What's new

Circuit/Drift 1.5way or 2way diff ?

E

EXIGE_GT

Hi guys,

I need to buy a LSD diff for my S15..

The issues I have is I'm building my car for circuit use and I've now got the itch to give drifting a go ...

I know all the drifters use a 2way diff and circuit racing a 1.5way ...

What can you guys reccomend as I was concerned a 2way might increase push/understeer on corner entry ?

If so, can you still drift well with a 1.5way ?

I planned to buy a Kaaz and my local shop has both instock.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanks ;)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I was asking myself the exact same question dude... I'm building my car for primarily track work but since I've been drifting for a few years now, the temptation will still be there in taking her to the odd drift day throughout the year :wack:

I haven't had first hand experience of 1.5 or 2 way so I'm not an expert but I'll trust the advice from a good friend who manages a fully competitive FIA GT 2 race team running Porsches... stay away from a 2 way, keep it 1.5 way for track.

You don't have to have a 2 way to drift... the S15 helical can cope although it's not as smooth nor aggressive as a 1.5 or 2 way :)

Reaction score
Country
Can someone explain how a 1.5 way works differently to a 2 way? for all the 'diff noobs' out there :p

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
1.5 way locks under acceleration
2 way locks under accceleration and deceleration

So if you have a 2 way and it starts sliding, you can't just back off the power to get the back to come into line again. Great for drifting but terrible for the road or track in comparison to a 1.5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

Reaction score
Country
if its not a full on drift car and you will still use it on the road/circuit, just get the 1.5, As for the helical, what james said: the stock helical can cope, as its very strong but its a grip setup diff, perfect for targa, but the constantly varying power application from side to side can make your car swap ends rather quickly when your not expecting it, especially when backing off :) its done it too me many times so i would not keep it if you are planning on drifting.

E

EXIGE_GT

Thanks for the input guys, so 1.5way sounds like the go for me but can you slide decently with a 1.5way diff ?

Reaction score
Country
1.5 way locks under acceleration
2 way locks under accceleration and deceleration

So if you have a 2 way and it starts sliding, you can't just back off the power to get the back to come into line again. Great for drifting but terrible for the road or track in comparison to a 1.5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential
1.5 way locks under accel and decel as well but it's semi lock on decel

It depends on individual, you still drift on 1.5way easily

But if you're going to go track, 1.5way is the way to go

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
The stock helical Diff is for all intense and purposes a 1 way diff. And it's driftable, so a 1.5 would be better than stock and best for track.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
1.5 way locks under accel and decel as well but it's semi lock on decel

It depends on individual, you still drift on 1.5way easily

But if you're going to go track, 1.5way is the way to go
Yes I was quite surprised about the fact that 1.5 way also locks on decceleration :wack: but as ichi-go says, it's only half the amount that a 2 way will lock...

Wish I could afford a 1.5 Nismo GT Pro... you can adjust the initial torque settings so customise the diff to how you want it :)

http://www.nismo.co.jp/en/products/competition/lsd/gt_lsdpro.html

E

EXIGE_GT

Since the Nismo Pro-TT model is adjustable to a degree, the 2way might be the go for my Drift/Circuit use ?

Ive found a good low klm used Pro-TT 2way for $500aud ...

Do you think this diff, if wound back to be as least aggressive as possible, would be similar to a 1.5way ?

Reaction score
Country
Im also looking at a diff for some drift work but also to still be able to use the car comfortably as a street car, by the looks of it a 1.5 way is the way to go? what are peoples thoughts on locked or welded diffs.

Won't be seeing heaps of track time but would still like it to be able to cope with a few days here and there, whilst being a daily.

E

EXIGE_GT

You can not 'shim' or lock the factory S15 helical diff ... Weld i guess you could but thats the dodgy way out ...

Just buy a aftermarket centre there cheap enough used - $500-800 or new $1000-1600 ...

1.5way is difficult to source used i am finding, hence myquestion reg the Nismo Pro 2way that is adjustable via 3 different settings low/mid/high..

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Nothing wrong with welded diffs as long as the weld is decent!

But the issue is obviously permanently locked diff :wack: Again I've not driven one but I know mates who have/had them and they're a pain to live with if you want a 'comfortable' street car...

E

EXIGE_GT

Another thing to consider with a welded diff is if it fails it can potentially lock/cease the rear end ... I know I'd not want my ass in the seat on track going through a fast sweeper and that happens :)

Reaction score
Country
Yea I probably wouldnt want anything like that to happen, I'll be looking for myself either a 1.5 way or a 2way diff. At the moment sort of leaning towards a 1.5 way as it will be used for street as well so want a fairly comfortable ride and dont want the diff locking up unexpectedly

E

EXIGE_GT

^^ sounds good, ill keep you posted if i come across a couple as im on the hunt at the moment ... Ive found a couple Nismo Pro 2ways that are cheap, they are a real good diff and adjustable ...

I just want to know if anyone can advise if the Nismo 2way set to least aggressive setting would be ok for circuit use ?

1.5way are very hard to come by in the used market and im not interested in spending $1600-1800 on a centre at the moment ...

Can anyone help with my question please ???

Thanks !

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
I have a kaaz 2-way in there and the thing carrys on like no tomorrow, I don't mind the diff noise but whenever somebody new gets in they say its pretty savage lol. I mind constant road noise more than anything else especially since I drive it daily. But the car is regularly taken time attack/circuit racing with the 2way in there and the lap times aren't too shabby. The nismo diffs are smoother than kaaz so IMO the soft setting on the nismo would be a-ok.