What's new

Spec R on the way!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Well check the battery to engine one, and battery to chasis one. Follow the big black wire from the battery!

But my guess is if it doesn't crank but will bump start then starter motor fault. Check the wires to it, you may need to get under the car. It's on the lower part of the engine on the divers side. Otherwise new starter motor will be required!

Not a great start. Hearing a few bad stories about cars supplied by torque gt at the mo.

John-

Reaction score
Country
Yeah, I've followed the black wire along and tested all the points. Its unusual because it will start using the battery from my dads BMW as well as my own, so that's whats making me hope its a dodgy connection, more power wouldn't fix a dodgy starter?
And I've just been under the car testing all the points and I was getting some crazy results, and I've come back in to realize the lead to the DMM was knackered!
Starting again tomorrow, to get decent results if all fails I'm going to take the starter motor off and see if I can get at the solenoid and see if that's connecting properly.

I can't really blame Torque GT for this as they (hopefully) wouldn't have known about it. I've been told to call Mike tomorrow by Darren and I'll see what he has to say.

Reaction score
Country
fingers crossed the stud is the only thing that goes worng with mine... know ive written this something is bound to happen.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
A dmm? what does that stands for?

If it starts with two battery's then yeah may not be starter. Good luck tomo! Sounds like you will get to the bottom of it.

Reaction score
Country
if the starter was sticking, would more power from 2 batteries engage it?

John-

Reaction score
Country
DMM stands for digital multi-meter, well that's what I call it hah.
Just finished checking and I'm getting 12v to the starter from the solenoid, and its not turning so that's the problem.
No idea why two batteries made it work the other day because I tried it again today to no avail, maybe it was a coincidence.
On the bonus side, I spoke to Torque GT today and they are sourcing me a new starter! Great service!

John-

Reaction score
Country
Got the starter today, Torque GT got it to me in no time!
Then I went about fitting it... I've done some ****ty jobs on cars before, but this one took the biscuit, it was such a tight wiggle to get it out and there's a tricky bolt that can't even be fully removed

But after all that
She runs!!!

Reaction score
Country
Im sure simple jobs on these cars are designed to be difficult just so the owner gets a sense of self satisfaction that after scuffed knuckles the job is complete haha! glad to here shes running again

John-

Reaction score
Country
A little update at 5 in the morning as I wait for my flight.
Bought an Apexi N1 exhaust from a forum member this week and was trying to get it in time to fit before I went on holiday.
Due to a slew simple errors it was delayed a few days, but I actually got it yesterday so went about fitting it after work.

Gave it the first check

It was big enough!
Then the final thing!

Sounds great!
And even better, I'm now boosting at 0.9 bar!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
That looks so much cooler! How does it sound?
Just one note, boosting at .9 is okish if youvr got an uprated fuel pump (walbro 255 etc) but if youve not got that id say get one asap, as you risk damaging your engine. Also if you've not got a boost controller, then prob best to get one soon too.

John-

Reaction score
Country
Thanks guys, ooh, well ill have to look into the fuel pump then. I will upload a video of the exhaust that I took, but it does it no favours. It's was also getting louder as it settled in I suppose, ill get another video when I get back from holiday. I'm missing the S15 already, is that sad? Haha
http://youtu.be/nA7ZDrksg98

John-

Reaction score
Country
Another little update, I bought an Apexi power intake from Nengun, it took 2 months to arrive, which was a little longer than expected!

Overnight parts from Japan! (Ish)

Got it all fitted up, and it looks really good, but more importantly, sounds so much better, I'm running the pigeon mod at the moment and the noise is greatly amplified!

And here's a shot of how she stands at the moment, stock looking still.

Think I should get some wheels next...

John-

Reaction score
Country
Update!

Got some wheels,

They only just fit in the car!

They are 350z rays wheels, got they really cheap and with good tyres.
Going to refurbish them when the bad weather sets in.
They sit really nicely

John-

Reaction score
Country
Another small update, I just purchased a FMIC and a Profec B - Spec 2.
Now I'm not going to be cranking the boost to silly amounts, probably .8-9 bar until I get a Walbro fuel pump.

Anyway, first thing I did while I wait for the parts to show up was to sort out the battery relocation.
I recently purchased a new battery that was small so I am just going to rotate it.
After reading what most of you have done, either moving the battery to the boot, or extending the cables, I tried to find cables to extend the terminals.
after failing miserably at that I found that I could just re-route the cables through the fusebox.

Knocked a little square of plastic out of the bottom corner, and after pulling the cables back through into the fusebox rerouted them out of the new hole.
Made sure that the corrigated protection was on any part that could rub.

Lid back on and a cable that now easily reaches the battery without any cable cutting or hassle!
I've since wrapped the white cables to tidy them up.

John-

Reaction score
Country
After all that battery lark, I got to fitting the intercooler.
Got all the bits off and made a nice pile.

There were actually a lot of bits that came off!

This was by far the scariest thing!

I actually forgot about this bit.

Put it all back together

Then gave it a wash

And fitted the boost controller

2bar of boost yo!

For the next mod, I'm getting suspension, don't know what yet.
But I'll post pictures when I do!

Reaction score
Country
Looks like the intercooler install went pretty well for you, when we did n80jamie's it was a right nightmare!

John-

Reaction score
Country
Yeah, it all went really smoothly, got the apex type 1 kit because I heard to was a straight forward install!

John-

Reaction score
Country
These turned up today

Happy Christmas me!

Set about fitting them, knowing daylight would run out before I would be able to finish.

Really impressed with the condition of the underside. No rust at all. All bolts came out easy!

When it came to fitting the HSD's can't say I was all together that impressed, you have to bend the brake line mount a fair bit to make It work. And even then the clip is an absolute ass to get back on! And there is no actual mount for the abs sensor, (knew I would have this problem, but don't advertise as an s15 fitment if it's not completely true.)
And I've also found that the camber adjustment doesn't sit centrally.

Either way, fronts are on and I will be fitting the rears tomorrow.

More pics to follow.