What's new

Boost/Vacuum/hoses questions

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys, have a few questions that I'm having trouble finding answers to myself:

1. Where is the best place to tee a boost gauge? Before you start with the two-word answers (Intake manifold), I ask this because there are quite a few nipples around that general area. Are any of them more accurate or are they much of a muchness? I already have a gauge in, just want to know if it's in an ideal place or not.

2. Can I remove the stock boost controller (at least I think that's what it is) indicated by the yellow circle. Is it safe to remove it if it really isn't doing anything anymore?

3. What size are our vacuum hoses? (This one I'm hoping for a quick answer from someone who has replaced their own. I can't measure mine right now, I'm in a different city to my car) I want to continue the blue highlights through my engine bay.

Yea, I deliberately threw the word "nipple" in there. Hope you at least sniggered.

Reaction score
Country
1) yes you can remove the stock boost controller, providing you have a aftermarket boost control system. boost t or EBC to replace the solenoid, if you just run intake pressure to your stock actuator you will just increase lag
2) I removed the stock boost gauge and just used that for a sensor reading but i see you dont have that (being a DE to DET) just t into that red vac hose that goes from your cold pipe just after it leaves the intake, as that goes to you stock solenoid.
3) 4mm Inside Diameter

use this stuff here as is much better quality then that light blue soft crap that other people sell
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...e/carburation-induction/auction-442165625.htm

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Yea I'm looking at throwing in a boost controller. I have a lot of supporting mods to be able to handle at least a few more PSI I think.

My gauge currently comes from one of the nipples on the right hand side (looking at the photo) of the intake manifold, between it and the engine block. It seems pretty stable but I just wasn't keen on the hose touching the engine when it's hot, and a defi racer gauge is on the way :D

cheers for the link

Couple of final questions: the small hose coming from directly after the MAF, going to the stock boost controller, do I just block it off? Later I might upgrade the intake anyway. And will the ECU pack a sad if I unplug the controller?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
i have just blocked mine off. but i dont use the standard solenoid anymore i use a EBC with its own solenoid so it has no use for that . and no the ECU wont pack a sad.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
that is so true!

Reaction score
Country
Haha glad I'm still a young bachelor then. Don't need to worry about any Mrs getting wound up.

Last edited: