What's new

S15 with potential

Reaction score
Country
Bought an Australian delivered S15 about 6 months ago and thought I'd do a write up about the car and the problems I've come across.

I made the switch from the V8 life to the turbo life after my mate took me for a spin in his 180sx ( one of the cleanest in Aus.)
I searched for a while but nothing of interest came up. Until I found an 2001 Nissan S15 200sx.
Here's what the car had at the time
Engine specs -
forged engine including
Je Pistons 9.1 Comp
Arp head studs
MLS metal head gasket
Reconditioned head
KTS drift sump
Engine machining
Walbro 255L fuel pump running straight E85
Tomei poncams
Titanium Valve springs
Split fire coil packs
Garret 2871r with .84 rear housing
Excedy heavy duty clutch
Battery relocated to boot
Viper alarm system
FMIC
AFM
At that time the car had 240rwkw with 719Nm or torque at 17psi, Loved how hard it pulled.
First problem I encountered with the car was a boost/vacuum leak. I knew bugger all about turbos and tried to fix it myself. Ended up messing around with the TPS, threw the tune out and blew the 2871 (was filthy)
Searched around found a shop selling the same turbo, bought it in a rush got it to my mechanic and installed no worries.
Turns out it was a 2860rs the shopped fcked me around (even more filthy)
Car was still fun tho 230kw on 14psi.
Thought it was time to make the engine bay look a little nicer so I found a fabrication shop that did lobster back welding for a good price.
Happy with how it turned out

After that here comes déjà vu
Blew the 2860, either I needed a tune with the new intercooler pipes or the turbo was on its way out, at the time I didn't even wanna know.
Did some research and bought and installed a Hypergear ATR28SS1.5
After a frustrating and stressful install the turbo made 250rwkw on 17psi. Could've gone more but wanted to keep it drive able as a daily.
Next on the list is Coil overs and wheels,
Anyone got any ideas for me to put forward onto this car?
Cheers for having a read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Hey Ditty! Shame about the turbo but glad you managed to get passed that issue.

The welding is amazing, really makes a massive difference to the engine bay, absolute work of art.

Depending on what you're looking to do, if you're thinking of track use, have you considered Nitron or KW suspension?

Oh and a set of CE28N wheels wouldn't go a miss :)

Joe

Reaction score
Country
Yeah the welding I'm amazed by, got quoted $1400 just for an intake at a different shop and this guy quoted me $650 for the lot!
She's a daily at the moment don't think I'll track it at all,
I'll look into that suspension, my friend told me to have a sus of MCA blue top coilovers heard nothing bad about them.
I'll have a sus of those wheels thanks mate!

Reaction score
Country
More photos of the lobster

Purpose built Motorsport in Adelaide if anyone wants to know

Reaction score
Country
Worth it man makes a massive difference to the engine bay, it's all stainless

Reaction score
Just a few things I would look at, that pod filter is really picking up a lot of hot engine bay air..try and enclose it and maybe put in a cold air intake..Not helping the situation is the stock manifold heat shield is missing....MCA blues will serve you well...as will a nice set of adjustable sway bars...

Reaction score
Country
Just a few things I would look at, that pod filter is really picking up a lot of hot engine bay air..try and enclose it and maybe put in a cold air intake..Not helping the situation is the stock manifold heat shield is missing....MCA blues will serve you well...as will a nice set of adjustable sway bars...

yeah been looking for a heat shield for the stock mani for a while now can't seem to find one
And as for the pod I'm making a shield up at work so hopefully comes out mint

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
yeah been looking for a heat shield for the stock mani for a while now can't seem to find one
And as for the pod I'm making a shield up at work so hopefully comes out mint

Make a simple design heat shield, it will still be very effective, aluminium will probably be the best, or rigid aluminium which would look nice

Reaction score
Country

Update on the car been abit slack lately, had idle issues and car was stalling when cold so had retuned and boost up because I bought a daily, plenty of power now!