What's new

Rudi's new S15 - Current and future plans :)

T

Thr33Swords

Hey guys,

I am a new member to these forums, but I noticed there are a lot of people from New Zealand around, and I have a feeling some of you might even know me from back in the day when I was part of the NZ Silvia club. For those who don't know me, I have had an S14 Q's, which I turned into a 14.5 turbo (got stolen), a 1989 200sx drift project which I never finished and a 1999 Spec S S15.

About 2 years ago I sold the 200sx and the S15 to repay debts from some travel I did. Recently however, my financial situation has improved, so I figured I could afford another S15 after being Silvia-less for 2 years! I picked it up at a bargain NZ$8000, and it has only done 121,000km's.

Only problem with it is it's a Spec S, and automatic, but seeing as I love doing work on cars myself, that's going to be half the fun. Since I am on a budget, I have planned my modifications in stages, so I will be spending about $1000 a month over the next year or so working on it instead of spending a huge amount of money all in one go:

Stage 1 - Manual Conversion

- already under way, I bought an S14 SR20DET manual conversion kit, as well as a heavy duty clutch and lightened flywheel. I will be doing the conversion itself over a weekend in about two weeks time.

Stage 2 - Handling

- next I want to make the car handle better, so I will be adding some coilovers, strut braces and a limited slip diff. I intend to have this done by August.

Stage 3 - Wheels and Tyres

- I am planning on getting some nice wheels (thinking Work Emotions at the moment) with some Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres. This should also help with handling, and make the car look a bit better (plus I get to use the standard wheels for skid wheels haha).

Stage 4 - Improved Cooling and Braking

- Since I plan on turning the SR20DE into a +t, I will be adding an oil cooler, after market radiator and some bigger brakes.

Stage 5 - Turbo the SR20DE :p

- This stage will take the longest, so I will likely just gather the parts for a few months, then do the actual work when I have everything I need. I've done this work on my old S14, so I know what I am getting into. I even wrote a guide, which I will be rewriting and updating as I do this car.

Stage 6 - Computer and Dyno Tuning

- I decided to run a Link G4 ECU for this build, as I have heard good things about it.

Stage 7 - Certification and Other Mods

- I'll then have all the mods certified, and I also plan on adding a Aero style front bumper, and Aero style end caps since the car already has the side skirts fitted. Much later on, I might even look into getting a full Nismo body kit for it, just in case I get bored of the Aero kit :p

** Current Photos **

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited: