What's new

Clutch fitting

henrico

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a guide anywhere for fitting a clutch? Can't seem to find one if there is.

Thanks

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
It's in the service manual located in the useful threads.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Once the gearbox is off it's soo easy mate, undo 8 bolts, remove the cover and friction plate, remove and replace the spigot bush, align the new clutch using the tool,and fit the new cover back with the 8 bolts, then refit the gearbox. They do recommend skimming the flywheel but when I removed mine it was like brand new with absolutely no surface wear so it's a matter of opinion...

henrico

Reaction score
Thanks for pointers. My mate's a mechanic and just wanted to check to see if easy or whatnot as rwd is meant to be easier than fwd. By the sounds of it won't be too hard then, thanks Dean! Will we need a special tool?? ;-)

henrico

Reaction score
ps is it a big hassle to get to the stage of removing the clutch or is that fairly simple too?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Theres not much to it mate, in short you remove the prop front half, remove the gearstick, split the exhaust, undo the gearbox crossmember and remove it, unplug all the electrical connections and unbolt the slave cylinder. At this point you will need to loosen any tight pipework on the engine and remove the radiator brackets so that you can put a block of wood on a jack and jack the sump up carefully to tilt the engine back, some people hang on the downpipe to do this if its on a ramp or use a lump of wood to lever the engine but I do the jack method. Once the engine is tilted back you can access all the bellhousing bolts and once these are out you can wiggle the box side to side while pulling to get it off the locating pegs, then it's easier to remove the s15 box if you spin it upside down and then take it off, then you're home free to fit the clutch etc and refit is the reverse of removal...

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Henrico - I think your car has the Nismo Supercoppermix clutch, which is very expensive and good. It may be worth seeing if you can just get a new friction plate from Nismo unless you want a different one for any reason.

If your not mechanically minded I personally wouldn't attempt to remove the gearbox. It weighs 45kg so not the easiest thing to mess around with.

henrico

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers, I' reckon I'll get it fitted when the weather's not so bloody cold though!

So what exactly is a friction plate?