What's new

Black Spec-S L package project.

Reaction score
Country
Seemed to get precisely no interest when I posted in the newbie section so sorry about the copy off another forum..

So, quite a while back at the beginning of August I posted some rubbish about buying a Silvia, soon after I did just that, waited a long time for it to sail most the way around the world before last week it landed at Southampton.

So, owing to some hooliganism at Anglesey causing some delay, I roped a friend into helping me collect it. Turned into a super long day, over 12 hours on the road, but we saw some interesting stuff.

So, arrived, spoke to a couple of people, few minutes later and she was loaded up.

There were a few other interesting motors there.

Toyota Will Vi, an unusual car.. What's that in the background though...

Another 15, a Spec-R with Origin aero. Love it, the security is so lax at the docks we could have easily loaded up that one and drove it out, bit shocking really.

You thought that Figaros were old hat and consigned to history? Apparently there are still plenty more where they came from..

Back to my car though, home and parked next to her older sister.

Inside..

The nav remembered it's last known location, Port of Kanda, Japan.

The navi system is entirely in Japanese, and has no maps outside of Japan. This makes it illegible and useless, but it is a cool toy and does have some car info like fuel use, service reminders, trip computer. In traditional JDM style, Radio 2 is the only thing I can listen to :D

Today I had the chance to get it out, have a poke around, fit the wheels I bought a few weeks back and give it a wash.

It looks a bit monster trucky, desperately needs lowering and the arches will need a roll since these wheels are a pretty manly fitment. I'm not entirely sold on them, but they might work if done in gloss white and lowered.

My favourite part of it though is how immaculate it is underneath, no word of a lie it is like a brand new car, I can't believe it's 12 years old. Even the exposed threads on bolts look box fresh. I snapped a couple of quick videos while swapping the wheels to show you.
[youtube]n0qK5Sd-q8E[/youtube]
[youtube]uo6i-NHNBT4[/youtube]

Impressions of it so far...
It's a light car, 1210kg and you can tell. Feels light on it's feet to drive. It has little in the way of noise insulation or posh trim, polar opposite to the BMW in this regard. It doesn't make a nice 'thunk' when shutting the boot or bonnet for instance.
The cabin feels small, overall dimensions not that much smaller than the e36 though, 3 or 4 inches shorter I guess. Rear visibility is good though, driving position seems strange can't quite get used to it. Maybe I'm just too used to sitting low down in a bucket seat with a deep cone wheel up in my chest. This will be getting the bucket seat and probably a Nardi deep corn, I hope to swap the Cobra/Driftworks seat for a Recaro SPG in good time.
Steering is really light, more than I would like, bit heavier with the 235/45/17 on, should be tighter still with the caster up to 7.5deg.
Diff appears to be open which really sucks, probably put a Nismo GT Pro in it.
Engine is NASP 2l so obviously is weak, goal is to put a Spec-R motor in, light tuned 325hp or so.

Will be an ongoing project for a while, a bit more interesting than my battle wagon BMW, so will try and keep this updated.

Reaction score
Country
I do love the s15 in black:cool:

Its always a mission going too the docks mate, I'm be going there soon:nod:
How's the registration process going?

Reaction score
Country
Not started the process yet, I should get the DVLA forms I suppose. All the NOVA stuff has been done by kleerfreight though.

Been messing with the navi tbh, I can tell you that a Euro Xanavi X6 DVD doesn't work. Perhaps you can tell me how to remove the dash trim to get the unit out? I'm a bit nervous doing anything with this car right now, everything is rare so I don't want to break it!

Reaction score
Country
That's amazing to see the last journey in Japan was punched in to the sat nav. it's something that still gets me today, that all of our S15's were driven daily in Japan.

A very clean example mate, interior looks stunning. I must say black does look good, good choice.

Reaction score
Country
Sure I saw you were from Wolves too? I've seen a white 15 around although it was a while ago.

Reaction score
Country
Leathers were an ADM option apparently, in both Spec-S and R, according to something somewhere.

Reaction score
Country
Leather in the Varietta was the same as S14 leather seats, so not nearly as good. These leather seats only came in L-Package and Autech GT versions as far as I know.

Reaction score
Country
Leather in the Varietta was the same as S14 leather seats, so not nearly as good. These leather seats only came in L-Package and Autech GT versions as far as I know.
Ahh cool, thanks for clearing that up :) the standard cloth seats are nice but the leather are lovely. The verts have missed out as s14 leather is about as supportive as a paper bra...

Reaction score
Country
Honestly these seats are not very supportive at all, but my current daily has a fixed bucket so maybe my opinion is skewed? I also find the position really quite high up, I want to be sitting lower. Anyway, I will get a rail and swap in the bucket as a matter of course. I'm glad it's popular on here though :p

Reaction score
Country
To get a lot lower a side mount bucket seat is prob the easiest, can have your ass more or less on the floor then :)

Reaction score
Country
Very nice! Is that rich newton in the first picture also?! He's everywhere! I recently got rid of my s15 for a bmw but would recommend one to anybody, uber cool cars, I know what you mean about the seats, long drives used to kill my back! Is it possible to swap the sat nav out for a more modern unit? Always considered cutting my dash similar to the oem nav for gauges or something else useful!

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I've known chunk for donkeys, top bloke :)

I don't know about swapping the nav out but I will definitely investigate it more. The stock unit has a lot of cool features, quite amazing for 90s tech really, would be amazing if it could be made to work in the UK. I guess a lot of people might not know, but it has an onboard computer on it too, service reminders and all that crapola that you expected to forgo when buying an S chassis.

Reaction score
Country
Well, my BC BR's arrived today so I put them on. Starting to look really good, needs arch work in the back but thats standard for a 15 isn't it.

Final ride height I will set up next week.

I suppose it's been a while without updates, got it MOT'd the other day. Have a SR20DET with tomei cams and s15 turbo waiting to go in, that will happen soon. Nismo diff ready to go in, bride seat rail ready to put my seat in.

Seeing the car looking al low and amazing has given me a kick up the arse to get on with the engine and diff swap. Next week I think.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Car looks top notch man! Not enough black ones about
As for the nav my mate has just fitted an android into his rx8 dash, pops up the same way as these. He has loads of cool functions wired into it also be something to look into ....