What's new

Bringing another one back from the dead ....

C

Chris@LK

An update on the cage & bonnet .....

After 42 welds, 16.3 metres of tubing resulting in 18 bars ..... our man Mick from Autocross (who'd kindly taken of his landlord cap & replaced with his race car building headwear to carry out all this work for us) finally climbed back out of our S15.

As you can see from the pic's, it's a cracking piece of work, far better than anything we'd hoped for, we'll get the final bit's done once the seats & frames arrive but it's just about there now :) (& I'm starting to fear we're gonna end up with a car that I'll be afraid to drive ..........).

(& just incase you happen to read this, thanks again Mick you're a true craftsman)

C

Chris@LK

Tom's been struggling with 'man flu' all week but that hasn't stopped him cutting holes in perfectly good S15 bonnet to make space for a bit of extra cooling goodness (thanks again to that fella Mr Cross for the vents)

The cars just about ready for some shiny stuff now, so it'll be back round to our workshop for some of what we do best (although when I say we .... I'll be on holiday now for a week but I've no doubt I'll be coming back to more suprises :) ).

Chris

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
omg u could play monkey bars with all thos bars in there but good work tho....:thumbs: how long before u think it will be sorted out then....
cuz once i get my car sorted out iam gonna try sort something out like a meet or a track day which i would like a couple of S15 to turn out at really cuz we havent had a meet this yr at all

M

mick cross

hi there,
I used 50mm x 2mm wall CDS for the main hoop, 38mm x 2.5mm CDS for the other main parts of the cage and then a combination of 38mm x 2.5,2mm or 1.6mm wall ERW for other bars.
hope that helps.
Mick

C

Chris@LK

hi there,
I used 50mm x 2mm wall CDS for the main hoop, 38mm x 2.5mm CDS for the other main parts of the cage and then a combination of 38mm x 2.5,2mm or 1.6mm wall ERW for other bars.
hope that helps.
Mick
Wah hey !! there he is ! Welcome along Mick :wave:

M

mick cross

Great work guys (Mick ;))

You should of just attached the body panels to the cage :D
thanks for compliment, unfortunately whilst a fully spaceframe S15 would be awesome (and do able) it wouldn't be permitted for use under EDC regs.

C

Chris@LK

Well 7 months on I thought I'd better update this thread. This project had to be put on the back burner due to work & family commitments for both Tom & I but better late then never here we are almost done .....
We were keen to get the width of something like the Vertex kit, used on the other S15, but without the budget we decided to make something bespoke using some cheap over fenders but then flaring them to excess & making use of Toms skills to blend them in to look stock so .....

That left the problem of the side skirts not fitting so (& this is the bit Toms really proud of ...)

Everything rear of the doors need widening, so the quarters, skirts & rear bumper came under the knife until finally we were nearly ready for the good stuff !

C

Chris@LK

Starting with a silver ground coat for the whole car ...

Then a fine silver for the bonnet centre & roof sections

And with a big thanks to 'Automotive Paint Supplies' in Newbury for helping us out with some very special paints & dyes we applied the rainbow silver to the roof/bonnet

That area masked up we (when I say we ... I mean Tom ;) ) painted the remainder of the car with a very course silver ground coat

In readiness for the most amazing (well I think so !) candy blue dye

Richard then stepped in to relieve the very tired Thomas (it was 11pm by now & we'd already had a full days work with customer cars) to apply the lacquer

C

Chris@LK

So following a couple of weeks of early mornings & late nights graft (Tom you're a star !) some very welcome help from Ralph @ TVS with the electrics, brother Martin for some engine assistance and not forgetting the man ... no no .. the Legend that is Mick from Autocross (the car wouldn't be out this weekend without you !) here it is ..... not quite finished but I couldn't keep it under wraps anymore ...

Last edited:
D

david

Hi chris think someone asked this already but have u any idea how the fmic fitted behind the nissan aero front bumper with the front fogs still in place in the original picture as this is what im doing with mine and want to keep the fogs.Any idea what make even the intercooler is!
I would greatly appriciate any info on this!
By the way car looks very very well:thumbs:

Reaction score
w0w..... incredible.

Once again, a mega piece of craftmanship to leave your unit.

Personally, not keen on the roof scoop, but the blue of it does break up the silver of the roof nicely! :)