What's new

Suspect's Black S15

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
Well after 7 years of ownership and almost 10 years of hanging around this place thought I may as well start a little build thread. its only really been over the last year I have started to make changes to the car other than maintenance and keeping it running.

First off this was my welcome page.
https://forum.s15oc.com/introduce-yourself/5669-luckiest-world-reporting.html

I must admit I have had some ups and downs with the car.
I used it as my daily drive for about 4/5 years which included dropping my daughter off at nursery every day in it as well as battling through snow to get to work.
Its on its second SR engine as I had an oil pump failure a few years ago which lead me to making it a second car as I lost a bit of confidence with it and since doing that have driven it less and less until I took it off the road totally after moving from Brentwood to Billericay 2 years ago meaning I now have a drive way.
Turns out the car is not a Spec R at all and is actually a Spec S with what I believe was an S14 engine on a Spec R six speed. not sure what ECU it was and the loom seems to be a hack up between an S15 and S14. which has lead to some odd problems when trying to upgrade the coil packs and nothing is where it should be. (The replacement SR I got was from an auto S14a)
Turns out that the fiberglass body kit was also hiding a few surprises. Like... the doors being shaved to kit the side skirts (means they have separated at the bottom), its had a replacement drivers side rear quarter. its taken a knock on the passages rear end, the front bumper support had been cut up to fit the aftermarket front bumper. The drivers side headlight had been split and not scaled properly. The body kit was screwed in to the metalwork with self tapping screws instead of using the proper fittings and in some places even screwing through the fitting points.there are lots of other things I could list but I cant be bothered any more.

The good news is I have now stripped the underside and under sealed, refurbished and powder coated the rear sub frame, put all new hard race arms on and managed to get a full OEM areo kit together.
So in no particular order some photos of her from the last year or so.

and how she sits currently...

Anyway thought I would share, onward and upward to 2017! :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Still a nice looking motor dude.

interested in how you got the skirts fitted, I've been putting off fitting mine because I don't want screw through metal.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
cheers mate, at the moment they are fitted using as many standered fittings at poss ostly on the underside and in the wheel arches. The drives side dose not have the fittings in the rear panel so it is a little flappy at the but i have other problems with that skirt which need fixing first. But I plan on putting proper fitings in. Plan of attack is to put the fittings on the skirt, paint the ends then offer it up. Hopfully the paint will leave engough of a mark so I know where to drill. if not then I guess I will be taking dims off the other side and tranfure them over.
But that can wait I have other plans first.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
cheers, the old bodykit was very marmite I hated the flex in it. wobbled when the car was started. finished? Im not sure I will ever really finish this car. Plan to sort the engine next year and have it back on the road then bodywork will be finished after that.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
got the engine out a few weeks ago and just running through tiding bits up and preping

final shot befor the front get stripped off.

Empty bay

Got my wheels back from the powder coaters

now its a case of sorting the engine bay and collecting the remainder of the parts I need. Putting it all together and seeing what I have missed.

few big boy toys:thumbs:

now the weather is getting better should be able to kick on a little more.

Reaction score
Country
Looks so much nicer than with that aftermarket kit on it. Black suits it. What wheels are those?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
I think the wheels are zivell speed maybe river side? If that's the spelling... I will check the stamps on the back.
As for the fuse box route I'm not sure, I can take some pics for you but it's not something I did. In fact I want to locate the fuse box behind the dash to give me more room I'm the bay.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
brake pipes re-routed as the ABS has been removed and i was not happy with my orginal bodge job.

snapped the fuel cap adaptor so updated them to AN-6 adaptors which should make running the new lines a little easier.

started to relocate the fuse box at the same time as the engine swap may not have been the smartest move but we will get there.

test fit the starter motor relocation kit. bell housing needed cutting a little. this should get me round some of the header and steering rack problems.

clutch and fly wheel test fitted.

and the beasts new heart itself

Just waiting on the mounts oil pan and other bits of the kit from fueled racing and we should be ready to go in in a couple of weeks. cant wait :evil:

Reaction score
Country
That thing is going to be evil haha! Will be epic once it's done :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
so stuff arrived...

so test fiting started... (please excues the wiring)

touch close and had to loose the pas lines

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
Starting to get somewhere now. Will sit down at some point and redo the photos.

couple of electrical parts on the engine loom to extend and locate. Got to get liquids in it and try and the we can fire her up.

also got some coilovers for birthday/christmas from the wife because shes nuts.