What's new

mbb's Nissan Silvia

mbb

Reaction score
Country
Slight update but no pictures

----

My friend picked me up a S15 Aero Spoiler in red for free. I got it off him this weekend and dropped it off to a panelbeater friend who is going to cut the centre light and bog it up.

Hopefully it comes out alright and then I can go get it painted and put on in the coming weeks

mbb

Reaction score
Country
So the other weekend, got the car up on a hoist to do the diff oil and transmission and power steering flush. Just realised my diff was taking 75w140 not 75w90 . luckily 1.2 + 1.8 = 3 litres :D

Also received a package for my adjustable caster, rear camber and toe arms today, will endeavour to get them installed this weekend if the weather holds

Last edited:

mbb

Reaction score
Country
Weekend passed, got the adjustable arms all put in

Overall they were in good condition, bushes were fine

Didn't get a picture with the castor arms in, but also underbody sealed the front wheel arches to take care of any surface rust appearing from the scrubbing I had with the BBS wheels

Alignment this weekend and i'm looking to do

Front:
-4 Camber
7 Caster
2mm or 1.5mm toe out

Rear:
-1.5 camber
0.5 or 1mm toe out

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Looking good man.

As for those alignment settings. What are you doing with the car?

Street? Track Grip? Drift?

These are the settings i have used for years. I alternate between them for different tracks

Measurements are in degrees' and minutes" (not . of a degree!) For example - 1'30" is ONE DEGREE AND 30 MINUTES, NOT one point three degrees.
Before alignment, check your tyre pressures! 32PSI front and 40PSI rear is a good start point.
Traction links are set at standard length for these settings.
If you over centre the steering too much, then reduce the castor angle. This applies to all settings.
THESE SETTINGS ARE BASED ON THE S14 / S15 PLATFORM. They should work with S13 variants with a touch less castor for each.
TOE SETTINGS ARE PER SIDE.

STREET / DRIFT / DAILY

FRONT
camber 2'50"
castor 7'30"
toe 0'00"

REAR
camber 1'10"
toe 0'00"

RESULT:

Positive steering feel
Will not grab or snap
Stable and consistent control

MINIMAL STREET / DRIFT USE

FRONT
camber 2'50"
castor 7'30"
toe 0'05" OUT

REAR
camber 1'10"
toe 0'10" IN

RESULT

Stable but reactive steering
Strong rear end grip, will push you forwards
Stable, but needs accurate driver input.

JAPANESE STYLE DRIFT ONLY
Using a trackday tire on the front (AD08, V70A, R888, RSR, etc... no not FK452, R1R)

FRONT
camber 3'20"
castor 7'30"
toe 0'15" OUT

REAR
camber 1'10"
toe 0'10" IN

RESULT:

Front end bites on drift
Understeer without commitment to drift
FAST direction change
Stable, but needs accurate driver input

WESTERN STYLE DRIFT ONLY

FRONT
camber 3'20"
castor 6'50"
toe 0'05" OUT

REAR
camber 0'30"
toe 0'10" IN

RESULT
Flat grip level, consistent to drive
More driver steering input required
Much more grip out of corners
Reduced aggression in car
More power required

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Nice update, and what a wicked response Tooley. I've always wanted to try zero toe, but get told I am mad and I should have toe in. I knew I was right all along! What effect does caster have, and also what do you do with the rear traction arm length setting for bump steer? Or do you just not have bump because suspension is so firm?

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Nice update, and what a wicked response Tooley. I've always wanted to try zero toe, but get told I am mad and I should have toe in. I knew I was right all along! What effect does caster have, and also what do you do with the rear traction arm length setting for bump steer? Or do you just not have bump because suspension is so firm?
Started a new thread dude for all of us to discuss

http://forum.s15oc.com/threads/14902-S-Body-Alignment-Thread

mbb

Reaction score
Country
Started a new thread dude for all of us to discuss

http://forum.s15oc.com/threads/14902-S-Body-Alignment-Thread
Hey great response tooley, appreciate it heaps.

The application is for drift, as this car is still drivable on the streets but only driven once a week if lucky since I have a daily for work.

Sorry I made a mistake for the rear, it should be 1mm toe in each side.

Currently running about -3.5 rear camber and 1mm toe in each side - its easy to slide and break traction but i've found myself lowering tyre pressure to about 24 - 26 psi to get more grip as I've started to move away from the whole 'woah break traction, go sideways for the first time' thing and actually trying to maintain some control while drifting and transitioning.

So the rationale for trying to zero out the rear camber is chasing rear grip. I've been advised though since i'm going to be getting more contact patch, ill have to pump the tyres up to about 36 - 40 psi to keep the same consistency of breaking traction. Also the extra stress on the driveline from bringing in the camber.

Mind you, I am only running about 150kw at the wheel if that. The motor is a stock standard 187kw at the flywheel factory motor.

I can't help but feel that my current alignment setup is working fine to continue getting seat time but we'll see when I go this alignment setup next drift day and ill report any difference in feel.

Overall however the car feels much more solid and the front castor arms feel amazing compared to the old bushings.

So I think the final alignment for this saturday will be

Front:
-4 Camber
7.3 Castor
2mm toe out each side (maybe 1.5mm)

Rear:
-1.5 Camber
1mm toe in each side

That should suffice for grassroot days and some daily driving

mbb

Reaction score
Country
Got an alignment today, kept castor at 6ish. Should have probably went to 7. Car feels great

Theres a drift day next weekend, looking to enter but currently playing it by ear as it seems it might be a very packed day and will suck if the weather isint good :(

mbb

Reaction score
Country
Received the aero spoiler back last night and its looking great without the ugly centre piece. Dropping it off today to get it painted and hopefully installed this weekend before drifting!!

mbb

Reaction score
Country
So I did an oil and filter change a couple of weeks ago. Decided to go with Penrite 10w-50 instead of Motul 10w-40. So that should be all oil and fluids done up for awhile now.

I went out to a drift day couple of sundays ago. Car held up great and all, didn't manage to find any rolling shots of the day as most photographers were focusing in on the track action with the pros.

I got back the GT wing spoiler painted in EV1 Yellow. Decent job. Few drips on the ends of the spoiler which is going to be rectified but overall i'm not fussy. Went over to a mates this weekend to line it up and get it put on

Little bit of flex on it at 100kms+ but I don't think downforce was the goal ha .. need to give the car a clean now. So dirty from the rubber and smoke and **** from the skid day

Also picked up a lightning S badge for a few bucks and put that on. Was getting ready to heat gun, boiling water the adhesive stuff off but it was just held on by double sided tape. The factory hole for the S badge was still there also (too true that Nissan just rebranded a JDM model to make it NZDM)

Took a little longer to get off the sticky stuff but ended up quite nice

Last edited:

mbb

Reaction score
Country
Haven't done much for the past month, I hit another drift day, it was okay. Didn't feel to good about it, thought I could have done better.

Going to do a Munji course at the end of this month with concrete walls on each side. Lets hope the car is still standing after it