Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Liked
    lovely car lad lovin that wee stripe down the side

Paul2x Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoghlan View Post
    Your running a S14 PPG dog box aswell??? What final drive are you using?
    Sorry the the late reply, I went with a Nismo 4.6 w/ R200 conversion

Spec-r 3.6 is Way too long for the ratios in the box, you'll see. 1st goes to like 100kph lol

Liked
    I posted this on the NSCC forums so certain references to peoples cars may not be relevant here.

With the help of The Engine Whisperer (DumHed) we finally got the S14 5spd installed into MY S15.

First things first though.
    Now according to most things you read on the 'interweb' to do an S14 5 speed conversion in an S15, all you need is the box, clutch and tailshaft.

But in reality, that list is no-where near correct.

So far I have found you need the following when doing the conversion

* S14 manual gearbox. - I've used a box built with a PPG 1st to 4th Helical Dog which comes with the billet selector forks and it also has the billet mainshaft
    * S14 Clutch and flywheel - I opted for the ORC Twin Plate - ORC-559D-02N
    * 8 x S14 flywheel bolts - nissan sell these for $22 each
    * All 11 S14 bellhousing bolts - If you don't have these you will need to buy them as you can only re-use the top 2 bellhousing bolts from the S15. I sourced my bolts from a combination of Shane's car and Nepean BoltMaster
    * 2 x S14 starter motor bolts
    * S14 gearbox crossmember - Again stolen from Shane's car
    * 1 x spigot bush
    * 1 x C's Short Shifter - Thanks CaBS
    * 1 x S14 tailshaft - I used Shanes old one, but as far as I can tell you need the front half of the S14 one.
    * 1 x S14 Exhaust hanger/mount - If you don't have one of these you can modify the S15 to fit just by drilling 2 new holes in the mount which will then line the mount up perfectly which is what we ended up doing.
    * 1 x S14 gear knob

Now for the important stuff

I took the car for a drive today and whilst it is a helical cut gearset, the box does have a whine. Its not obnoxious like in a straight cut box, so its quite easy to live with. Infact I think it makes the car sound quite tough, without being stupidly loud.

Clunks - oh my got, if you think your car has clunks, come for a ride in my car now, changes from 1st to 2nd are now the worst and I can see why people don't recommend driving a dog box everyday in traffic. Its a lots of work.

On the Advice of Andrew I was double clutching when downshifting and that seems to work ok. A little blip of the throttle to roughly rev match and its not too bad (but still clunks)

I have also found that the ratios are fairly longer than a std S14 box

STD Ratios: 3.321/1.902/1.308/ 1.00 / 0.838
    PPG Ratios: 2.62 / 1.73 / 1.28 / 1.00 / std

Now I haven't done too much testing with this as I have only really driven the car once, but I did see that I did hit 60 in first gear but I am not sure if it had anymore in it as I was too busy watching the other traffic and worrying about trying to change gears. I think maybe a shorter final drive will be next on the agenda.

But enough of the bad stuff. When you are giving the car a bit of stick, and you slam it into gears whilst using the clutch its a good feeling, now clutchless shifting is just another world, it feels awesome, I never thought changing gears in an Silvia would feel or sound like it does when doing the clutchless shifting, i guess the sound has a bit to do with the slight whine the box has now too.

Overall I am fairly happy with the conversion. I guess I am just happy I can drive the car again after it being off the road since January.

The next thing on my agenda to look at is the fact that my drivers side window now does not work at all, which limits where I can drive the car to and also means that if its raining I cannot drive the car as the window does not wind up. I ran a multimeter over the wiring and can see the regulator getting the correct power from the switches, so lets hope I can just replace the regulator and it will be fixed.
    www.nscc.com.au

Keep up to date with Miss R - missronline.blogspot.com

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2x View Post
    Sorry the the late reply, I went with a Nismo 4.6 w/ R200 conversion

Spec-r 3.6 is Way too long for the ratios in the box, you'll see. 1st goes to like 100kph lol
    Really.... i haven't been able to test it out fully as its been raining and the car just spins in first, so I would be interested to see how fast it actually does go in first gear.
    www.nscc.com.au

Liked
    Youtube video... will be interesting to hear what it sounds like inside...

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by ichi-go View Post
    Youtube video... will be interesting to hear what it sounds like inside...
    Once I figure out a way to mount my video camera in the car I will upload some vids.
    www.nscc.com.au

Liked
    So I have driven the car a bit more recently and have figured out how to change gears better.

For just puttering around town, only let the car rev to 3k, then slowly change gears, which gives time for the gears/shafts to decelearte and then the next gear just slots straight in without any clunks. Rev it any higher than 3k and it clunks regardless.

I have gotten better at double clutching whilst downshifting and am getting more comfortable with driving it around town.

I have given it the odd blast when getting on motorways etc, and not using the clutch under full throttle still blows my mind. I am gonna try and mount my video camera soon so you can see what its like. I can't wait to drive it on a track.
    www.nscc.com.au

RyanNK Guest
    Saw you putter' in to Jax Tyres Castle Hill yesterday morning.

Liked
    Any updates? Possibly videos?

Liked
    Cracking insight into gearbox upgrade mate

Would love to see a demo vid - just to hear what it sounds like lol!!

S14a Track Machine Progress Thread >> Click Here <<