What's new

Aero Bonnet Catches - few Q's

Reaction score
Country
Ok, so i noticed today a hairline mark, not a crack yet, but the carbon weave in my bonnet starting to seperate around where my OEM bonnet catch is. So i need to fix this problem asap with some aero catches.

1) Are they road legal?

2) is it road legal to remove the factory bonnet catch and just have aero ones?

3) anyone recommend good/bad ones, or are they all the same? Ideally i want some locking ones, either made of CF, or at least a carbon effect, as black plastic will look naff on my CF bonnet.

Anyone got any experience of these? http://www.epracing.co.uk/Performan...cking-Bonnet-Catch-Pin-120-3100/p-76-197-235/

Cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Ok so i've got a pair of those AeroCatch's.

but now i need to decide where to mount them.

Where is the best place to put them? obviously as far forward as possible, BUT, do they want to be as far apart as possible, and they need a flat patch of bonnet about 10cm long, which is hard to come by on the front of the bonnet.... might have to be behind the lights somewhere..

will this be any good?

GAHH

also, photos anyone? i need these fitting on ASAP!
cheers

Reaction score
Country
I've got aero catches on mine as the FRP bonnet was flapping around without them, I should be able to post some pics later

Reaction score
Country
The only thing you have to watch out for is anyone and everyone having the ability to open your bonnet when they please...

Not sure if you can get locking aero catches?

Reaction score
Country
Mine aren't the locking type but I also have a working original bonnet catch, so it's still lockable.

Will try and post some pics with the specific location of the locking pins.

The only thing on mine which is a pain is the alignment of the Aero catch and the pin has to be perfect for easy opening, mine isn't and i'm talking just mm's here, once you release the aero flap the pin should automaticaly release, on mine you have to put pressure on the bonnet just below the aero catch to allow the pin to release, not a biggy but i'm also not a fan of bending my FRP bonnet.....

Jase, the best advise i can give is the old classic of measure twice cut once, otherwise you might find they lock but don't unlock at all :wack:

Reaction score
Country
cheers mate! an hour too late in me checking though. BUT. i have used exactly the same mounting points as you, accidentally! hahaha :D
great minds think alike.

and, i know they dont line up 100% because of the angle of the bonnet (i've got one fitted now, yet to do the 2nd), but you can improve the alignment by pushing the pin at an angle as that bar its bolted to is a pretty soft metal. :)

i went and got the 'carbon look' locking ones. and heres my advice. if it says 'carbon look' on it. then it looks absolute dog! and just buy the black ones. i'm going to have to paint mine. hahaha.

but the locking bit is useful..

edit - my catches are the opposite way round to yours as the aerocatch manual recommends the narrow end towards the front :)

i've removed my factory catch too and it sits better without that also. :)

edit2 - just noticed you arent using the bump stops on your pins.. that might make it sit better too :) i'l get some proper pics when i'm finished fitting them both and defrosting my fingers :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country

bonnet is still covered in dust, and the photo was taken on my oldschool sony ericsson phone :p
but you get the idea :)

Reaction score
Country
I didn't fit mine, I got my car from SVA and when the took the car down the road for a test drive the bonnet was flapping all over the place, before I knew it they'd fitted the catches, but to be honest it looks ok and does the job, so all the 'correct' fitting it looks like was missed, but they've grown on me now.

Might have a play around with them one day, but as i'm 3000 miles away from my car will have to wait, lol.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Nice one Jase :thumbs:

ichigo - looks like a tidy job on yours... I will need to do the same on my 14a... Border carbon bonnet on the way!! hehe :D

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Hey jase, sorry for the late reply... I never did get round to fitting mine anyway so wouldn't of been much help mate :)

Reaction score
Country
How do you cut a hole like that in a carbon fibre bonnet? I'd be terrified:(
lol, terrified wasnt the word! hahahaha. i drilled a pilot hole for the pin first.. then another.. then another.. and once i was 100% i had it all lined up... i brought out the jigsaw. which is scary as hell! because the carbon bonnet wasnt clamped or anything it tended to rattle like mad. but in the end its all good. only scuffed the finish once when i sanded it down, but hopefully i can polish that out. photos to follow later :)

Reaction score
Country
As promised, heres a photo of the Aero Catches fitted:

Taken about 6 hours after fitting in bright sunshine. Bring on the snow!

slightly better photo, but not really. I was freezing my ass off and couldnt be bothered spending time on the photos haha.

drivers side pin:

passenger side pin:

Reaction score
Country
Looks good bud :)

Have you got a note of the measurements you made?
I fancy giving this a go.
i made measurements initially, but then when i remeasured, they kept changing and its impossible to get exact measurements because of the slope on the bonnet. you'l see what i mean when you come to fit yours..

easiest way i found is to use the existing holes on the frame for the pins. stick a marker pen in them holes pointing upwards, then close the bonnet. and hey presto. one exact pin dot! then drill a hole from the bottom up, through the marked dot. then close the bonnet and look through the hole in the bonnet and check its lined up with the hole on the frame. if its not, redrill, and keep going til you've got perfect alignment. then stick your catch template around the mess you've made, line up the pin hole on the template, mark the bonnet, and whip out the jigsaw! simples!