What's new

Time attack gearbox options

Reaction score
Country
Some good info here in this thread guys -

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technical/92315-sr-gearbox-solution-4.html

The way it comes across there is the larger casing boxes such as z32/z33 rb25 will be good for track but for drifting they are still just as weak due to transmition shock etc and constant stess on the box especially when using a big nasty clutch!

Prob the same for the ppg stuff..wouldnt last long in a drift car but would be fine in a track car?

Then again it all boils down to driver and how they change gear and what clutch they use I spose...some people out there prob drift all day on stock sr boxes and have good luck..same with rb25 etc.

Who knows what the correct solution is :rotfl:

drifter

Reaction score
Country
I have a thread on the SXOC from when I did. Bit of a long read but it's all in there :) Things like the speedo convertor won't be needed as the S15 takes the signal from the diff so it won't change :)

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?228568-Here-we-go-Z32-gearbox&highlight=gearboxhttp://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?228568-Here-we-go-Z32-gearbox&highlight=gearbox

In short you will...
Need a VG box, split it to remove bellhousing and get it machined to suit the plate.
Adaptor plate
Custom cross member to support the box, the actual rubber mount is okay
Custom front half prop, retain the rear section
You will need to bash the trans tunnel abit to make room. You can get away with a light hammering to save the metal work abit, but it will be more fiddlly
You will also need to make the shifter hole lightly bigger.
The shifter linkage at the back of the gearbox needs to be shortened, as does the standard shifter bracket.
The standard shifter bracket needs a bolt throught the trans tunnel to support it as it's bushed to keep it quiet. You will also need to dog leg the shifter to make it fit the S15 centre console.
Clutch works fine, as does the slave cylinder. If you have removed the standard clutch line assembly and fitted a braided line then it will be too short and you'll need to make/get a new one.
Sensors are easy enough, only 2 of them, 2 wires each. The loom is long enough, but you'll need to cut the plugs off and join using new connectors.

Gearbox options, buy new for about $1800 or 2nd hand. All of the UK cars have weak 3rd gear synchros unless they have been changed. Same can be said for the RB boxes as they will grind over time. I bought my box for £200 a few years ago, just had it rebuilt for £400 :)

If I think of anything else I'll post it up, there should be pics in the SXOC thread.

Superwoody still has his Jag Getrag box for sale so that would be an option :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Good read there!

You are very skilled :nod:

Shame you dont offer a conversion service!

So from reading that it turns out the Z32 box is quite a pain to fit...but the R33 box is easier and shares the same internals?

Do you know if Polo on sxoc still offers this conversion service?

R33 boxes may well be worth looking into then :)

drifter

Reaction score
Country
It's not that bad, there is a few things in that list which are still required for a RB box. Just to confirm when we say R33 or RB box, it's the one from the GTST or even the GTT :)

I think Polo will still do the conversion, but imo the plate is over priced :) I don't doubt there is a lot of work in it, but it's too technical for what it does if you know what I mean :) From memory you can use a crossmember from an auto SR gearbox, still tight for space, shifter needs dog legging as it come up too far forward, thus you still need to open up the hole in the trans tunnel. Prop is still custom as well. All in all, yes it's a bit easier, but no by much :)

Easiest option is to rebuild the box with OSG/PPG parts, but I won't be paying for that :eek:

Reaction score
Country
I knew also PAR made aftermarket reinforced boxes for the FS6R92A transmission.

From their website:

200SX/Silvia 6MT Dog Engagement (FS6R92A)
$6,640 AUD (plus GST)

The Nissan FS6R92A transmission is fitted to S15 200sx/Silvia vehicles along with the SR20DET powerplant. Although much stronger than the earlier FS5W71C transmission, the FS6R92A starts to have durability issues with vehicles sporting over 220kw of power. With many modified vehicles passing the 240~280kw mark, gear breakages are not an uncommon occurance.
Available as an off the shelf model is a 1st~6th straight cut dog engagement gearset with the strength and durability required for dedicated circuit and drag racing vehicles.
Features:

- Tooth profiles that reduce noise, wear and load forces on the standard OEM transmission housing
- Multiple piece layshaft for ease of assembly, strength and ratio changes
- Single piece billet output shaft for maximum strength and durability
- Billet shift forks included
- No extra cost helical gears
- No extra cost custom ratios
- Also available in 1st~4th dog engagement, 5th synchromesh engagement configuration ($4,960 AUD)

Ratios:
- 1st: 2.92
- 2nd: 2.00
- 3rd: 1.45
- 4th: 1.17
- 5th: 1.00
- 6th: 0.88 (Optional)

Applications:
- S15 SR20DET

200SX/Silvia 6MT Synchromesh Engagement (FS6R92A)
$4,240 AUD (plus GST)

Features:

- Tooth profiles that reduce noise, wear and load forces on the standard OEM transmission housing
- Multiple piece layshaft for ease of assembly, strength and ratio changes
- Shift retaining rings incorporated into design to eliminate over selection and synchronizer baulking
- Retension of OEM 6th gear assembly provides OEM NVH levels during cruise and freeway driving
- Helical cut gears (1st~4th) for the best balance of strength and refinement
- Billet single piece output shaft
- No extra cost straight cut gears
- No extra cost custom ratios

Ratios:
- 1st: 3.61
- 2nd: 2.16
- 3rd: 1.57
- 4th: 1.11
- 5th: 1.00
- 6th: 0.88(Optional)

Applications:
- S15 SR20DET

Don't know any power ratings but could be a nice alternative if import taxes+ shipping cost won't be twice the box :wack: ??

Last edited:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I have heard that the PAR gearsets aren't that good. I am sure that it would take more than the standard box, but the reviews aren't exactly stellar.