What's new

Saxon's Blue Spec R

Reaction score
Country
So, as I'm on the eve of adding a load of more serious mods to my car I thought I'd finally start a kind of build thread. I've done a few small things to it since I got it at the end of last year - mostly just tidying bits up and small visual bits.

Couple pics before too much changes:

Mmmmm arty.

Don't plan on doing anything mega to the outside aside from wheels in due course. I'll be focusing more on mechanical/power/handling stuff and making any rust go away.

Hopefully get the FMIC done this weekend and maybe the wideband and boost controller if I get time.

Reaction score
Country
Haven't got much at all done recently to be honest - it's been way too hot to enjoy working on the car so I haven't bothered. It did cool down enough today that I got something small done...

Fitted this cubby tray thing with a lid on it to go below the stereo to replace the generic universal "bucket" type thing that was in there before. It's from an S13 but the plastic matches some of the other plastics in the car and I think it looks pretty decent all things considered!

Reaction score
Country
New wheels cleaned up, new tyres all round. Super happy with these!

The Gram Lights will be for sale shortly if anyone is at all interested.

Reaction score
Country
Sent my rocker cover off to Peglio to be painted in TV3 blue to match the outside of the car. Came back looking stunning, can't thank you enough!

Need to get the rest of the bay up to par now..

Reaction score
Country
I got a couple of bits done this weekend. Firstly changed the perished old rubber grommet plugging the hole where the rear wiper was for a flush job.

Then I got the inlet manifold wire brushed back and painted up. Spruced up the AAC valve too while it was off.

Reaction score
Country
Looks sooo good what did you use on the inlet manifold? like a toothbrush style thing and what paint? looks amazing!
Thanks man! Used a steel wire brush (just a hand one I got from work) to clean it up - it’s quite narrow with long bristles so good for getting in the tight bits. Quick wipe with acetone then sprayed a few coats of Simoniz VHT silver spray paint. It’s been in the shed for so long the label had gone all crinkly haha, but finally found a good use for it. Couple of small bits of overspray but nothing where you can see it and nothing that couldn’t be cleaned up.

Got mine from Amazon, but it’s cheaper here now: Shopping

Last edited:

lewis

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@lewis_concannon
I think im going to have to do that because that looks soo sweet! How much did you use cause I may order a few cans and do my stagea brakes at the same time?

Reaction score
Country
I think im going to have to do that because that looks soo sweet! How much did you use cause I may order a few cans and do my stagea brakes at the same time?
Yeah it’s made such a difference to the engine bay paired with the rocker cover! Only used like half a can maybe, it seems to spray really well and get great coverage.

I used regular old silver Hammerite for my brakes. Saves masking stuff off, although if you’re getting a few cans of the VHT stuff then you might as well use that.

Reaction score
Country
Did you actually paint the throttle body and the aac thing as well or just brush them up?
Yeah I did paint them. Wire brushed them first to get all the 15 years of crap off then gave them a few coats of that VHT paint. Painted the lot - inlet manifold, throttle body and the AAC valve as well as a few other little brackets, bolts etc that were attached to the whole assembly.

I kind of cheated and didn’t take everything off. I took some small bits off like the AAC valve and some small brackets but I didn’t take the inlet manifold and throttle body off. I just moved all the wiring and hoses out the way, masked up everything I didn’t want paint on then sprayed it in situ. Yeah, the underneath of some of the bits won’t have been painted but I got both sides fully, top obviously and the back (so everything you can see and a bit more).

Last edited:

lewis

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@lewis_concannon
That’s great dude thanks for the advice I’m going to have to give it a go as soon as I get the paint thanks buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk