What's new

oil leak

J

john

have a small oil leak i think it might be the front crank shaft oil seal does anybody know is this an easy job that i can do myself or not and what is the best oil for the sr20 engine????

Last edited by a moderator:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Dunno about the crank shaft oil seal??

But I do know best oil IMO for SR20 is Titan (Silkolene) Pro-S 10W50 (mainly track/hard use) otherwise stick will lower weight if it's just a daily driver/fast road.

J

john

nice one for that but its just a daily driver just want the best for it

Last edited by a moderator:

drifter

Reaction score
Country
I'd use Silkolene ProS 5-40 for a daily imo. Personally I use Millers Motorsport mainly for it's high operation temp which is hand on track :)

Re the oil leak, not known of a front crank seal leak, sounds like a bastid to do if that's the case. Nearly all Sr's have an slight oil leak at the front between the head and block thanks to ****e design by Nissan.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
I use 5w40 synthetic too and think it's a good balanced oil but I don't track my car... I agree with drifter, if you clean the leak up and have a look after a couple of days I'm sure you'll see fresh oil around the timing chain cover which is a massive pain to fix and won't do any harm if left and oil levels are kept an eye on ;)

Reaction score
The oil leak can be coming from 2 places, front crank seal which is not as common as the 2nd place which is the timing chain cover.It only uses silicon as a gasket which tends to leak over time.

Its a bastard of a job to do so if its not excessive I would just clean it up with degreaser occasionally, like I do to mine

J

john

cheers lads im booking it in for a service soon so ill have a better idea where that oil leak is then ill clean it with gunk and hope for the best.... hopefully its only something like ye said!!!

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I do the same as Auss15. Havent had the time to get it properly done on a daily driver, and is defo a quick gasket job, no OEM type gasket.

Reaction score
Country
i think mine has the same leak, either that or the oil pan, i have replaced the crank seal twice so thats def out of the question, has anyone fixed this. I havent pulled a SR apart before, is the front cover holding anything in place? or can you just remove the pulleys and other stuff in the front on the engine and pull it off? make a new seal and put it back on? or is it holding the bottom of the chain or something really annoying like that

Reaction score
i think mine has the same leak, either that or the oil pan, i have replaced the crank seal twice so thats def out of the question, has anyone fixed this. I havent pulled a SR apart before, is the front cover holding anything in place? or can you just remove the pulleys and other stuff in the front on the engine and pull it off? make a new seal and put it back on? or is it holding the bottom of the chain or something really annoying like that
Yes that's pretty much what you have to do,but its getting to all the bolts to undo the cover thats the PITA

Last edited:

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I think mine will be rocker cover off and then you can undo the 3 bolts holding that triangular bit on the left in place (where the oil leaks from on mine.) I will do my best not to touch the chain if i can help it! dont want to upset that! Problem on my car with this leak is that the oil works its way onto the belts and gets flicked about and blown by the fan covering the whole thing in s*~!

Reaction score
Country
Yes that's pretty much what you have to do,but its getting to all the bolts to undo the cover thats the PITA
so if the RAD and fan setup is removed, the belts and pulleys are removed, is that enough access? as thats not that bigger job

Reaction score
I haven't done it myself but I had a mate do it to his S15. He took the motor out to do a few other things and did the timing chain cover at the same time.

These were his comments under the picture.

And finally, timing case off. With all the shyte we had to take off just to get to this, I'm amazed how people do this in the car.

Other's that I have spoken to about doing it have echoed the same sentiments, thats why I haven't ventured to doing mine.

J

john

that sounds way to much for me i dont no that much about it but the oil in mine is down by the oil sump and its dripping down and under it! a buddy of mine said it could get on the clutch and then that can start slipping:(