What's new

Sx2002

SX2002

Reaction score
Country
Hooray, worked at last...anyway, here is my S15. Australian delivered Spec S. I bought it new in August 2002 as a retirement present to myself...apart from minor exhaust and induction mods it's stock...goes quick enough for me as it is...still love driving it after all these years and just clocked up 50,000ks (30,000 miles) The car is in as new condition and has been garaged all its life.

Reaction score
Country
looks lovely.

however, the engine bay pic isn't from a Spec S, thats a Spec R...

SX2002

Reaction score
Country
No, it's definitely a Spec S...I put the strut brace in but apart from that and the pod, it's an "S"...
I should know, I bought the car new...LOL
The Spec R had a side skirts, etc, here in Oz...
Also, every model sold here was turbocharged.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Well done! Was worth the effort! That's by far the cleanest s15 I've ever seen! Looks just like she did the day she rolled out the factory. Lovely car

SX2002

Reaction score
Country
Well done! Was worth the effort! That's by far the cleanest s15 I've ever seen! Looks just like she did the day she rolled out the factory. Lovely car
Thanks JDM, it helps when you own from new (always garaged) and I've always been a car nut...growing up my Dad was the local neighbourhood mechanic and I was always out in the shed doing valve grinds and other bits and pieces...
Cheers,
Ron.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Hi Ron
Are you sure your car isn't a Spec R? I can see the intercooler pipework and even your paperwork says SR20DET (t = turbo), it also has the induction going to the cold side of the turbo etc.

Also if you have a strut bar in the boot then it's a Spec R, it might have had a few things removed to disguise it in order to pay less taxes during registration

Thanks
Joe

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Wow that's impressively clean buddy ! Nice to see such a lovely example

Sent from Big Bear Kustoms Ltd using tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Nissan Silvia - Wikipedia

read the part on S15's, he isnt lying about all ADM models being DET! turns out S and R were trim levels. the engine is detuned from the Jap model spec R but the DE was never sold in Australia or New Zealand.

great bit of knowledge there!

Reaction score
Country
Nissan Silvia - Wikipedia

read the part on S15's, he isnt lying about all ADM models being DET! turns out S and R were trim levels. the engine is detuned from the Jap model spec R but the DE was never sold in Australia or New Zealand.

great bit of knowledge there!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I thought the de was sold but as an autech s15 ? Had more power than the usual ? May be wrong ...

SX2002

Reaction score
Country
Hi Ron
Are you sure your car isn't a Spec R? I can see the intercooler pipework and even your paperwork says SR20DET (t = turbo), it also has the induction going to the cold side of the turbo etc.

Also if you have a strut bar in the boot then it's a Spec R, it might have had a few things removed to disguise it in order to pay less taxes during registration

Thanks
Joe
Hi Joe, if you read my earlier post, I said that ALL models sold here were turbo...there is no rear strut bar but another chassis brace in the rear of the boot...as far as I know, the S15s sold in NZ were also different to what we had here with similar variants to what you guys have... The Australian version was detuned but simple mods like exhaust and induction brought it up to Jap specs. It was the top selling sports car in Australia until Nissan decided to stop production in June 2002...Leon Daphne, who was head of Nissan Australia at the time, pleaded with Nissan to keep production going at least until Christmas that year but no luck. The excuse given by Nissan was that they couldn't make the SR20 motor to comply with new stringent emission control laws that were coming into being. I think this was bull s**t but there you go. Nissan say they sold 3,818 units here which makes mine one of the very last made as the number on the plate is 3,823...with a build date of JULY 2002,
Cheers,
Ron.

Last edited:

SX2002

Reaction score
Country
Wow that's impressively clean buddy ! Nice to see such a lovely example

Thanks Mate...always kept my cars like that...sadly, I'm disabled now (had several spinal operations and now have plates and screws holding things together)... and the tender, loving care it used to get, it doesn't get any more...I used to take the wheels off every couple of months and clean the suspension, steering gear, etc, but I just can't do that any more...the wheel arches are still cleaned when I wash it but not the other bits and pieces...My local Nissan dealer wants to buy it off me every time I go up there, still after all these years, he reckons he could sell as many as he could get his hands on...good clean ones that is...LOL
I still keep the rest clean though, the above pics were taken only recently...I just can't get underneath any more.

Last edited:

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Oh right, wow it's soo strange, I didn't notice you wrote that earlier, apologies that you had to repeat yourself

Yes that's the chassis brace that I was referring to, that means it's really just a Spec R in comparison to the Spec S that they get in Japan which has no extra bracing, a SR20DE, different interior, headlights etc.

Sorry to hear about your back injury, Im sure it doesn't stop you fiddling with the car often though, even though you say you're not putting as much work into cleaning it as you did before I've never really seen one this clean... ever.

Unfortunately the S15 was not officially sold here therefore we only got older, used cars

SX2002

Reaction score
Country
Oh right, wow it's soo strange, I didn't notice you wrote that earlier, apologies that you had to repeat yourself

Yes that's the chassis brace that I was referring to, that means it's really just a Spec R in comparison to the Spec S that they get in Japan which has no extra bracing, a SR20DE, different interior, headlights etc.

Sorry to hear about your back injury, Im sure it doesn't stop you fiddling with the car often though, even though you say you're not putting as much work into cleaning it as you did before I've never really seen one this clean... ever.

Unfortunately the S15 was not officially sold here therefore we only got older, used cars
Cheers Joe, yes we were lucky to get it here...we got the S14 as well...I think you guys got that but for some strange reason, not the S15...also weird is that New Zealand had different versions to us...I remember there was a lot of flack when the S15 came out, especially in the UK (as well as other countries) when they heard they weren't getting it...hence it became one of the most popular grey imports pretty much world wide..in the early days I found there was an S15 forum or club in lots of different countries...some I never expected...the Australian delivered version still attract higher prices than the imports..probably due to a more reliable history..??
Anyway, I still love driving it after 15 years and I think they still look modern unlike a lot of other cars that I think date very quickly...:)

Reaction score
The Australian models were detuned because at the time of release here we only had unleaded 95 octane available which wasn't suitable for the JDM tune which needed 98..

The Spec S model we received was the base trim model, The Spec R got side skirts, rear spoiler, sunroof and 6 stacker CD...In 2002 they bought out a GT trim which had options of leather front seats, black, but a red leather was available in the Black model cars, sports pedals, and chrome gear surround and inner door handles...Both models were identical mechanically except the Auto which got a viscous diff and smaller 380cc injectors..