What's new

SR20VET S15 omg

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Busy evening:

So now I have a lot to do this weekend. Removing the Air Con, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, gearbox and clutch off, everything off really.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Guess what I spent the afternoon doing...

Just waiting for my fuel rail to be produced now, then I can get everything I need from the states. I'll be getting ID 1000cc injectors, VE top feed fuel rail, SR20VE 20V CAS, potentially 20V cams, Aeromotive fuel pressure gauge, a few cables I need, SR20VE 20V valve cover and finally Koyo copper rad + twin fan shroud.

All engine accessories are off now, and cleaned up. Waiting for the 20V valve cover before taking it to be stripping and rebuilding. Gearbox is out too ready to part exchange at GarageD for the 16k refurbed and strengthened box. C's short shifter waiting for that, plus Exedy hyper single. Happy days!

Anyone got a turbo for sale?? Good for 350-400hp?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Clean :D coming together nicely mate !
Good to catch up the other day and see the car! Thanks for the bits dude much appreciated

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The engine is pretty much stripped. I'll get new OEM main and rod bolts, but have ARP headstuds. Does anyone know if DET pistons can be machined much for valve reliefs?

The cams I intend on using:
OE SR20VE 20V:
Low lobe INTAKE - 10.11 LIFT /228º DUR - Low lobe EXHAUST - 8.3 LIFT / 244º DUR - OVERLAP - ---º
High lobe INTAKE - 12.0 LIFT /278º DUR - High lobe EXHAUST - 11.15 LIFT / 280º DUR - OVERLAP - 57º

The SR16VE cams, the ones I have already, have 70deg of overlap, too much apparently. Normal SR20VE cams have 48deg but I have been told they aren't much good either!

Also, anyone know where to get front ABS sensors. We buggered mine when we dropped the front subframe..

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Front ABS situation resolved, S14 knuckles with intact ABS on the way.
Not much closer to deciding what turbo. Want super response, for max 400hp, but wanting to run 350hp super safe. GTX2863r or GTX2867r??

This afternoons work

Engine is totally in bits now, just have to wait for the valve cover, and new main bolts then I'm having it re-assembled :D

Found this bad boy pretty funny. It is a JDM S15, not an AU one.

Turns out the bearings were all good, but there was a bit of swarf in the strainer. Makes us think that the engine might have been re-built before.

Reaction score
Country
I'd say go for the GTX2867r, it's the closest of the new GTX range to the famous GT2871r which is the defacto GT28 frame turbo that most people use on the SR20 for this power range. The GT2871r is good for 350-400bhp with supporting mods others have pushed to 450bhp, so well capable., minimal lag and fast spool as bb chra.

The GTX2867r should give similar boostability to the GT2871r with improved response due to the billet wheel and general improved turbo geometry.

If i was going for a 350bhp turbo, this is what I would have on mine. Plus a Mazworx manifold, in time if you want you can also upgrade to a Tial stainless steel housing which is awesome. In fact most of the GTX28 turbo are now sold without the turbine housing so you're not chucking the housing when upgrading to the Tial unit.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Payday today, turbo and electronics will be paid for very soon!

Today I got through the first of 3 deliveries from Gspec in the US. What has me very excited is:

Got the top feed fuel rail through today too, standby for more updates next week!!

Reaction score
Country
Damn Max, You're gonna make me have to get one, looking cool....

Powder Coat or left Black?

The vent port on the right will be close against the bulkhead, I should have welded mine up and just used the other ports, but I welded the AN fitting to this one as well and i'm worried now that I won't be able to connect to it as it'll hit the bulkhead without some bashing out for space.

Keep an eye on the gap needed to fit a hose to this one, you might have to weld it up as well...

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Some real good bling :) turns out it is needed if I want to keep using my S15 Splitfires too as the sr20ve 20v engine that it comes from uses exactly the same coilpacks. All the other VE heads (except VET) use narrower channels, so different holes, and not the room for the rest of the COP units

Last edited:

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Ok, I did wonder about the clearance once I saw it. Can both be welded up? What exactly is their purpose? I think this has a better breather inbuilt or something:

It will stay black. I figure the factory finish will be pretty durable and is never going to peel off if well looked after :)

Reaction score
Country
Both the P11 and P12 rocker covers have improved venting systems inside the cover, but you will need to still have a vent line to a filter box or catch can, actually I have a spare Cusco catch can going. Most builds try and have two connections to the rocker cover for venting, so you can weld up one perhaps but you'll need one left connected like this.

Have a look at this, this is from an SR23VET (R4Race) awesome build and the inspiration for mine.
You can see the two rocker cover vents going to a fabricated catch can with K&N filters to vent.

This is the catch can I would like if I don't have a custom one fabricated

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Bottom end has been dropped off for the rebuild, but I am now having serious concerns about DET pistons and VE 20V high lift cams smacking each other. As much as I have searched some people have got lucky and some not. It seems to depend on so many things, timing, level of skim, headgasket, spring strenths etc etc. I have to order a GTX2867r from the states anyway so think I'll get:

SR20VET pistons because of the reliefs and clearance
http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-OEM-Piston-w--pin--1pc--SR20VET--20mm-OVERSIZE_p_59873.html

One issue is that I believe they use different piston rings, but should be Ok to come by, just annoying I have OEM DETs! Any takers?

forged DET conrods
http://www.frsport.com/Manley-Performance-H-Beam-Connecting-Rod-Set-Nissan-SR20DET-_p_39272.html
or
http://www.frsport.com/Eagle-CRS5365N3D-SR20-SR20DET-Chromoly-Forged-Connecting-Rods_p_1367.html
Any recommendations either way?

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Updates:
GTX2867r now on the way from the US, with a new VE oil pump

C's short shifter sorted

New front tyres. One good thing from the EU, now I know what tyres are good for noise and efficiency

Wiring tidying in prep for ECU, HKS CAMP2 and new radio

AVCR boost controller mounting. just have to figure out what pressure/vac lines I need and where, and how these will be incorporated in the pipes I'll weld

New fuel setup. Nismo AFPR, ID 1000cc's and top feed fuel rail, aeromotive gauge

Battery relocated and tray chopped for new fan shroud

Just need to pay for the ECU and I have everything

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
New shroud form an altima and Koyo copper Rad

Needs significant chopping

Not a great pic but keeps the profile quite low. Helpful when I am going to run a massive Greddy SpecV IC infront of both of them.

To arrive still is the new sony radio to work with a CAMP2

Info on CAMP
http://www.nengun.com/hks/camp-2

just some of what it can show,

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Really loving this build man, good choice on tyres too eagle f1 a2 are quality tyres!
Getting close to having it back on the road now mate!!!

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Still some way to go but alot of work done so far. :)

Cheers spoonman for the advice