What's new

SR20VET S15 omg

Reaction score
Country
Nice one Max, VVL FTW :)

What a garage, if only....

What's the plan on the fuel rail, does the Xcessive plenum come with one, not sure if you can use the stock rail? Hopefully you can, also you might need an unrated FPR if you using 740s.

All in all a nice looking build, looking forward to it all coming together :)

On the springs and retainers, unless you going for a higher lift cam I'm not sure of the benefits of upgrading those parts apart form adding some lightness using the Ti retainers. Would probably benefit more from having a valve job on the existing valves to improve the breathing rather than the parts, starting to upgrade the head is a slippery slope, I know, lol.

Keep the photos coming...

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The Xcessive plenum bolts straight on to the VE inlet runners, which the DE fuel rail should bolt straight into... We shall see. The VE fuel rail/system is supposed to be better in some way though.

When the head goes off for skimming and rebuilding they will do all the valve job business. Like you had said looks like I need the AEM Twin fire ignition and should set me back another £300 or so. Mayaswell re-do the whole loom with the EMS-4 while I am at it :s
That will be a big learning curve!!!

Reaction score
Country
Cool..

The EMS4 has a full loom as an optional part, some major wiring needed for that. The electrical side of things has had me stressed out for ages on my build, should be worth the effort in the end though..

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Update
398109_10152425487715307_2099447738_n.jpg
Most of the mechanical bits I have been missing. Just waterneck adaptor and oil pickup to arrive.

Looking for a slightly larger throttle body, around 65-70mm. Don't want all the improved flow ruined by the stock TB, and will be good for a future turbo upgrade.

The real work begins next week once I have picked up the powdercoated subframe etc. Coilovers are now pre-loaded and ready to go once the frame and arms are bushed.

Dropping off the low mileage gbx with garage D this weekend for strengthening. £250 when i px in my current box!
Really excited about getting this underway as soon as the engine comes out!!!

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Pics are looking fine to me...as per the throttle body you might want to have a look at the 70mm works engineering unit...it's cheaper than some others and it looks like a good quality item ;)

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Having done a bit more reading about response and top end power, if I can find an NA SR20 TB from an S14 or S15, or even S13 I'll get one of them. Think the increased flow from the head will be wasted with the small standard TB, but much more than 60 may affect low end and driveability.

Cheers for the help, maybe 70mm like that works engineering at a later date

http://www.sr20forum.com/turbo/188684-tb-options.html

***next day EDIT***

Been to garage D today, dropped off the gearbox and picked up an RB20 TB, 60mm, not a straight swap but correct bolt pattern.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Having done a bit more reading about response and top end power, if I can find an NA SR20 TB from an S14 or S15, or even S13 I'll get one of them. Think the increased flow from the head will be wasted with the small standard TB, but much more than 60 may affect low end and driveability.

***next day EDIT***

Been to garage D today, dropped off the gearbox and picked up an RB20 TB, 60mm, not a straight swap but correct bolt pattern.
Fine mate, I actually thought the bigger the tb te lower the response, but thought it was for something in the 80-90 or so...now that I know I tjink I'll stick with my NA tb....cheers :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country

***next day EDIT***

Fine mate, I knew the bigger the tb te lower the response, but thought it was for something in the 80-90+ or so...now that I know I tjink I'll stick with my NA tb....cheers :thumbs:

Last edited:

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cost is spiraling for the VE build at the moment, but I have started so I shall finish... It WILL be worth it.

Next on the shopping list is the fuel system. Just got a Nismo Adjustable FPR, need to get myself a gauge, plus mahusive Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors and top feed fuel rail.

Also required is an SR20VE 20V valve cover. This model ran with identical coilpacks to the S15 so my splitfires will fit right it :) I'm also wussing out of modifying the Maxima CAS I got. For the simplicity I'll be getting the 20V CAS that will be a direct fit and no screwing about with wiring or Hall sensors. What will need me to use some brain power is piping for my MMIC. My Greddy IC is a tad large so the end tanks need to be cut and re-welded so that the inlet and outlet point toward the turbo and plenum so I have no silly bends in the piping.

Got me an Apexi AVCR Black too, just need a cable from the states to make it work.

Big developments ECU wise though. I'll be running an HKS Fcon Pro v3.3 along with an HKS CAMP 2 plugged into a double din of some description for some serious temp/pressure, diagnostic, logging geekery.

Still waiting for powdercoating to be finished on the Subframe etc before I can actually get on with the build. Fingers crossed they will be done tomorrow or thurs!!!

Pictures to follow...

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Still waiting for my bleeding subframe and the rest of the painting but cracked on regardless.
Took off the whole rear subframe and diff, bumpers, skirts, lights and exhaust.
Not a bad day and a bits work.
625631_10152514045835307_551988745_n.jpg

I am stuck on removing the wheel bearings from the rear hubs though. Will have a go with the press in the week, but they will need to be in one piece to get into the coated hub, plus I need to retrieve the Skyline handbrake mechanism. Couldn't make the bearing puller work...
542792_10152514073370307_220668583_n.jpg

Next steps, clean the crap out of the rear end, collect the new subframe, bush it and fit it along with coilys :)

*Edit* Just after posting this, and realising the garage has blasting equipment I have just spent £150 on cleaning, painting, and coating stuff from http://www.bilthamber.com/

looks like next weekend is blasting and painting the rear end of the car, then fitting subframe! Do it once and all

Attachments

Last edited:

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Sand blasting media arriving tomorrow for a hard weekend of work.
Today though I got this
307425_10152525988960307_313081044_n.jpg
Whiteline ARBs coated there too

Everything but a front subframe and front knuckles, I'll probably blast and hammerite them myself.

Tonight it is time to get bushing!

And spoonman, we don't have a harmonic balancer puller just that universal one. We will try our luck with the hydraulic press tonight too :)

**in reply to ichigo**
The front is 27mm adjustable and the rear 20mm adjustable :) they do larger rears. Actually got them used but the paint is a bit weak on new ones so powdercoating is the way forward!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Nice, what's the codes on the arbs, whiteline have a couple of rear ones just curious on what you got.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Been bushing up the arms etc over the weekend. The small bushes were a pain in the ass. Tried a press but they kept popping out of line. I got on well with a vice though and plenty of lube. Sticky as stuff though!!
480173_10152548749705307_916825365_n.jpg
Also de-greased the rear to find it was pretty bloody good so have only topped up the rust proofing

Had to clear the excess paint out the inside of the subframe bush cups, have had to do the same with the knuckles too as the bearings wouldnt fit otherwise.

551383_10152548749130307_578998855_n.jpg
285326_10152548749880307_940885211_n.jpg

Everything back on this weekend

Attachments

Last edited:

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Making progress, had the car back OTR briefly but now off properly to have the engine out tomorrow.

Will have a for sale thread for alot of parts up very soon. Apex type 2, probably S15 BB turbo, fuel system, air con + more

Attachments