What's new

Paul2x Spec-R Project

P

Paul2x

That's a stunning car with lots of goodies, are you planning on adding a bigger aftermarket turbo?
I actually built my set-up around using a Gt 2871r but had nothing but problems with that turbo.

So in a last minute attempt to get the car ready to a Time Attack event we thew the stock turbo back just to get the car up and running.

Power is good approx high 290's with matching Tq for track set-up and Street map we did 314whp w/ 326ftlbs at the wheels

and last corner ballence we did car weighed in at 2481 Lbs with a half tank of gas.

Now just trying to source a set of front fenters and new wheels to put bigger rubber on her for the track..

Also need R34 master cylinder and most likely some sort of portioning valve.

well see,

the project continues.. =)

:thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
I believe all S15s manufactured after October 2000 had the Garrett T28 ceramic turbos as found on the S14's. Pre October 2000 have the Garrett T28 Ball Bearing turbo as standard. Some cost cutting initiative by Nissan no doubt :down:

P

Paul2x

YOu sure about that,

B/c their is lots of talk about this on the U.S forums b/c the S15 T28 is a very popular upgrade. The B.B Spec-r unit is most reconizible from the divider next to the waste gate port , which non-spec-r and eairly models do not have. Mine does have this piece. In fact it's identical to this turbo sold here. Which is also a OE Nissan B.B unit.

http://phase2motorsports.stores.yahoo.net/niss15siljsp.html

So B.B indeed :thumbs:

I believe all S15s manufactured after October 2000 had the Garrett T28 ceramic turbos as found on the S14's. Pre October 2000 have the Garrett T28 Ball Bearing turbo as standard. Some cost cutting initiative by Nissan no doubt :down:

Reaction score
Country
Humm i would not go by the divider at all. as my2002 s15 has the divider that your talking about and im 100% sure its not BB even checked the serial numbers.

i have my GT-RS coming so its sorted now.

oh yeah another difference ive heard is the oil outlet on non and bb s15 turbo are different.

bb have a longer oil outlet pipe connecting to it
non have a shorter pipe.
I had to order the longer one and new gasket to fit the GT-RS.

P

Paul2x

very interesting...lol

You got me thinking about pulling my turbo now just to check the #'s .

Is the cut off date based on the manfucture date or titled date?

B/c after looking into it my i guess my car is a Late 00' or Earily 01' which ever way you look at it.

So if i just check to see if my turbo has this number (CHRA No. 446179-####) that will tell me?

Where is this # located on the turbo?

thanks for the great info.....gotta share with all the U.S boys.. =)

Z

zaero

nice S15, looks like it will be a track weapon :rotfl:

I have some questions on your Ohlins coilovers.

How would you rate them compared to other coilovers?

Are they the standard off the shelf damper and spring rates 8kg front and 6kg rear?

how do they feel on the street and track?

I'm only asking because I'm looking at getting a set from Japan :nod:

P

Paul2x

How would you rate them compared to other coilovers?

Are they the standard off the shelf damper and spring rates 8kg front and 6kg rear?

how do they feel on the street and track?

I'm only asking because I'm looking at getting a set from Japan :nod:
Hello and thanks for the kind comments everyone.

I love the Ohlins dampers, on various cars i've ran almost every brand out their but the ohlins are the only one's i've had on the S15 so far, but i won't swap them for anyhting.

I set out for a damper that could be tollerated on the street yet be very nice on the road course, and these are prefect.

I went to Hayashi San, @ Garage Saurus and he told me the 8k and 6k would be a prefect mix for the street / track b/c the tracks here in the States are such crap and slippery you need a softer spring rate to hook up. He also gave me a set of 10k sprins so i can go with a 10/8k set-up as well.
But so far the 8/6k combo is working great, just have to stiffin up the front almost all the way when i go to the track and run a bit more ride hight to save the fenders.

I highly recommend them.:thumbs:

Pablo said:
hi, whats the xs power pack thingy?
It's a ignition amp, from a local shop here XS Engineering. Really nice piece simular to the B&M unit but stronger. On my Evo this pak alone made 6 more hp to the wheels! Nothing else.
Cheap Hp imo. :D

Thanks agian for the comments , Here's a pic wit my new front Bar. :thumbs:

Click here : http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?p=27949#post27949

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Very nice. Really like that you've painted the IC pipes. I've been thinking about doing the same as mine are all scratchy and stuff.

Will you try to get the aero sideskirts too or something else?

P

Paul2x

Very nice. Really like that you've painted the IC pipes. I've been thinking about doing the same as mine are all scratchy and stuff.

Will you try to get the aero sideskirts too or something else?
Yeah, I had the IC pipes and valve all powder coated wrinkel black.

I have new set of front fenders and a hood waiting to go on, for track purposes, but probally wont do the side skirts, just b/c i don't want the extra weight.

In the future i'll just do it all at once and do a Vertex lang kit and be done with it , but still a bit more chassie tuning to do first. :D

S

sillbeers15

Stiffen your chassis and get corner weight balancing done, this is where the S15 excels in handling......point the steering wheel and throt it, it just goes without a fight....very neutral indeed.

It reduces alot of dynamic uncertainties when the boost comes on when you're getting out of a corner fast.

TOP GEAR should not be prasing M3's handling before they even set hands on a silvia.

I'm very tempted to get a set of Olins if not for the HKS support I can get to reoil and revalve my tied HKS coilovers locally when time comes.

P

Paul2x

Stiffen your chassis and get corner weight balancing done, this is where the S15 excels in handling......point the steering wheel and throt it, it just goes without a fight....very neutral indeed.
Indeed it is. First thing I did with the car was suspension and brake tuning and have tried various set-up's with different corner balence while tuning at the track.

Corner balence imo is really useless for a car that isn't running a full race-cert. cage , b/c their is so much chassie/body flex that it defeats the whole idea of why one sould corner balence their car.....but i still do it anyway.. =)

current weight so far w/ a half tank of gas is 2481 lbs.

With a good suspension set-up and some good rubber it's hard to beat the feel of a properly set up - 15' on the track..

Very easy to drive fast. I love it! :smitten:

-Paul :thumbs:

Last edited:
S

sillbeers15

I agree.

I would love to place a rollcage but 2 reasons detered me from doing so:

1. I could get into trouble with the law as road legal cars are forbiden to install rollcage in my country.

2. I'm 6'1", with my Recaros I'm 1" off from roof and I have to slide my driver's seat all the way back (as a matter of fact I custom drilled an additional hole 1" further back) for a ideal driving position. If i install a rollcage at the ideal B-pillar location for left to right top reinforcement, it will be in the way of my head against my seat.

Therefore I had to settle for reinforcement bar from left to right across rear passenger legroom and foam fill my entire door sills and B-pillars for reinforcement of front to back frame reinforcement.

Our S15 is already the one with the best ridigity comparing to S13 ans S14.

At half tank gas, I get 1280kg (exclude driver) on the scale and f/b weight distribution is 53.5/46.5 ratio (w. driver).