What's new

My ongoing money pit s15 :D

Kev

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys, I thought I should put up a build thread of my s15 that I've owned for 2 and a half years now which started life as a non turbo spec s.
After a long time saving and multiple viewings of s15's which were either very tatty for the money or already had rust coming through I thought id build my own. So here it is on the day I bought it
[/URL][/IMG]
The spec of the car was pretty much standard other than lowering springs and some 18" ultralight taka's.
So I set about sourcing parts to turning it into the car I wanted. So after looking for a couple of weeks I found a sr20det in a uk s14a auto that had been crashed into with only 55k on the clock with full service history. so I bought it and here's a pic of the her new heart.
[/URL][/IMG]
After buying the engine I went on to purchase everything needed for the swap which in turn I ended up going a little ott lol. I bought a apexi pfc with commander so future tuning wouldn't be a issue. nismo super copper mix clutch to handle upto 450bhp. a blitz spec r boost controller. Then I got a full japspeed exhaust elbow, superlow dp, decat through to shotgun cat back. Braided lines,turbo and clutch, a japspeed fmic. At this point my room looked like a car parts warehouse so it was time to do the swap.
[/URL][/IMG]
The very last time the sr20de would be in there.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Thought we should get the rocker off to clean the spray bars and a quick check over as it was sitting on a pallet for around 7 months...
[/URL][/IMG]
So then became the awful job of wiring in the new loom and ecu.
[/URL][/IMG]
All I can say is my friend Michal is a legend lol as like fook was I doing the wiring. Here's a couple more pics of the swap.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
So after a long weekends work the s15 was now turbo'd. and I drove her for a while without really doing anymore mods as money was needed else where! But even though it was fun and something I've always wanted I never really liked the wheels and overall feel of the car so back to looking for parts :D So again back on various forums such as driftwork/sxoc and here. I bought some more goodies which included driftworks cs2 coilovers, complete alignment arms including the lower arms! Then I found a someone breaking his skyline r33 gtst and managed to get the break setup including handbrake setup for a bargain price of £200. Then I had to get rid of the awful wheels so after seeing some gtr-d's on a s15 I thought yeah that's the wheels I wanted.
[/URL][/IMG]
Seeing as they were 10j wide rear and 9.5 upfront I needed the arches rolled and pulled a little so I called arch enemy to do a awesome job on the arches :thumbs:
Then due to running wide wheels and low I thought I better tuck the loom and underseal the arches and underneath!
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Kev

Reaction score
Country
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG
[IMG][URL="http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/kev24_87/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140419_133021_zps4a93e294.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag31/kev24_87/Mobile%20Uploads/20140419_133021_zps4a93e294.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
Then I spent a bit of time driving the car instead of working on it! while buying more bits and bobs like a jdm integra dc2 type r splitter, fibre glass rear spats, dished wheel, cobra imola s bucket seat,
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
the results
[/URL][/IMG]
Then more buying parts :rolleyes: but this time more power :D A nice holset hx30w with a 9cm housing, tial 38mm external wastegate with the stiffest spring available, japspeed t3 top mount manifold, some nismo 740cc injectors,z32 afm with apexi filternew gaskets and lines

[/URL][/IMG]
while I was at it I purchased a titanium heat blanket, japspeed 50mm radiator, new injector o rings, gaskets, oil and filters some sealant as my front cover was starting to leak :mad:
[/URL][/IMG]
Front cover off ready for some fresh sealant :)
[/URL][/IMG]
All sealed up!
[/URL][/IMG]
Topmount fitted along with injectors and afm :cool: I need to get some new intercooler pipe work as we've made do with what we had lol. This is pretty much as far as ive got. There's bound to be loads I've missed. so here's the spec as of today.

Sr20det
Holset hx30w twin scroll 9cm housing
Tial external wastegate with the stiffest spring available.
Japspeed t3 topmount manifold heat wrapped
Custom downpipe heat wrapped
Braided oil lines
Water lines plugged off
Titanium heat blanket
Japspeed superlow twin downpipe
Japspeed decat
Japspeed 50mm alloy radiator
Bov blocked off
Nismo supercopper mix clutch/flywheel
s14 5 speed box
Driftworks Braided clutch line
Ngk br8eix plugs
Apexi power fc with commander
Blitz spec r boost controller.

Driftworks cs2 coilovers
Driftworks camber arms
Driftworks tension rods
Driftworks toe rods
Driftworks traction rods
Driftworks front lca
Driftworks rear lca
Poly bushed anti roll bar drop links
Apex subframe locking collars

S14 manual welded diff
R33 gtst brakes all round including handbrake setup.
Red stuff pads
Hel braided brake lines

Cobra imola s fixed bucket seat
Apex superlow seat rail
Momo 350mm dished steering wheel
Tomei gearknob
Epr nismo gear gaitor
Driftworks handbrake button
Depo boost gauge
Depo oil pressure gauge

Rota gtr-d 18x10 et35/18x 9.5 et25 with 6 mm slip on spacers
Titan red wheel nuts
Titan red locking nuts

Jdm integra dc2 splitter
Aero side skirts
Fibreglass aero spats
Yashio smoked rear lights
Clear side repeaters.

