What's new

Nismo Helical diff help.

Havoc

Reaction score
Country
Hello,

Just needed some quick advice, I have a Nismo helical diff on my S15 and drift it very regularly, it work really well and locks instantly when I need it to, i have upgraded the oil i use in it,
however during sslow manoeuvres and going round cornered slowly in higher gears it does make a lot of loud clanking noises and has got louder lately, and does it a lot more often,
So was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it's going to be a outstanding problem, as I've been thinking about welding it anyway,

Any help would be great, cheers.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Hey mate. The standard diff is a helical, but the Nismo diff's are 1.5 way and 2 way. So think you might be confusing these two. If its the stock diff then its not ment to clank atall. If its a 1.5 or 2 way then they can be noisy but if it's getting worse then sounds like it could be broken.

Havoc

Reaction score
Country
Ah yea I see, never had it of to check and there is no real marking on it, but on the import papers and servicing sheets, it says it has a Nismo differential package on it.
Either way not sure what's better, to weld it or try get it repaired.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
If its Got a Nismo diff then they are very good and it may be the type of oil your using! Nismo pro diff's should really use Nismo oil. As they are supposed to be one of the quietest diff's I would only use Nismo oil. Think places like drift works sell the oil.

Reaction score
The Nismo diff will over time become a little louder,mine has, it's nothing to worry about.They are noisier in Winter.

If its the Nismo TT Pro it has 3 settings soft,medium and hard.

They can be adjusted by removing the half shaft on the passenger side. I use Motul Competion diff oil. Nismo diff oil is made by Motul.

Last edited: