What's new

Soul's Mazworx Topmount S15

Reaction score
Country
Been wrestling with changing my car for quite some time now, and finally settled on getting an S15. Long trip up to Telford and came back with something I thought was a little bit special.

A lot of mods, including a Mazworx topmounted GTX3076R.

Engine only has 900 miles on it after the rebuild, so first job is to get it mapped. Then it also needs a full suspension setup session. Then I'll really be able to see what it's capable of!

Oh I'm also under the 5 post limit so my posts have to be moderated - so I'm not ignoring everyone :D

Current Specs

Engine
- SR20DET S15 engine brand new rebuilt and fitted on 43,500km
- SR20DET 5peed Gearbox
- SR20DE throttle body
- ACL race bearings main and rod
- Lightweight aluminum engine pulleys
- Cometic 1.6mm metal head gasket
- Genuine Greddy Gen1 inlet manifold
- Genuine Greddy Strut Brace
- Genuine Greddy Intercooler and pipework
- Nismo 740cc Injectors
- Nismo Oil Cap
- Mazworx Top mount Downpipe V-Clamped
- Mazworx Top Mount Manifold
- Mazworx Braided water and oil lines with Earls Fittings
- Garret GTX3076R Turbo
- Garret .63ar housing
- TIAL purple 44mm V-band clamped waste gate and screamer pipe.
- K&N 6” x 9” air filter
- APEXi Power FC D-Jetro with IAT and MAP sensors (Mafless).
- APEXi Power FC Hand Commander
- APEXi ExTi N1 Exhaust (Titanium)
- APEXi ExTi N1 Muffler (Titanium burnt tip)
- 3” Midpipe- Hardrace street engine and gearbox mounts
- Blue silicon hoses radiator/water/boost
- Juran Racing Water temp mount
- HKS radiator cap
- Koyo copper twin radiator
- Walbro 255LPH hard-wired fuel pump
- Z32 fuel filter
Interior
- Greddy 2014 Profec Colour Boost Controller
- Defi Link control unit with Boost and Water Temp Gauges
- Kenwood DVD Stereo Double Din Head Unit
- D1 Spec snap off boss
- Genuine Nardi steering wheel
- Twist lock handbrake button
- Razo pedals and Gear knob
Running Gear
- Cusco Zero-1 Coilovers
- Cusco Type RS LSD
- Cusco Pillow Ball Tension Rods
- Cusco Anti-roll bar
- D2 purple 8 Pot Alloy 356mm Brake Kit
- Braided stainless Brake Lines.
- R32 GTR Rear Disks and Calipers
- Nismo Super-coppermix clutch
- Nismo Lightweight flywheel
- Braided stainless HEL clutch line
- ABS deleted and new custom brake lines
- Wilwood adjustable proportional brake valve
Exterior
- Genuine aero skirts
- Genuine aero spats
- Factory smooth boot lid
- Genuine factory tinted windows
- Atech alloys

Last edited:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Welcome. Looks good.

Reaction score
Country
So last night we removed the radiator fan with the broken viscous coupling (looks like a GTR one) and put on a nice S14/15 one that works. Temps looking much healthier now (was running way too cold with the big fan stuck on full).

Also fitted a BOV (there was nothing before) and turbo not stalling anymore.

AFR/oil temp/oil pressure gauges bought and ready to be installed, and off to get mapped etc tomorrow :D :D

Reaction score
Country
So quick update from today's trip to JDModified.....

The good news :)
- The engine itself is in good health (low leakage on all 4 cylinders)
- Chassis is in very good nick (very minimal rust etc which can be easily sorted)
- Generally it's a very good car. It should make 360-370hp without breaking too much of a sweat :)

The bad news :(
- The exhaust manifold has some stress fractures (probably caused by no flexi section on the exhaust leaving all the weight hanging off the manifold). The manifold needs to come off, be strengthened with some welding and a new flexi section put into the exhaust.
- One of the D2 calipers is leaking fluid from the bleed nipple. It's going to have to come off and be re-tapped
- Various fittings are leaking and some seals on the gearbox are weeping

We fixed various other niggly issues while there. So it's got a couple of days of work required and then it should be ready to be mapped!

Reaction score
Country
So what's happened over the last month?

Ordered a new Ksport BBK in red (which looks lovely). All the various niggle things were fixed.

The manifold was all welded up and put back on. It promptly cracked again somewhere else. So it was welded up all over to try and make it as strong as possible.

This seemed to work and got me through the rest of the mapping. It made 371hp at the wheels :D

However now the manifold has cracked through one of the new welds so I need to find an alternative :(

What I don't know is whether this mani was just weak from the factory, or whether there's something else causing it to crack and if I get another it will go the same way. Do I need to hang the turbo to take the weight perhaps?

Reaction score
Country
Good to see you've sorted all the little niggly problems out! Good news on the overall condition of the car also. I've read that the Mazworx manifolds do crack, it must just be how they're designed and, as you've mentioned, the weight on the manifold. I'm fairly sure there is a guy over on SXOC that custom builds manifolds with no bracing but guarentees they won't crack. If you have the budget to replace the whole thing then maybe thats an option. If not, maybe brace it some how?

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Hi bud, sorry about any little niggles you had and with the manifold its 3000 miles old so if it is then its a flaw in the making of it but being Mazworx there rated as the best, maybe get a flexi welded in the downpipe off the back.

bet it feels crazy with 371hp!!

Reaction score
Country
Yeah it's been a bit of an arse tbh :(

Decided to buy a motorbike so I could enjoy that during the summer and have something to get to work on while sorting the S15.

Going for a manifold made by a chap called Wardy who came well recommended by the guys on the SXOC. I've sent him the Mazworx so he can copy positions to make sure everything mates up nicely when I get the new one. He recommended moving from 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" as that would still be capable of more power than I'm running now but also allow faster spool up which should reduce my lag.

Looking forward to getting it back and on the car so I can drive again, and I've had to miss out on taking it to Japfest. But hey-ho :)

Oh also got a Charge Speed bumper on order from Amazon :D :D