What's new

Finally i have an S15

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Very nice buddy, coming together !
Is that the oil pump that mazworx sell?
Is a comprehensive build you are doing , defo making me want to go all out on mine now , keep at it :D
cheers mate ! it is yea got it from 800BHP from the SXOC for a very good price shipped.... by all accounts they are better than OEM.....

cheers, looking forwards to see yours coming together now aswell so i will expecting pictures at some point :) :) :)

hopefully the head will be next when its back from the machine shop

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I always buy my parts direct through mazworx but that's good to know will get one of those and probably a few other bits from there next year.
Already started looking for the parts I need to finish this stage so the motivation is working thanks :D
If you don't mind me asking how much has all the machine work cost? I have a spare head here so thinking about starting work on that as well in the new year.
Hopefully shift my daily quite quickly then I can crack on
Have you decided on a turbo for this ?
Also how does the car look now?

Last edited:

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I always buy my parts direct through mazworx but that's good to know will get one of those and probably a few other bits from there next year.
Already started looking for the parts I need to finish this stage so the motivation is working thanks
If you don't mind me asking how much has all the machine work cost? I have a spare head here so thinking about starting work on that as well in the new year.
Hopefully shift my daily quite quickly then I can crack on
Have you decided on a turbo for this ?
Also how does the car look now?
yea i was looking at going throgh mazworxs directly then found out 800BHP are official Mazworxs dealers and there prices worked out cheaper... there worth a look for sure :)

good, hopefully there will be some motivation coming soon :)

the machine was fairly expensive but i got a lot done, i used these guys who are exceptionally good and have a very good rep http://www.ricwood.com/. i got the following done:

rebore with torque plate
top deck machined flat
full dynamic balance with clutch etc
valve seats re-cut and lapped
NAPREC valve guides fitted
head deck for flatness
full clean

came to just shy of 900£ but the quality of work is second to none.....

turbo wise am going for a GTX2860r with the steel cage bearing upgrade from Owen developments should be good for just shy of 400bhp-ish (better get saving for a gearbox lol)

other than cleaning the engine bay not progress with the car at the minute its too cold out side lol.... need to get my wheels sent off to get them refurbed and get the brakes on although need to get a few its for this, backing plates etc... want to find an aero bumper aswell.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Ah cool , when I got my bits they worked out quite a lot more expensive but I got a lot shipped and split shipping with a mate so may have been why...
I hope so keep looking at my parts an it seems everywhere I go people are doing engine builds ha ha on my fb fees garage maks build just popped up !
All getting me focussed again !
Nice , is going to be a proper sorted engine man should be a really responsive set up too.
Gearbox is still the thing in not sure on dude, have heard the garage d strengthened box fix is good for 450hp waiting for Max's vet build to finish so he can tell me how he gets on with his
Aero bumpers are so expensive ! Unless you get frp ... At least all the parts are pretty much in place now bet your looking forward to having some fun in it :D
Enjoy all the work that's gone into it

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
yea i know what you mean.. seemed to be the same when i was getting all my parts together... will hopefully have some motivation tomorrow as i got my head back today so will be building that tomorrow.

yea i'm hoping with the increased CR, Cams etc with the GTX tubby should give epic spool and still meet my power targets.. will find out soon enough hopefully lol

i dropped Gargae-D an e-mail but didnt get anything back... currently weighing up my options as it will be a case of when more if the box breaks... thinking of either going HPI/Nismo or getting the fix done myself.. the main think for me is i want to keep the 6 speed

Aero bumpers are expensive but look epic lol... if i do it then i need to get one before i get the car resprayed.. cant wait to get it on the road and get some miles in it ! will have to have a poke round yours at some point in the future :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Nice one man! Another step towards completion
Pretty sure that is the same turbo max has for his vet build looked to make a bloody good power band on that.
Ha ha sounds about right garage d are pretty useless why I can't understand their reputation but at the same time offer a service I guess , don't those gearsets only replace 1st-3rd and pretty damn expensive?
I think I'm the only person who doesn't like the aero kit!! Ha ha you going for a factory respray when you do it or you planning on something wild?
Ditto man ,Where about's are you based??