There's more than likely things i've forgotten but my hands are killing lol so I hope you enjoy the read and i'll try keep this up to date as possible. Its due in for a remap in a couple of weeks at Horsham developments so I will post up the results

Kev

Reaction score
Country
So a little update! After finally fitting the turbo setup my sr started making the dreaded vct noise :cry: and after a lot of looking for a replacement sprocket. And absolutely everywhere being sold out!
So i phoned jez at Horsham developments who's going to map the car and spoke about my options and finally decided to ditch the vct and fit adjustable cam gears and cams. So today I've purchased from frp sport some brian crower springs, circuit sports rocker stoppers, circuit sports adjustable cam gears. And from rhd japan i've purchased some stage 2 hks 264 camshafts. :D I'll loose a little bit of torque low down but with a bit of adjustment on the timing it will be savage :thumbs:

Kev

Reaction score
Country
I wanted to keep the vct but seeing as it was sounding like a transit and trying to source a new vct sprocket was silly money and hard to come by, I decided to go for the adjustable cam gears and hks cams as it worked out £30 dearer than a vct sprocket and would be here well before I could get a replacement sprocket from any dealer other than in Australia! Even rhd japan had a 6-8 week delay. I'm pretty sure with a good map it will be awesome :D

Reaction score
Country

Thick line VCT on, thin one off. You can see the mid range is massively stronger with the VCT, and thats without lumpy cams!

Kev

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I know mate but it was a simple case of finding the vct sprocket new and I wasn't going to wait 6-8 weeks to hopefully get one as fpr sport had no idea how long it would take for new stock and rhd japan said it depends on nissan japan with their orders. So seeing as my cars in for mapping on the 22nd with jez and after speaking to him about my concerns of the lower torque, he said with my setup it should be pretty lively and I won't really miss it too much. It's only when off boost it will be a little less power and some timing will help a lot. :thumbs:

Kev

Reaction score
Country
I messaged him last week and was told it had been sold :( I also asked if he could get hold of any more and if he could id have one but had no reply so I bought the cams now...

Kev

Reaction score
Country
So my s15 is at Horsham developments and it turns out the vct wasn't rattling:annoyed: after all! A dodgy oil pick up was to blame. So if anyone needs a good non rattling vct sprocket let me know :) (there was absolutely no rattling before this!) So hopefully have some power figures in the next couple of days :thumbs: also now looking into abs delete!

Kev

Reaction score
Country
Well it's been a while since I last updated this! Mapping at Horsham developsorryts didn't go too well :down: the hx30 shat itself with bearing failure... So since then I've purchased a brand new Holset hy35 from compressor racing :D
[/URL][/IMG]

Once I fitted that I had to modify the downpipe as it wouldn't fit.. No pics sorry. I then set about removing the abs and aircon from the car
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Amazingly it didn't leak :cool: first time doing brake lines... I then relocated the battery to the boot to tidy up the bay a little. Plus meant I could get a decent sized battery :thumbs:
I wanted to make the bay look a little better as the black rocker wasn't working for me..
[/URL][/IMG]

Kev

Reaction score
Country
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
The amount of pearl in the paint is immense :D the pictures don't do it any justice.. overall the car is nearly ready for a remap! This time I'm using Greg at pro tuner.. hopefully the rear spats will be painted soon and the boot should have the holes welded up along with some fresh paint. That's all the updates I have for now :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
great thread mate, really enjoy reading it. that rocker cover looks the tits in pearl white, may have to copy that ;) I know the turbo thing was unfortunate but do you not rate HD anymore? I need to get mine mapped at some point and was going to use them as heard good reports from lots of people but your thread has put me off slightly. I will only be stage 1/1a so only 310-315hp

Kev

Reaction score
Country
Alright bud, by all means copy away :thumbs:

As for Horsham developments, I won't be using them again if I'm honest! Basically my car went in for a full alignment and by time I drove the 25 miles home the alignment arms had come undone destroying my passenger wing!! After a lot of pissing around jez offered me a free remap! Hence why I took the car their. Well the turbo died on the mapping session! Im not blaming Horsham for that...
But the bill I received was ridiculous! Some of the work that was meant to have been done, wasn't needed as I had already done it. I'm not saying Horsham developments are no good mate, just after the problems with the alignment and then mapping bill in which I could have paid for mapping elsewhere twice over. ( it was meant to be free)
I'll use pro tuner as their reputation with 90% of the bdc who get their cars mapped by him can't be wrong.

I know that will more than likely upset some people but that's been my experience.
Another good friend of mine took his mini cooper s up for mapping and it come back under powered and running like a sack of ****. In which he had to refund him, and put the car back to standard..
This might be a one off but it's enough to make me go elsewhere.

Reaction score
hey mate..have you got a closer shot of the lip? Would like to see how did you manage to get the lip fitted evenly on each side. Cheers mate

Kev

Reaction score
Country
Alright mate, i've not got any pics of actually fitting it. All I done was cut the fold around lip off on the edges and put a spacer in between the bumper and lip underneath. Next time I've got the bumper off I'll try to get a pic for you

Reaction score
Country
I usedartin at mbautomotive never heard of a bad car from him and mines spot on was referred there by a lot of the drift lads rather than pro tuner

Reaction score
Country
Really cool thread you have done loads to this car..You front mount piping is extremely shiney must be brand new ya

Kev

Reaction score
Country
Haha cheers dude, yeah it's definitely took many of my weekends and a **** tonne of my money lol :(
That's one of the very few times your ever see the engine bay clean. :D

Reaction score
Country
Nice project!

It's amazing how a few choice, but major, bits in the engine bay getting a touch up can make all the difference to the feel of the car. Loving that rocker cover. Had some real inspiration from this project fella, nice work.