What's new

2fst4u's sr20det spec S take 2!!!

Reaction score
Country
Lol you lot certainly have a dry sense of humor!
Lol sometimes.

I wish this build could slow down a tad and I had another runaround car as a daily but getting this roadworthy is the most important thing at the moment

Reaction score
Country
Yay! More bad news! (lol this is where the dryness of humour comes from at the moment, JDM_virgin. Not in the best of headspaces haha) in order to get my cert I need a wheel alignment to prove everything is straight and true. Unfortunately the rear is out by quite a bit due to a slightly warped subframe. Obviously the knobhead before liked thrashing the car into the curb sideways at pace. Dickwad.

Long story short though, that means new parts Haha. The fix is easy if not expensive. All I needed were rear camber and toe arms. I was planning on getting them later on so Meh, ended up splashing out and buying them today. Will take pics later on.

Oh and as it turns out I have lowering Springs. Had no idea, I just thought it was the body kit.

Reaction score
Country
ive got a better idea, go on holiday leave the car and parts with me and everything will work sweet as when you get back, im getting worried this is going to be like the last car

Reaction score
Country
Baha Nah this time it's all good, honest. I just have other commitments and deadlines unrelated to the car that are making life a bit stressful. This will happen. It will get there. There's no way it won't.

Reaction score
I think Spoonmans offer is the less stressful, if I was brave enough to live near him I would snap up an offer like that...

Reaction score
Country
ive got a better idea, go on holiday leave the car and parts with me and everything will work sweet as when you get back, im getting worried this is going to be like the last car
hahahahaha :rotfl: actually nearly fell of my chair reading that

Reaction score
Country
I think Spoonmans offer is the less stressful, if I was brave enough to live near him I would snap up an offer like that...
You'd have to be brave to live anywhere starting with "Te" in New Zealand :p

So it wasn't too bad. It's just the fact the the stock adjustments are MAXXED out. The new arms will give it the adjustment it needs to get into spec. Got the parts from scarles performance at the recommendation of the wheel alignment guys

Reaction score
Country
i didnt name it and im only here due to fonterra having a plant up the road, and besides i live on the good side of the river. scarles is cheap crap man.. but i cant talk i brought a hilux off him year ago

Reaction score
Country
i didnt name it and im only here due to fonterra having a plant up the road, and besides i live on the good side of the river. scarles is cheap crap man.. but i cant talk i brought a hilux off him year ago
The alignment guys said anything with rose joints is crap and that they break after a few 100 ks. They'd surely know since they see them break all the time. So the ones suggested from Scarles have hardened rubber bushes or something of the sorts. I always thought Scarles was cheap crap too but I think they might be a bit underrated in some areas. They're under warranty so meh

Reaction score
Depends on what brands of arms you use, My Ikea Formula, Sun line racing and Cusco arms with rose joints have not failed me...I wouldn't touch cheap Chinese arms which don't have dust boots on the joints.

Reaction score
Country
Depends on what brands of arms you use, My Ikea Formula, Sun line racing and Cusco arms with rose joints have not failed me...I wouldn't touch cheap Chinese arms which don't have dust boots on the joints.
Dust boots? I've never seen a suspension arm with a dust boot

Reaction score
Country
The alignment guys said anything with rose joints is crap and that they break after a few 100 ks. They'd surely know since they see them break all the time. So the ones suggested from Scarles have hardened rubber bushes or something of the sorts. I always thought Scarles was cheap crap too but I think they might be a bit underrated in some areas. They're under warranty so meh
I just replaced the rose joints in the arms in my car as they were cheap crap ones that started to knock around to teflon bushed rose joints that are up to WOF standards, kind of ends that cost $60 each and are made in the US, you dont need to replace the whole arm only the joints, then get some boots to go around them

Reaction score
Country
speaking of suspension arms i had little chuckle to myself last night, stripping the 180s rear subframe down for alloy bushes i thought the toe arms had already been done with alloy bushes, sweet........ a half inch drive 7/8 socket fell out the hole.... turns out to be the perfect size.... hori dori... its being taken too literally in NZ..... but in a bonus kind of way i also learned that after you have burnt out the rubber and half inch 7/8 socket is the perfect tool for bashing out the remaining metal insert...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
You obviously haven't seen Cusco adjustable arms then....

Wait, which part is the dust boot exactly? I was thinking it was over the threaded insert but it looks pretty normal still.

@spoonman Baha that's so rangi. Lucky you found it

Reaction score
Country
Ahh. Google knows all. After a small amount of research apparently rose joints wear out in rain, grit more quickly (hence need for dustboot) and since I'm not tracking this thing every weekend I'm after longevity. Honestly I think this is one of those word vs word things. They seem as good as each other overall. I am in West Auckland so maybe the alignment guys have only ever seen cheap rose jointed arms with no dustboot vs decent bushed ones.

Remember I'm fully willing to learn

Last edited: