What's new

Joe's S15 Spec R

Mike

Reaction score
Country
they found the majority of the connections on the intercooler pipework were blowing and letting pressure escape with anything over 0.3 bar. So presuming this has been like this for a while
Im calling bs on that mind we tightened, un-tightened, tightened, drove the car, un-tightened,
tightened those clamps because boost leaks are the devil. Perhaps they loosened, either way hope they didn't charge you to much to "replace" them!

I love this car. Not a day goes by that I don't wonder why I sold it. Good work Joe. :)

Reaction score
Country
new colour on the wheels look sweet mate, wish my gf would buy me parts for the car she refuses to buy anything involving cars lol you have a winner there mate lol

Reaction score
Country
Ah if you do buy a BBK kit, what are you currently eying? Have you thought about buying GTR/Evo Brembos?
Well I've had a look at k sports and d2s but don't really have the money for something like that at the moment. I've had a look at a few second hand sets of the brembos on jap performance parts and eBay etc but still undecided on what to do, do you know if the brembos are a massive improvement over the standard brakes? The guys who mapped the car said yellow stuff pads and a disc upgrade would be enough for the power I'm running so not too sure what to do at the mo!

Reaction score
Country
Im calling bs on that mind we tightened, un-tightened, tightened, drove the car, un-tightened,
tightened those clamps because boost leaks are the devil. Perhaps they loosened, either way hope they didn't charge you to much to "replace" them!

I love this car. Not a day goes by that I don't wonder why I sold it. Good work Joe. :)
Haha no worries mate maybe they just loosened over time, they literally charged me about 50p a clamp so I wasn't too bothered! Thanks mate, I should be heading to clay pigeon one weekend before the winter so il stop by if your around and you can take her for a spin :)!

Car looks great! I love the trunk and how it doesn't have a keyhole. Nice choice on the XD9's too :thumbs:
Thanks mate ::)

new colour on the wheels look sweet mate, wish my gf would buy me parts for the car she refuses to buy anything involving cars lol you have a winner there mate lol
Haha just sneak a few links to drift works onto her laptop like I did and she'll give in eventually lol

Reaction score
Country
Well I've had a look at k sports and d2s but don't really have the money for something like that at the moment. I've had a look at a few second hand sets of the brembos on jap performance parts and eBay etc but still undecided on what to do, do you know if the brembos are a massive improvement over the standard brakes? The guys who mapped the car said yellow stuff pads and a disc upgrade would be enough for the power I'm running so not too sure what to do at the mo!
I haven't used this setup on a S15 since they are not legal yet (in my country) but I have used it on a friend's Zenki. He originally had Z32 brakes and then switched to the Brembo's. I had noticed a difference between the two setups. I was impressed at the stopping power while driving on the track. So much that I sourced a set of Evo IX Brembo's for my future setup.

Reaction score
Country
i have the r33 brembos and coupled with a decent set of pads i cant see me needing anymore braking force for the road (that was on red stuff pads), though they have never seen track so im not sure how they would hold up. They are all aluminium though so with decent specced pads, grooved discs and decent fluid i cant imagine they would fade.

Reaction score
Country
dbpower do a fairly cheap kit but you have to buy the calipars from somebody else ie Jap parts. :nod:

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yellow stuff are ok , cosworth street masters are better and what I will be getting next. I have the evo upgrade and its a big improvement over standard yes I run 320 mm 6 grooved discs and yellow stuff atm it is a decent set up

Reaction score
Country
I've got the willwood bbk from dbpower (they are running a group buy on sxoc at the moment btw). They're not as pretty as the ksport/d2 kits but are still pretty epic :)

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the info guys :) The willwood ones on dbpower do seem like quite a good deal compared to the other bbk's on the market! Expect il just decide on what to go for when i actually have the money as at the moment i just keep staring at the black edition d2's, they look epic!

Reaction score
Country
Small update. The car has been off the road for a month or two now and stored in a dry garage. One reason being that the weather isn't exactly great at the moment, but the main reason is that the turbo has let go :(. Started making a weird noise under boost a few months ago and after having it checked out i have decided to store the car until i have found a replacement turbo.

So… i am currently on the hunt for a GT2871R! Not sure whether to go for a brand new one yet or try and find one with a low amount of use. Do any of you guys know where the best place to buy one would be? All the turbos seemed to disappear from the driftworks shop a few weeks ago for some reason. Also does anyone recommend replacing the actuator at the same time?

The parts list I'm hoping to acquire for spring is quite large so I'm currently trying to save up as much as possible over winter. When the car comes back on the road I'm hoping to have the following spec:

GT2871R with braided lines
Nismo 740cc injectors
Z32 AFM
New Map
Wilwood front BBK
New rear pads and discs
New steering arms and drop links
And probably a new clutch…. Anybody know what sort of power the standard S15 clutch is good for?

Its pushing it but hopefully the car will be ready for Japfest! Fingers crossed! :D

[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
IMHO I'd go for the GTX2867r rather than the GT2871r, new style version of the classic 2871, billet wheel and better geometry. Owen Dev do these turbos, I got mine from them for a good price.
You mention new map, what are you thinking about regarding re-mapping, you can't do anything with the stock ECU!

Depending on your ECU options the AFM may not be required.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop...ll-bearing-turbo-for-nissan-200sx-p-1930.html

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/results.asp?catId=6&brandId=1&dwzPage=2

One of the above mate. I am getting my turbo through Owens but turbo dynamics are good and do decent prices too, most turbos come with actuators to match .
Owen also do an hta wheel 2871 their own version which is what I am going for, depends how much you want to spend really :D
Thanks for the links! I will enquire about a price from owens sometime this week. How much is the one your going for with the HTA wheel, if you don't mind me asking? Also would this be a direct replacement for the standard turbo, or do i need to buy flanges etc? Sorry to sound stupid, I've never bought a turbo before ha.

IMHO I'd go for the GTX2867r rather than the GT2871r, new style version of the classic 2871, billet wheel and better geometry. Owen Dev do these turbos, I got mine from them for a good price.
You mention new map, what are you thinking about regarding re-mapping, you can't do anything with the stock ECU!

Depending on your ECU options the AFM may not be required.
Hmm maybe worth getting a price for both then. Just went for the 2871 as this seems to be the most popular choice really!

I already have a Nistune board with a custom map on the car. Was hoping to just have the map tweaked when the new turbo is on. This will be ok with a Z32 won't it?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=121237252680

Have a look here bud, is deans old car all parts were pretty much new when it was written off, has injectors 2871 etc maybe worth a shout

Or here has a lot of decent stuff injectors etc http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=562209

Oh and dan at db power is running a special offer on wilwood bbk atm £112 off rrp. http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=562339
Awesome work mate :)! Will email him shortly and see if he's will to let anything go from the engine. If i had the money id buy the lot, looks mint!

Nice one, thanks man, just saved me over 100 pounds :D Will have to get myself on sxoc, wouldn't have known about it unless you had said! Have you heard any reviews on these kits btw? Was originally going to go for the D2's like yourself but thought something like this would be enough for the power il be running.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
The wilwood are meant to be really good for street + some track.. my d2's are awesome I must admit and I got them cheap so I was lucky. Dan is a top guy is just up the road from me, the kits he sells are all really good he won't sell rubbish which is why he has cut a lot of kits from his site .
Yeah deans old car was immaculate there is so much I want but trying to stay focussed on getting my turbo!
The turbo I am going for has the conical but and metal cage etc worked out to about £1600 all In but lucky my mechanic is getting me a discount on it ;) still not cheap when you consider the price for normal 2871. Comes with whatever flange you want, I'm getting tial v band housing for mine but you can choose whatever you fancy mate >>> GT2871HTA Tial Housing v-band/v-band External Metal Cages, Heat Shield, Conical Nut, 360° Core Clamp £1,629.22 that's the quote I got but obviously that housing is extra as are the other bits and bobs . Hope that helps

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
The wilwood are meant to be really good for street + some track.. my d2's are awesome I must admit and I got them cheap so I was lucky. Dan is a top guy is just up the road from me, the kits he sells are all really good he won't sell rubbish which is why he has cut a lot of kits from his site .
Yeah deans old car was immaculate there is so much I want but trying to stay focussed on getting my turbo!
The turbo I am going for has the conical but and metal cage etc worked out to about £1600 all In but lucky my mechanic is getting me a discount on it ;) still not cheap when you consider the price for normal 2871. Comes with whatever flange you want, I'm getting tial v band housing for mine but you can choose whatever you fancy mate >>> GT2871HTA Tial Housing v-band/v-band External Metal Cages, Heat Shield, Conical Nut, 360° Core Clamp £1,629.22 that's the quote I got but obviously that housing is extra as are the other bits and bobs . Hope that helps
Sweet, emailed dan today about the January offer and will be ordering them this week :). Ive seen a couple of guys running them on V8 MG race cars around my way so they can't be bad!
Thanks for the info mate. Ha yeh that is a pretty big wedge of money for the turbo! I take it you'll be running external wastegate then? Is it a lot more work to run an external rather than the internal one? A few people i know running the 2871 say go for external but I'm not very clued up on the advantages and what id need to run one… Need to do some research i think ha!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Good stuff mate! Think they will be a good upgrade!!
Not too much extra work just need the correct mani and wastegate and turbo .
I have the mazworx top mount mani and downpipe with tial v band flanges and 44mm external gate .
The main advantage is that it helps eliminate boost creep and lag, from what I have read you can get on boost around 5-700 rpm earlier with external gate and holds boost better because they flow more air due to being bigger than internal gates .
Is a more expensive set up (mani was over £900, wastegate is around 300) but tbh I should be getting on boost 2800 rpm ish full boost around 3500 so it's going to be savage !! Not sure if it's going to be a bit much for the road but it's all good fun and if nothing else will look über cool in my bay ha ha ha ha

Have a read of this tells you how external works http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/turp_0501_understanding_external_wastegate_basics/

Last edited: