia Day. The gearbox didn't like the extra torque and 5 laps into in my first timed session it stripped the teeth from 4th gear.

The car has been parked in my garage since 26th Jan, and since then my drivers side window has decided it doesn't want to work anymore.

I will be pulling the 6MT out of the car and replacing it with a S14 5MT. I managed to find a S14 5MT, rebuilt with a PPG 1st - 4th Helical cut dog engagement gearset, PPG mainshaft and PPG selector forks. So I have paid the deposit on that so they keep it for me.

I wont get the box for at least a month or so due to the fact I am getting married in 3 weeks so just cant quite afford to pay the balance until after the wedding.

Here is a recent pic from Kids Race Day back in December where we give sick kids (cancer etc) and their families rides around the racetrack all day.

Reaction score
Quality pic dude, looks great !! :thumbs:

Here is a recent pic from Kids Race Day back in December where we give sick kids (cancer etc) and their families rides around the racetrack all day.
Good on you mate :notworthy::thumbs:

Reaction score
Picked up my gearbox today. Now I am just have to pickup the C's short shifter and S14 tailshaft from my friends, and organise for a new S14 clutch when it gets installed.

I can't wait to drive the car, it has been off the road now for over 3 months :(

P

Paul2x

Nice gearbox, I'm running the same one,

don't forget to change your Final drive.

Enjoy :thumbs:

P

Paul2x

Your running a S14 PPG dog box aswell??? What final drive are you using?
Sorry the the late reply, I went with a Nismo 4.6 w/ R200 conversion

Spec-r 3.6 is Way too long for the ratios in the box, you'll see. 1st goes to like 100kph lol

Reaction score
I posted this on the NSCC forums so certain references to peoples cars may not be relevant here.

With the help of The Engine Whisperer (DumHed) we finally got the S14 5spd installed into MY S15.

First things first though.
Now according to most things you read on the 'interweb' to do an S14 5 speed conversion in an S15, all you need is the box, clutch and tailshaft.

But in reality, that list is no-where near correct.

So far I have found you need the following when doing the conversion

* S14 manual gearbox. - I've used a box built with a PPG 1st to 4th Helical Dog which comes with the billet selector forks and it also has the billet mainshaft
* S14 Clutch and flywheel - I opted for the ORC Twin Plate - ORC-559D-02N
* 8 x S14 flywheel bolts - nissan sell these for $22 each
* All 11 S14 bellhousing bolts - If you don't have these you will need to buy them as you can only re-use the top 2 bellhousing bolts from the S15. I sourced my bolts from a combination of Shane's car and Nepean BoltMaster
* 2 x S14 starter motor bolts
* S14 gearbox crossmember - Again stolen from Shane's car
* 1 x spigot bush
* 1 x C's Short Shifter - Thanks CaBS
* 1 x S14 tailshaft - I used Shanes old one, but as far as I can tell you need the front half of the S14 one.
* 1 x S14 Exhaust hanger/mount - If you don't have one of these you can modify the S15 to fit just by drilling 2 new holes in the mount which will then line the mount up perfectly which is what we ended up doing.
* 1 x S14 gear knob

Now for the important stuff

I took the car for a drive today and whilst it is a helical cut gearset, the box does have a whine. Its not obnoxious like in a straight cut box, so its quite easy to live with. Infact I think it makes the car sound quite tough, without being stupidly loud.

Clunks - oh my got, if you think your car has clunks, come for a ride in my car now, changes from 1st to 2nd are now the worst and I can see why people don't recommend driving a dog box everyday in traffic. Its a lots of work.

On the Advice of Andrew I was double clutching when downshifting and that seems to work ok. A little blip of the throttle to roughly rev match and its not too bad (but still clunks)

I have also found that the ratios are fairly longer than a std S14 box

STD Ratios: 3.321/1.902/1.308/ 1.00 / 0.838
PPG Ratios: 2.62 / 1.73 / 1.28 / 1.00 / std

Now I haven't done too much testing with this as I have only really driven the car once, but I did see that I did hit 60 in first gear but I am not sure if it had anymore in it as I was too busy watching the other traffic and worrying about trying to change gears. I think maybe a shorter final drive will be next on the agenda.

But enough of the bad stuff. When you are giving the car a bit of stick, and you slam it into gears whilst using the clutch its a good feeling, now clutchless shifting is just another world, it feels awesome, I never thought changing gears in an Silvia would feel or sound like it does when doing the clutchless shifting, i guess the sound has a bit to do with the slight whine the box has now too.

Overall I am fairly happy with the conversion. I guess I am just happy I can drive the car again after it being off the road since January.

The next thing on my agenda to look at is the fact that my drivers side window now does not work at all, which limits where I can drive the car to and also means that if its raining I cannot drive the car as the window does not wind up. I ran a multimeter over the wiring and can see the regulator getting the correct power from the switches, so lets hope I can just replace the regulator and it will be fixed.

Reaction score
Sorry the the late reply, I went with a Nismo 4.6 w/ R200 conversion

Spec-r 3.6 is Way too long for the ratios in the box, you'll see. 1st goes to like 100kph lol
Really.... i haven't been able to test it out fully as its been raining and the car just spins in first, so I would be interested to see how fast it actually does go in first gear.

Reaction score
So I have driven the car a bit more recently and have figured out how to change gears better.

For just puttering around town, only let the car rev to 3k, then slowly change gears, which gives time for the gears/shafts to decelearte and then the next gear just slots straight in without any clunks. Rev it any higher than 3k and it clunks regardless.

I have gotten better at double clutching whilst downshifting and am getting more comfortable with driving it around town.

I have given it the odd blast when getting on motorways etc, and not using the clutch under full throttle still blows my mind. I am gonna try and mount my video camera soon so you can see what its like. I can't wait to drive it on a track.