What's new

2001 Spec R Restoration/Project car

Reaction score
Country
Spent most of today working at the car as Saturday is the only day I can get some stuff done nowadays
I went about moving and securing the Wiring loom as I have bought some 18" Wide wheels so I was worried the front would catch or cut the loom
While I had the wing off I decided to clean and WAXoil the surrounding areas so firstly:
I stripped off the wings used a wire brush to clean any small surface rusts cable tied the Wiring loom in a more secure place above the arch lip and waxoiled every open metal parts that were open to elements
For peace of mind I used some heavy Duty tape around the Edges of the loom just incase it tears or rubs off chassis
Also this week I started collecting some service parts for the car so I now have:
New Front Pads
New Rear Pads
New NGK Sparks
Plans to get the oil,Diff oil and Gear oil soon shop hadnt them in stock for me as of yet

Reaction score
Country
Quick update before I start to work on car tomorrow
My Temp 18" wheels arrived yesterday nothing special just cheep and cheerful Japan Racing wheels from JDM Distro will do Until works are here
18x 10 et 20 and 18 x 9 for front et 25 adonized bronzed
Will put up some snaps of test Fitting

Also picked up a Goodie bag from the Main Dealers
Got some new gaskets lock tabs and Oil Filters for future
The 7 layer Mani gasket looks like its great quality
Also got both turbo gaskets in multi layered set up

Reaction score
Country
I need that gasket set as stuff for mine but my dealer told me that nissan don't supply lock tabs anymore they're unavailable.

Reaction score
Country
My local main dealer got them for me 4 euro each including vat trade price..Nissan call them lock PLATE 14495-17F00
Maybe try again in a different dealership?

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I have all the proper nissan part numbers but thy guy said that they are unavailable from nissan :S

Reaction score
Country
Fr sport and nismo shop also have them just awkward postage from america I have spares from my last setup if there any good to ya? or if u would like to paypal me some money i could order and post them to you

Reaction score
Country
Been making some progress this week on the car again
Managed to test fit the wheels on rear seam very big but the lads assured me that they will fit fine once done right
suspect I may need arches for front but for the rears with some tyre stretch I should get away with rolling and slight camber
Plan is to source some Dmax vented +25mm wings for front with nice clean mesh in the vents
Spent a few hours sanding down the Rocker Cover in prep for the Airbrushing its now Itch Primed and will have a black base coat for starting as a blank canvas
I started the awful job of removing some of the Suspension underneath and one by one will have them all off in time for some sandblasting and a repaint
The Blitz Intercooler kit came today and is already my favourite piece for the car the quality compared to my friends Japspeed one stands out instantly
More progress will be made on this wednesday as I have a long awaited day off to fit the intercooler and size of for battery and hoses etc
Also If I find the time Wednesday Evening I will start the turbo Removal and Upgrade gaskets & so on

C

craigo

Awesome project, will be watching this one for ideas on my build which should come up once admin have checked it out

Reaction score
Country
Haven't had to the time to do much to the car recently due to work comitments but got around to getting my rubber fitted
They really look pretty good with the stretched tyre setup
225/40 on 10j
215/40 on 9j
Mild enough stretch but looks ok
Aswell as this my Hel Turbo lines arrived I plan to do some turbo work next weekend so heres some snaps

Reaction score
Country
Currently at a stage where stuff seams to be arriving daily..Have way to much to do but not expected to see road until april 2015 so should be enough time.
Hel turbo lines,copper washers an banjo bolts are now waiting to be fitted along with the gasket set i bought earlier
Small touches have started to arrived for the engine bay dress up aswell alot of stickers nuts bolts hoses etc
Got myself some Password jdm engine bolt set plan to fit the wings, rocker cover and other little bits with these as i ordered a total of 40 or so in various lengths

Also got myself the 60mm defi gauges i wanted for interior decoration expect these to reach me in the post far side of xmas so will be quite awhile before they see installation aswell as sandwich adapter and sensors

Originally planned to buy myself a d-max style vented wing but have now decided against it as they seam to be very common and very poor quality maybe the ones i saw were copies but anyways was enought to make me decide to use OEM wings with a flare maybe

Reaction score
Country
Getting closer now each day to a stage where I can start assembling my s15 again.
Most of the engine bay little touhes are now here just waiting on one or two final things and it will be all steam ahead once painted..
Car is fully sanded and being primed soon so will have pics of this asap
Yesterday some Nismo,Tein and other small stickers arrived finishing off the sticker collection for around the bay
Aswell as these my Sr20 engine bay hose kit came looks very nice in purple to match my purple JDM Password stuff and other little bits
Started to organize this whole car mess carry on so bought some poly pockets and a a4 folder all invoices/car related stuff is now in here!Including the original import sheets/documentation which the previous owner gave me
My father in law is fitting the new alarm and kill switch over the weekend as this is something every car should have

Reaction score
Country
Quick update on the car more stuff arrived over the last 24hours
Now also the Subframe locking tabs got them in an adonized red seam ok for what they will be doing anyways
Also heres some snaps of the paper work I have been gathering and the folder set up trying to keep track of it all is becoming a task within itself
Quite crazy to think when this car was purchase first it cost almost 7000euro for VRT less than I paid for it

Reaction score
Country
Managed to pick myself up a driftworks aluminium Rad over the weekend its in excellent condition just needs a polish so will be nice and shiney across the bay
Car is currently looking very neglected and miserable as I havn't had time to do much with the car on weekends with work being busy
Plan to do some Mechanic stuff at the weekend coming and hopefully start assembling once painted

Reaction score
Country
`Had some time off work over the past few days got some well needed work done on this..
First had to refit the front wings for test fitting on wheels and intercooler
Finally finished off the seating and test fitted of rear bumper mind you need some serious work to fit was a very poor shape bumper I was sent, it now fits snug now all round and mounts well after some glassing and straightening.
Got down the the touchy job of sizing up FMIC and test fitting pipes had to cut an 82mm hole in the battery tray but the blitz manual had information required aswell as this removing the old side mount caused issues due to a worn head on a jublie clip but enventually got there.There is some slight cutting to be done on the Uras Front bumper as far as I can tell but this will be addressed over the coming days

My biggest task this week was to remove the turbo from the car so I could fit the braided lines gaskets lock tabs and manifold
This was a long painfull saturday as it was my first silvia turbo removal.
Had to first open sump/rad and drain all fluids dry and then set about opening the various nuts bolts and brackets
I started with the Downpipe to elbow using alot of wd40!!! Then removed all heat covers and turbo pipes slowely but surely I had the turbo on the bench.I found the copper lines a fair bit awkward to access but it was all a learning curve
From there I fitted the new multi layers new nuts and new lines.
Upon inspection my turbo has very little play and is in great nick so this was a positive out of a stressful day!
.As seen in previous pics my old manifold was completly cracked so I fitted the new manifold and dressed it with the gasket and tabs
Tomorrow Im hoping to re assemble the mani and turbo to the block and then refit all lines
I also plan to fit my defi reps which arrived today cheep and cheerful for decoration purposes inside the cockpit

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
As the norm lately I Spent most of today working on the car,
The ramp was being used by a friend so I decided I would go all out on gauges rather than play around re fitting the turbo.
To fit the gauges I followed the guide on this forum on how to split the vents from the dash board, it was alot harder than I thought it would be but patience won in the end alot of swearing and frustration later i had the vents removed.
I Popped them out with 2 screw drivers at the 12o clock and 6 o clock positions and then Dis-assembled into various pieces .
I used a Dremmel tool to grind away unwated plastic and sometime later the gauges fitted nicely into the setup.
However the wiring is something I wouldnt be to fond of as I have very very little experience so I did all drilling,positioning and wire feeding required and then left the actual wiring itself for a more experience person this will give me piece of mind.
The 3 gauges I will have on the dash console are Volt,Oil Temp and Oil Pressure illuminated in a red led style
I'm hoping these will look great sitting on top of the Carbon Dash Surround and The Yashio Factory Goodies I posted Earlier in the build......
There are also some pics below of the FMIC setup that I didnt add from yesterday showing the new position of the wash bottle tank and the pipes coming through the Battery Tray/along side chaiss legs.The blitz kit really showed its quality as the brackets and battery clap were perfect fitment wise with very little play
.Tomorow the gauges are being properly wired I then plan to clip then back in and fit my other interior goodies
I noticed today while inside the car the condition of the Nardi wheel really lets the interior down So i ordered a sterring wheel leather restoration kit from ebay which I seen on youtube I now plan to used this to bring the wheel upto scratch
Once all of this small interior stuff is done its all back to body work and respray in early January from what I can tell
Anyways heres some pics:::

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
The build is starting to become very pic heavy so apoligies if it takes long to load!
Ordered these carbon bits almost 13weeks ago but they arrived this week so her some pics

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Been so busy with this as of late that I havnt had much time to keep upto date with the build thread
Car has been totally transformed and restored there has been so much done I will spread the updates out over a few posts.
The first thing to do body wise was for a good arch Flare so I purchased an arch rolling machine and took some measurements with the wheel son and off to ensure I got the right flare to suit the 10inch rear wheels
here is some before and after pics

The arch then required some proper filler work and a very good sanding to ensure the levels matched that of the body this was done by my friend who is a panel beater with many years of experience the arches were flared a total of about 30mil

The next thing on my list was to sort out the shabby underbody surround arms etc
I purchased 2 new wire brushes and some heavy grit sand paper I sanded and cleaned everything over the period of a day or so and then wiped all them down in preparation for painting
First step was to shultz the entire underside I used alot of cans of shults but it made a massive improvement all round

as you can see above the diff casing ,coilovers and suspention arms looked etremly tired so these were also sanded and repainted with a rust protection paint usuing various different colours

Reaction score
Country
After the arches and body sealing the body kit and spoilers required some work in some more places for proper quality finish so all this was done.
The next step was to begin the glass removed which in turn meant and entire interior strip out took some time but once the glass was removed it meant I could paint all those areas near the window seals that most panel places dont like to get near
all glass was stored in a safe place and cleaned..Now the heavy bodywork began
Sanding sanding sanding along with filling priming and all sorts the fiberglass took forever to sand as it required some filling and glassing

You can see some of the filler and other stuff the kit required it was purchased brand new but was a very poor wuality finish done on it