Lil EJ's Lil Spec R Aero - "Yuki"

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
www.ejmcarphotography.co.uk
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
Well deserved your s15 is beautiful! So clean!
Thanks so much Tooley :) :)

I finally decided to get the stereo sorted this weekend. Yuki came with an aftermarket Kenwood unit in, but it didnt play CDs (or at least not copied ones anyway, I don't own CDs so had to make one especially to try lol!) and there were no other input options (no USB, aux or bluetooth) and I could only pick up about 2 radio stations, not that I listen to the radio either. I was quite happy listening to the exhaust anyway whilst I found a unit specific to my requirements. I have no intentions of weighing the car down with excessive audio, nor will I have the space for it in the boot with one 2 year old and another one the way in the next few weeks (prams, nappy bags etc!!), so my requirements were simple, although hard to find - single din (i have moved my MSTT to the lower shelf) and must have bluetooth and a rear usb (hate wires and bits sticking out the front of units) - eventually I found something that matched this (you have no idea how hard it is to find rear USB units these days!!!) - anyway this lovely Pioneer X560BT, complete with customisation of the colour (so I Can match my dial gauge so all colours on the inside are the same!) is now installed! The photo is sh1te I can only apologise, my phone takes rubbish pics, but the stereo looks the dogs, nice clean and simple interface and in this pic its actually glowing a lovely bright red, not orange as it appears lmao! Oh and for future ref for otheres, even tho Yuki came with an aftermarket unit (fitted in Japan) I still needed ISO adapter leads, Halfords Nissan specific PC2-76-4 did the trick perfectly :)

I also installed my dashcam. I do a lot of daily miles and find dashcams very useful. I recently upgraded the dailys and trialled it for a couple of months, liked it and so bought one for the husbands car and Yuki too. Top quality HD footage from the front and rear, wifi (so I can be sure I can get the footage saved safely to my phone wherever I am!) and it has parking mode too (so many spiteful and careless people about!). The great thing is you don't need software (like my old dashcam) to view the footage on a laptop or computer either, which is great because it now means I can just view and save footage on my super restricted works laptop straight from the SD card! For anyone interested I went for the Lukas 9750WiFi Duo - it's pricey but it's saved my ass in several situations that may have gone 50:50 at best on my insurance!! Call me paranoid but I know full well if the police came along to an accident involving a little old man in a Focus and someone in a modified car, it's too easy for them to make the wrong assumptions...

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
Since I have picked Yuki up, she has rattled/tapped a bit, which I had assumed was a sticky injector - it didn't get worse or better when warmed up, and sped up under load. Redex hadn't solved this I put a video up on the S15 facebook page - the general consensus was actually that it was VVT rattle!! I was advised to give her an oil change with some 10w40 - not a problem as I had the oil change kit all ready to go anyway and was just waiting for some time off of work. This finally happened this weekend whooo, so an oil change was done - I was originally going to put in a 10w40 fully synthetic but again was told that Nissan use semi, and since I had access to both oils I went for the semi, and after the oil service I can say she is all quiet again!
Oddly, before this service I replaced the battery, and this also quietened down the rattle a bit, but the oil change has shut it up completely, so I am very happy now :D I'll stick and few miles on her and see if she stays quiet, fingers crossed!! :D

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
SR's are noisy engines anyway. Most common rattle is VVT but its is only an annoyance and will not damage the engine.

When the oil gets to thin / old or low the engine will rattle a bit. Just keep changing the oil and filter every 3000 miles and you will be fine.

My engine is still the stock one it had in japan and I have been drifting it for 6 years! give it death all the time and because I always service it, nothing goes wrong.

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
SR's are noisy engines anyway. Most common rattle is VVT but its is only an annoyance and will not damage the engine.

When the oil gets to thin / old or low the engine will rattle a bit. Just keep changing the oil and filter every 3000 miles and you will be fine.

My engine is still the stock one it had in japan and I have been drifting it for 6 years! give it death all the time and because I always service it, nothing goes wrong.
TBH it was news to me when someone told me it sounded like VVT rattle! I am so used to tappet problems and sticky injectors lol. I have had to do a bit of research on it and most say like you, its an annoyance more than a problem, and even those who had changed the sprocket found the rattle came back anyway :-o
The engine oil was fairly fresh in her, she was serviced before leaving Japan, but they must have used a much thinner oil. I wanted to change it anyway, at the very least I would know what to top up with lmao ;) She will be serviced regular anyway, my daily gets done every 3 months so I'll probably just get in the habit of killing the 2 birds with one stone :) My daily is also a testament to proving regular servicing keeps an engine sweet :D

Keifer1903

Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
Where did you get all the service stuff and what did u use :)

Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero S15

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
Where did you get all the service stuff and what did u use :)
Well the fluids have mostly come from my own stock of oils that me and my husband have accumulated over the past few years lol.
The oil filter was a blueprint one from ebay (£5.50 iirc) - there seemed to be a lot of debate on whether the HKS was worth the money with lots of reports of it coming off, and the OEM one from Nissan didn't have great reviews either whereas loads of people said blueprint were good :)

Reaction score
Country
Saw the jammer at rockingham today, it's looking great :)

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Was mostly just strolling about and recognised her from the photos, think you may have been doing similar as was nobody around, but looks good

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
Well, it's been almost 2 years since I last updated this page! God that's gone fast!
So, the reason is, thanks to £1200/mo nursery bills and a new bigger house and bigger mortgage spare pennies have been few and far between. I have in this time though thoroughly enjoyed her as she was. I was on maternity leave from July 2016 to 2017 so I did many miles, mostly at night to console the baby but I have done many happy, fun miles in her.
Over this winter, being such a long, cold and SALTY winter, she was SORNed for almost 6 months. It was awful! I got her MOT'd end of May and taxed her in June. I'm back at work again after mat leave so now it's just weekend fun. About 3 weeks ago I took the kids to a stream train in Llangollen - She was making a raspberry blowing sound which got progressively worse and so bad that on the way back I sounded like a Harley I'm sure of it! Got Yuki home and to my horror - blown a turbo gasket!

20180624_195631 by Esta-Jane Mace, on Flickr
20180629_184140 by Esta-Jane Mace, on Flickr

20180629_185935 by Esta-Jane Mace, on Flickr

So, sort of a big job, air box, manifold, turbo etc off - well whilst it's off I guess I best make some changes! Again a limited budget (childcare grr!) but I got new Japspeed downpipes, sports cat, turbo elbow; copper turbo gaskets from Slide Motorsport, and some braided turbo lines from Jack Pilkington (HEL).

IMG_20180703_172454_937 by Esta-Jane Mace, on Flickr

20180706_143352 by Esta-Jane Mace, on Flickr

All fitted, and took the boys to Manchester airport last weekend and she flipping' flew! I don't know if it's actually given me much of a gain in power, or whether she's always been underpowered by a weeping gasket, but her response now under acceleration is breathtaking in comparison to what I've known! Honestly cannot describe how much more responsive she is, the fella isn't pulling away in his M3 now mwahahaha!

IMG_20180708_134356_794 by Esta-Jane Mace, on Flickr

Obviously I have more I Want to do and have been chatting with a tuning guy in Coventry that several people have recommended, but it will probably be a while before I Can afford a few more of the performance bits required for the 300-320hp remap. However as I said, she's a lifelong tuning project, and I am in no hurry. I love every minute out with her and that's all that matters <3

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Awesome ! It’s amazing what a difference these little things can make glad you have been enjoying yuki still

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
Top job.

What was the Japspeed stuff like to fit?

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
Honestly?
Sh1t! :heh:
I was promised it would be fine and it was basically the same as the S14 so we would have no problems - (I double checked because I hate bodging stuff!) - no problems my assssss!
Probably didn't help I had the Flexi pipe rather than solid as that makes the circumference wider and puts it right against my floor, so had to get a spacer for the exhaust to step it away from the floorpan. It has all fitted nicely now with some tweaks, fortunately legit tweaks and no ****ty bodge jobs, but if you're looking for a straight forward easy 2 minute swap then you won't get it.
However, worth it in the end, Im more than happy with sound and performance :)

Reaction score
Country
What difference to the sound did it make over the stock stuff? I’ll be changing my downpipe soon hopefully (from one aftermarket to another though) however I’ll be getting rid of the stock elbow.

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
What difference to the sound did it make over the stock stuff? I’ll be changing my downpipe soon hopefully (from one aftermarket to another though) however I’ll be getting rid of the stock elbow.
It's definitely louder under load now, but a nice (imo anyway) sound. Its beautiful once the system has warmed up - and my husband said he could hear me behind him when we were having a spirited blast, even over the sound of his own M3. Pootling along around town its quieter, no doubt down to the fact that I now no longer have a leak from my gasket so not getting the sound from the front end like I was before. I can sit at 70mph too now and not get that drone-y sound (which is good because the husband moaned about that and almost made me put the bung in for our last trip up to Scotland haha).

Reaction score
Country
It's definitely louder under load now, but a nice (imo anyway) sound. Its beautiful once the system has warmed up - and my husband said he could hear me behind him when we were having a spirited blast, even over the sound of his own M3. Pootling along around town its quieter, no doubt down to the fact that I now no longer have a leak from my gasket so not getting the sound from the front end like I was before. I can sit at 70mph too now and not get that drone-y sound (which is good because the husband moaned about that and almost made me put the bung in for our last trip up to Scotland haha).
Ah awesome, that’s cool - I’ll have to pull my finger out and get mine done too then haha