What's new

Sr20det noisey head

N

Nickbryan

My sr20 ever since the head gasket was replaced has a slight ticking that is inconsistently there, I have bleed my lifters and that never helped any ideas? There are no leaks from the gasket, will try get a video up shortly

Reaction score
Country
a slight ticking noise, is the ticking coming from the injectors? or from the VVT solenoid starting to go

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
the vct thing is mostly noticeable at idle, just get a bit of garden hose and put one end to your ear and move the other end around the engine a where ever the noise is the loudest. If it is the vct thing, that only gets worse and before long sounds like a tractor, but it may not be this at all just have a listen and see where exactly its coming from

Reaction score
just get a bit of garden hose and put one end to your ear and move the other end around the engine a where ever the noise is the loudest.
Good idea that, might try that on mine. Bloody sr20's sound like sewing machines, give me back my ca any day. :wack:

N

Nickbryan

It's more of a ticking, when I first start it it's very loud but as I start to accelerate it goes as soon as clutch is out, but the tapping starts off low range and is just a tapping though the rev range, I've looked at the camshaft and that seems fine, is there a way to test vct like unplug solenoid?

Reaction score
Country
I had a ticking noise on my old spec s on start up which turned out to be the thrust bearing, as this went away as soon as the clutch was engaged, it made a bit of a extra rattle as the clutch was engaged but disappeared as soon as you moved, have a listen down by the bell housing on cold start up