What's new

FMIC install

Reaction score
ok, so just wondering.... i read things about "trim this and that"....

just trying to work out what exactly it is that wants cutting.

the "chassis legs" being the vertical parts that come forward, where the piping comes down and round, correct?

the "front bar" being the metal bar that is taken off when fitting the IC, then replaced after to hold the bumper back on?

also, does the bumper itself need trimming?

guessin' for the metal parts, angle grinder would be best bet???

i've already picked up on the paintin' of the washer bottle before re-install and paint where metal has been cut.

anything else i should be lookin' to do at the same time??? one last thing, do the headlights have to come off to remove the bumper? cheers! :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Assuming you're talking about the usual design of FMIC, yes, yes, yes and yes.

The battery tray also will need a hole drilling in it.

You shouldn't ever need to remove the lights. The bumper comes off by dropping the tray, removing the front arch liners, undoing the two side bolts and two side screws. Take the top bumper clips out and off it comes.

Reaction score
yea, the usual style, ment to say it's a greddy M.

yea, knew about the battery tray, just forgot to list it.

which part of the bumper needs trimming though? is it for the pipe work, or where the IC actually sits behind the bumper so it'll go back enough?

cheers nicely btw, knew you'd come up with the answers! :)

D

Derek

Spec M fmic is very good. Thats what i put on lately. The bolts in kit are bit suspect tho. I cracked one as they were only 4.8 mild steel. If you need any advice just ask..

Reaction score
Country
Ive just install a blitz LM intercooler. great intercooler quality build. all nuts, bolts and brakets stainless steel.

i did need to cut chassis legs with this kit..

it all depends on the size of the intercooler but the bumper your gonna have to cut for IC and intercooler pipes thats for standard bumper and maybe the bumper support frame (could be bend out of the way).

washer bottle...hum i had to twist it at an angle for it to fit...

Reaction score
for spec m, remove the washer bottle support leg, cut chassis legs with angle grinder, hole in battery tray, trim the frontbar to allow clearance for cooler, remove under plastic guards to put the screws in the bottom... should be about it...

P

paulphot

Am I the only one who hasn't cut or otherwise modified the chassis rails? I just had the cooler set forward a bit more (more taken from the front bar). Didn't want to touch the rails in case of an accident and the insurance company sees the mod and I end up in the poo.

Reaction score
think that's why some people tend to "tease" the chassis legs out the way with a hammer, so that they're still there, just twisted????

it's the bumper i'm not wantin' to cut! lol don't have a dremel, and not found anyone that has one either! :(

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Dazz0i said:
think that's why some people tend to "tease" the chassis legs out the way with a hammer, so that they're still there, just twisted????

it's the bumper i'm not wantin' to cut! lol don't have a dremel, and not found anyone that has one either! :(
The bumber needs cutting. There is no way getting around that.
Just get one of those dremel copies. It will only set you back about ?10 :thumbs:

I used one of those for all the work fitting the front mount except the hole.
Took alot of time cutting the chassi-legs and the bumper support.

So what you need is a hole-saw, dremel, angle grinder, paint and something to tighten the clamps with.
That's pretty much it.
Oh and some patience too. You'll be test fitting the front bumper a couple of times before getting the cutting right :thumbs:

Reaction score
yea, i've got an angle grinder and all other sorts of tools, just the drill and hole cutter that i don't have atm.

86mm that's needed isn't it??? i'm sure i'll be able to find someone at work with one! :)

and of course patients is the key for the bumper.... now knowing what they cost to replace, there is just no way i'll be rushing it! HAHA

cheers guys! :)

D

Derek

The holesaw i used on Spec M was 73mm purchased in a set of 5 from Aldi about month ago for around ?15. I also used Baby Angle grinder on Bumper.

Reaction score
i'll see what people at work come up with, sure someone must have something.... i work on site, someone must have something! haha

i've got that dewalt angle drill that came with the impact wrench i got the other week, i'll get a dremel style cutting wheel for that, that should do the trick! :D