What's new

My k20 ek build

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Thought I better start a build thread for this as I like to document my car builds
So I was in the market for a new daily, was looking at bmw diesels ( too sensible ) when my mate decided to break his mint ep3 sooooo long story short last week I decided I needed an ek I had a look on fleabay and found this little beauty Cheapo and picked it up last weekend

Had my mates engine, box, ecu etc off his ep3 and got to work collecting parts for the swap.
Car has the usual rust so ordered new rear quarters for both sides, new bonnet and bumper as the original front bumper had an exhaust sticking through the side of it
I had hasport mounts, hybrid fuel rail,gauge, fpr, clutch line and throttle cable.
Have a dc2 subframe and rack on the way and also bought some new wheels for it today that should be here end of the week. I stripped and flatted the car over the weekend and the plan is to basically remove all rust, stone chip and paint underneath, paint all the arms /subframe etc and maybe put new bushes on everything depending on the budget !
Just waiting for another day off so I can start doing the repairs and get some primer on the old girl! Hopefully get this all finished next month and on the road so I can get back to concentrating on the s15 Hope you guys enjoy the build

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yes mate! Going to be stripping it all out and just having front seats and door cards will defo be getting it on track

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
It's like Christmas every day atm

Dc2 subframe , rack etc
So looks like I will painting wheels and having the engine out this weekend

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Got Matt lacquer for the wheels arriving tomorrow, just trying to sort out the colour! Hopefully be here by the weekend as I'm painting a mates fn2 wheels Saturday so could do mine at the same time . If not it's not like I don't have loads to be getting on with
Another day another parcel!

Also am in advanced talks on an ek9 brake and hub set up, if all goes well should be here early next week, already has nearly new drilled and grooved discs and yellow stuff pads too

Be getting a load of bits blasted next week ready to be painted up think I have my work cut out .. It's a good thing I bloody love it ha ha

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Matt lacquer is here, going to be painting the wheels next week though as will order the colour along with all the paint for the car at the same time.

Have also got myself some ep3 type r seats for a good price so I'm almost there for all the bits I need now .
Hoping to have the engine out and start prep on that this weekend

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Wheels have arrived. Not 100% happy with them as they were meant to have been refurbed and clearly aren't so will have to get them blasted now. Also came with 2 winter tyres! Cheeky ha ha oh well at least I got them cheap and intended to paint them so it's not that much of an issue
Will look nice when it's done anyway
Oh and In other news , I can't fit in the car with type r seats in !! Being 6"7 is a pita
Exhaust and all wiring is off the engine just need to drain it and it's ready to come out. Have to leave it in for now as nowhere to store it so going to try flog it on eBay this week and if it doesn't sell will just send it to the scrappy

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Well after painting my mates wheels today I kind of want to do my wheels black ha ha forgot how much I loved this colour!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Managed to spend a few hours on this today, got the engine out and that's about it really. Couldn't paint my wheels as the blaster got a bit happy and they are going to need a bit of work to get smooth now. More work I don't need h ha oh well will be worth it .
Hopefully next weekend will fill up all the holes in the bay I don't need and start smoothing it, would be nice to get it primed up too but we shall see .
Work is going to be mad so not sure how much time it will have for this now so have changed plans, basically get it running drivable and painted in the bay and outside then will sort the interior at a later date

Test fitted my grill too, really liking how it's going to look

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Also test fitted the type r seat, will need a bit of work to sit in nice

Also received my wheel paint! Loving the colour

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
build looking sweet dude! will be be keeping an eye on this :) just out of interest where did you get that paint from? and what colour it is? (does it dry much lighter etc?)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Cheers buddy! I have another update to come . I bought the colour through our paint supplier , I can send you the colour code if you fancy it?
It should dry a very similar colour to the volk racing Matt bronze

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I bought some atr twin pot calipers with 300mm discs

Apparently they fit under most 16" wheels. I was just worried having such a deep lip may cause issues but looks ok.
Got some better pics of everything now too.
The guy I bought the hub set up off removed this from his track dc2 so all bushes have been replaced, endless pads on the rear, buddyclub p1 roll centre adjusters and hard race trailing arm bushes. Very happy with it all and really looking forward to driving this little beast!

Also this is the reason j went for the atr set up, twin piston calipers

when I was clearing out my parts room found a k20 rocker so gonna paint that up.
Today is going to be mostly taken up cleaning everything and priming my wheels of I have time. Want to clean the old mani so I can flog that too.
Ordering my harness today and next Monday will be ordering some cool stuff as I have decided to just spend the extra money and buy all the best stuff for this as it's going to be used daily I don't want anything breaking that's how I'm justifying it anyway

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
The wheels are going to need quite a bit of work to make them nice again after the blasting! Apparently was a lot of product on the wheels so took some getting off, I cracked on anyway, coat of wash primer/etch

Then I have them 3-4 good heavy coats of high build

Will flat them back and give them a few more coats, hopefully will get them looking acceptable

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Also cleaned up my new brakes they are in very good condition, have decided to smooth the calipers too as they are going to be painted

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
would be interested in that.. trying to get a decent match for my wheels as mine are a little too gold rather than bronze... so thinking of repainting them to be a better match

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah no worries mate I will send you the details. I will hopefully be painting these next week so will be able to see what you think