What's new

Meddler's S15

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Yeah seen them before. They are pretty good.
The only problem now is I won the auction, but he sold the downpipe the night before. :mad: :censored: Looks like I might have to buy a new one @ A$600 :cry:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
lol. thanks. I am hoping to have something by then tho. I have a lead on a copy of the one in the auction I won. Hopefully I can get it for a similar price.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
true. I wasn't sure about that back then. I didn't even know a N/A version existed until I joined this forum.

Reaction score
It's not the equivalent of a Jap Spec S - those are N/A, not turbo. Aus had a strange naming convention with Spec S and Spec R, relating to trim levels.
Considering apart from Japan we were the only country to recieve the S15 as a local Nissan import, we were very lucky to get two variations of the model and both were turbo :D :D

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
were the ones in NZ an import by Nissan NZ? Considering how many cars get imported over there I thought thye were just imported from Japan.

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
We had NZ new Spec Rs - rebadged as 200SX. We also have a ton of imported JDM models.

The NZDM model only differed in a couple of ways, like the aircon controls being manual on some, rather than climate control; and an aerial added (rather than the one built into the rear windscreen).

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
You learn something new every day.

2OOsxy

Yep pretty sure NZ has same octane ratings as Australia (ie. 91RON = standard unleaded, 95RON = premium unleaded and 98RON = ultimate unleaded). Although some parts of Aud now have the 100 octane (WA isn't one of those parts though). :(

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I've heard something about the ADM models being different because Nissan didn't want them to go into the "luxury-car" level and get hit with extra taxes making the prices go up considerably.

Is there any truth in this perhaps?

2OOsxy

The GT's came close to the bracket - it was about $55k at the time and they sold for $42-44k depending on spec.

But the reason they came out with smaller injectors than the Jap ones (and all the other variants) would most likely have been to comply with the requirements for emissions and so forth here at the time plus the tune would have been more suited to Australian driving (which would be very different to Japan - ie. hotter temps on avg, longer distances driven, extended long driving at higher speeds).

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ok. Just won this one. It was a little more expensive than the other one I won. (A$152.50 delivered). Hopefully I will actually get this one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
Yep pretty sure NZ has same octane ratings as Australia (ie. 91RON = standard unleaded, 95RON = premium unleaded and 98RON = ultimate unleaded). Although some parts of Aud now have the 100 octane (WA isn't one of those parts though). :(
True.. those are pretty close to ours, only substitute is 96RON for 95RON.
I wonder why the tune was different on the Aus models then? (At least, my understanding is that the ADM model was detuned compared to the NZDM.)

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I an not 100% sure, but I don't think we had 98 octane back in 99 (only 95), and if we did, you couldn't get it out in the country. Maybe Nissan Aus were worried about complaints from motor being damaged away from the major cities because of low octane fuel.