What's new

LSD Differential oil change if anyone wants to give it a go.

Reaction score
Country
He everyone

I recently had a go at changing my gear box and differential oils as ive hit about 50,000k and its about time it was done. i followed the gear box forum started by Lupix_s15 for the gearbox which was helpful but found there was nothing for the diff.

The diff oil can be changed by using a half in ratchet as you wont need the socket and a oil pump with a small 10cm hose that allows you to reach the full hole faces the rear passenger wheel. The drain plug faces directly out towards the back of the car.

if anyone can post a picture of their rear diff it'd be awesome!

loosen the fill plug first to ensure nothing gets stuck . You need 1.5 l of GL-5 diff fluid. the manual notes never to use specific diff fluid so i picked up some diff and transaxial fluid which worked well.

once the fill plug is loose, open and drain the diff via the drain plug. then Close the drain plug.

using a oil pump add 1.5 to the diff via the fill plug when it starts to overflow close and tighten the plugs and your done!

hope this helps anyone that wants to do this them selves. it took about 45 minutes as it was my first attempt. Also if you use a jack for safety always use jack stands for extra support.

cheers

Abhishek

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If you look in the 'Useful Links', which is tagged at the top of every page, you would have found guides covering the following..

Gearbox and diff oil quantities
How to change gearbox oil
How to change diff oil