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
it is.. getting excited now lol

yea will be interested to see how it performs..

yea, was surprised i didnt even get a e-mail back to be honest... the Nismo and HPI replace the complete box for a reasonable price (ish, the Nismo is about 2K and the HPI about 2.3K plus shipping from japan etc) alhough they dont offer a massive performance upgrade but should cover the power i'm looking at... Par engineering also make a gear set but they are expensive..

just going for a stock respray in pearl white... nothing to crazy :)

cars currently in manchester at the parents but i work down south in essexs so can be found floating between the 2 lol

Nice one man! Another step towards completion
Pretty sure that is the same turbo max has for his vet build looked to make a bloody good power band on that.
Ha ha sounds about right garage d are pretty useless why I can't understand their reputation but at the same time offer a service I guess , don't those gearsets only replace 1st-3rd and pretty damn expensive?
I think I'm the only person who doesn't like the aero kit!! Ha ha you going for a factory respray when you do it or you planning on something wild?
Ditto man ,Where about's are you based??

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Bet you are!
That's still a lot of cash when I think the fix they were doing was around the £500 mark. Their customer service is rubbish mate I sat waiting for my car a whole day ( supposed to be 4 hours) and only found out I would have to get home without when I called them!
Is going to be a problem for me that needs addressing but will get to it when I come to it .....
Ah nice one do like them in white , will be the first time in ages this cars been on the road won't it? I followed Alan's original build too ha ha
Ah cool south ways aren't too far from me then have to meet up when the weather is ok and the cars are on the road

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
little bit of an update. did some work on the head yesterday:

machine work it top notch ! really chuffed with it at the minute.

got the cometic stems seals in and BC valve spring with titanium retainers in:

then got it on the block.. its getting there now:

hopefully will be able to get the shimming done today well atleast get it measured.

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
spent a bit more time on the engine over the past couple of days, managed to get the solid lifters in and get the shims measured up:

new rockers arms in:

then spent some time getting some external parts on fuel etc etc:

next on the list:

Order Shims
make new injector loom
get hose and fittings for hoses etc

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Looks top notch man! Wish I knew how to build an engine, would save a fortune ha ha love the black wrinkle finish too looks class mate

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
cheers mate ! waiting for a few parts now like shims etc so will be a little quiet for a bit now.. might give me a chance to do something on the car itself now...

building engines is easy :) just a lot of measuring / reading / checking... just need to take your time with them..

yea liking the crackle finish myself. decided that with all the fittings etc it would look odd with a loud rocker cover lol

Looks top notch man! Wish I knew how to build an engine, would save a fortune ha ha love the black wrinkle finish too looks class mate

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah I would assume it to be easy it's just having the knowledge/info to do it all properly to the correct spec etc will prob buy myself an old engine one day and strip then rebuild it for fun!
Yeah I think it looks nice dude, I'm going the opposite way with mine, candy painted rocker and bay but all my fpr, wastegate and an fitting will be black 😎 should be cool
My mate did his rocker with the red crinkle finish and it looked class do like the effect
You have got a fair bit done at least now , tempted to spend a bit longer on mine and have the engine out , paint the bay and move the fuse box. I blame it on you ha ha ha defo motivated now !!! Keep up the good work matey

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Hey bud, how's it all going?
Just had a quick question regards to cr as I'm unsure what to go for. Why have you gone for the higher cr? Will that not make it slightly less reliable? I am looking at going cp pistons 86.5 but standard 8:5:1 cr as they are half price on frsport. Just wanted to know if there would be benefits going for the higher cr or if standard would be fine . Going for eagle rods too so pretty much the same as yours such good deals atm so gonna save me a fortune over the cosworth bits I was looking at!

