What's new

Mitch's drift ride

Reaction score
Hey Mitch. Looks good on those coilovers. How does it drive on them. I never got the chance to try them out due to the ESVA test.

Car looks very good.

M

mitch

Thanks Ming :) I thought it'd be finished by now, which is why it's been a bit frustrating. The house move took more time and effort than I thought it would and put the car on the back burner for longer than I wanted.

It drives really well on the coilovers but it's a bit too comfortable. I'll try them once more on track and will exchange them for something a little stiffer if I find them too soft.

Reaction score
nice project buddy! did you just refresh the engine or did you drop in some low comp forgies?

M

mitch

Just new big ends and mains and 1.1mm metal head gasket. maybe one day I will get an engine with forged internals. I have a spare stripped engine, so you never know...

The engine should be going in later today, and if the loom and ECU is all good, should be running by tonight. Then a load of work getting the rest back together for Santa Pod on Sunday.

M

mitch

Almost but not quite. The lump and box are ready to be dropped in but the loom took a bit longer than anticipated to get out, and I also need a banjo bolt for the braided turbo oil feed at the block end.

I'll crack on again tomorrow :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Hows it going?
Any turbo power yet :)

Just wanted to be sure that if you're using the ECU pinout dokument from this site. It's from the ADM S15. there is a couple of differences compared to the JDM ECU. Just a couple of pinouts which differs. i think it's written in Eliziums thread which ones it is.

Just a heads up. I think Elizium had problems with this and his aftermarket ECU.

M

mitch

The engine is in but not running yet. I think (hope) it's the 180SX air flow meter that I thought would be the same as the S14. Apparently it isn't.

I used the M60/F4 plug pinouts, and they were also used by Max and his engine is running now. John Bennett on SXOC has been a great help with regards to the wiring.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The engine is in but not running yet. I think (hope) it's the 180SX air flow meter that I thought would be the same as the S14. Apparently it isn't.

I used the M60/F4 plug pinouts, and they were also used by Max and his engine is running now. John Bennett on SXOC has been a great help with regards to the wiring.
OK.
Just wanted to be sure. JDM and ADM ECUs differ slightly in the pinouts.

why not use a Z32AFM?

M

mitch

Because I don't have one yet. I want it up and running before modding it, otherwise there are too many places to look if it isn't going properly. Having said that the larger bore SR20DE throttle body is fitted too, so hopefully that isn't causing any dramas.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Because I don't have one yet. I want it up and running before modding it, otherwise there are too many places to look if it isn't going properly. Having said that the larger bore SR20DE throttle body is fitted too, so hopefully that isn't causing any dramas.
:thumbs:
OK. that's probobly the smart thing to do. :)

M

mitch

Right, got it running last night :D

It had a short circuit in the loom, but now seems to be running fine. Once the brake lines are redone (now I've removed the ABS unit), I'll be able to drive it and see how it performs under load.

I think I'd best change the oil and there's bound to be loads of fuel in it from where it has been cranked over so much without firing.

M

mitch

Pull all the plugs out, undo the 10mm unions that go to the ABS unit, undo the mounting bolts and remove the unit. Remove all the pipework from the bulkhead.

Get a non ABS master cylinder or use a splitter to split the front pipes and make new brake lines from 3/16 copper pipe and the Nissan ends removed from the original lines, and run them to the front brakes and the rear line union below the master cylinder.

I just need to bleed mine now.

M

mitch

I can't upload pics from my phone to this computer, so can only post pics at the weekend from my laptop at home. I really need to sort that out, but if you can imagine a normal engine with a spangly rocker cover in a standard engine bay, you're pretty much there. :D

It'll look better in pics when the V mount or FMIC (not decided 100% yet due to having to cut a perfectly good shell to do the V mount) is installed.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Thought you were more than up for sacrificing the car in order to have the best functioning machine?! :indiff:, think you've been hanging around here to much, we're making you like the car to much :p

M

mitch

I am, but I've also got an HKS front mount IC which will go straight on. I take on board the subtle dig and understand what you're saying though. I think it was me just needing to make the first cut on a job that is kind of non reversible as the slam panel, bonnet and catch/release need to be cut away, but as soon as it is made it won't be a problem.

As for liking the car too much, you couldn't be further from the truth. I've hated it for the past two weeks (through no fault of its own) and wished I hadn't sold the 180. Now it is up and running and I've had a quick drive of it, I've realised what a fantastic car it can and (hopefully will) be.