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hey bud, how's it all going?
Just had a quick question regards to cr as I'm unsure what to go for. Why have you gone for the higher cr? Will that not make it slightly less reliable? I am looking at going cp pistons 86.5 but standard 8:5:1 cr as they are half price on frsport. Just wanted to know if there would be benefits going for the higher cr or if standard would be fine . Going for eagle rods too so pretty much the same as yours such good deals atm so gonna save me a fortune over the cosworth bits I was looking at!
hay up mate, going slow at the minute.. been waiting for shims and its taken some time shimming the top end up... getting there now though... and i am just about to buy my turbo :)

the reason for higher compression ratio is as its going to be a road car (mainly) i am willing to sacrifice some of the top en knock margin as i am not fussed about mega peak power for off throttle response gained from the high CR which should improve the drive-ability off boost.... also combined with the more stable fuel (assuming using higher octane) then it prob wont loose that much of the knock margin once cal'd in properly so should be best of both worlds :)

dont blame you with going for Eagles they are well proven to reasonably high power levels and are much cheaper.... there are other options also.. i got mine from raceeng.com go have a look if you haven't already :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
You decided which turbo your getting ? Gtx series still?
Sounds good bud!
Wonder if my guy cba with the build ha ha he said not to bother with the solid lifters as they are a pita and said standard cr would be fine for my set up.
Yeah will check that out , cheers for the heads up! Found a company in the states that is doing package deals under £600 delivered for both the cp pistons and eagle rods, plus can add things like studs and bearing all for a good price :D gonna order it up soon along with some supertech valves and springs if I have the cash .
Decisions to make now I can't decide whether to go for the higher cr or not. Too much choice ha ha thanks for the info bud

Last edited:

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You decided which turbo your getting ? Gtx series still?
Sounds good bud!
Wonder if my guy cba with the build ha ha he said not to bother with the solid lifters as they are a pita and said standard cr would be fine for my set up.
Yeah will check that out , cheers for the heads up! Found a company in the states that is doing package deals under £600 delivered for both the cp pistons and eagle rods, plus can add things like studs and bearing all for a good price :D gonna order it up soon along with some supertech valves and springs if I have the cash .
Decisions to make now I can't decide whether to go for the higher cr or not. Too much choice ha ha thanks for the info bud
yea sicking with the GTX2860r as it will reach the power i am after and keep the spool as good as possible (i hope lol)

lol suppose it depending what you are aiming for, i want to increase the engine speed also and try to squeeze as much drivabilty out of it as possible... hopefully all going well..

mmm what else you planning head wise? i have a spare head and tempted to maybe get it flowed and bigger valves fitted. you planning other head work also?

yea can be a bit of a mind field when it comes to engine building..too me lots of reading before nailing down my spec lol

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah I think it should be fine. Max looked like he was going to make decent power with his on the vet build .
Yeah is what I want to do really make it as drivable as possible but also 4-450 hp when it's done. I might just take his advice as he will be building it and has built plenty .
I have a spare head too thinking the same maybe just .5 though haven't got round to looking too much into it. I have poncams 256 will probably just give it a refresh new valves , springs , retainers rocker arms and leave it at that. He ran his 14 with 500hp and standard lifters etc 264 cams and said the only thing that kept dying was the vvt.!Have to try and source a new vvt sprocket I think may as well do it while it's apart
It is hard to decide I reckon I have just annoyed him as I'm always asking questions ha ha ha

Last edited:

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
should be nice when its done... think the thing with engine building is there are plenty of answers and even more questions lol.... that had should be fine from what i read expecially if you are not looking to up the limit to much :)

i got a new VVT from FRsport... didnt want to risk a second hand one really. (although new ones are expensive !)

my list of parts i want is increasing again now also which is alarming lol

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Ha ha exactly !!! is why I am annoying him trying to find out as much as I can ha ha
Think I will just go 86.5 8:5:1 cp then and just get what he tells me to make my life easier ha ha
Not sure there will be much to gain going bigger valves really but everything else is going to be new may as well do the whole lot!
They seem quite hard to get the vvt now, not many places that have them! Defo gonna get one though makes sense
Oh dear what are you looking at now?
I still have loads I want but one step at a time ha ha