What's new

s15 using water

N

Nickbryan

Hey guys I've noticed my silvia is using water, the radiator is down just a little from the top, it is turboed and was wondering where it could be going? the head gasket has been replaced with a stainless head gasket

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Check for leaks around the turbo. The hard lines have a history of cracking.

Reaction score
As above. Just recently had to change my turbo coolant lines for braided ones as one of the original pipes had a crack in and it was leaking everywhere. I thought it may have just been the washers at first but when I changed them it just made it worse. :(

Reaction score
Country
As above. I denied the idea it could be the turbo lines at first, but when you think about it, if there is no puddle appearing under the car when static, then it cant be a major leak. Mine only leaked when driving (when the turbo is spinning obviously) so yeah... check the turbo lines. mine was the one on the engine side of the turbo. braided replacement lines are available from HEL and Apex, HEL are cheapest as far as i'm aware. :)

N

Nickbryan

Just took it for a drive and came home, 10min later it was cooling down and just hear a big noise and saw water pissing out of a turbo line, so braided lines should be here tomorrow cheers for everyone's help

Reaction score
Country
Depends how hard you want to make it, if you want to do it without tacking the turbo off it is a right pain in the arse. You can do it but it will take a long time. Other option is to remove the turbo, and if you are going to remove the turbo you may as well change the oil line for a braided one. Either way it at least half a day job. When I did it I used a set a car lifts which made it a lot easier. I also change the manifold and elbow at the same time while it was all off. That took me around 5 hours :)

N

Nickbryan

Yeah I'm halfway through taking the manifold off, I want to check my manifold for cracks anyway as I think that maybe the problem for my ticking

Reaction score
Country
Check the bolts that secure the turbo to the manifold. Mine were loose when mine didn't sound right! Also make sure you replace the gasket with a proper OEM one and not an eBay job as the dont seal properly.

Reaction score
Country
Yep have ordered exactly those ones, how hard to fit?
the oil feed and water feed are sweet as, the water return can fit under the manifold but its a bit tight for space as these lines are a good size, this is on the stock manifold so i ran that around the side, just put it on backwards to what was intended and it fits sweet as. With a free flow manifold i dont think the water return would be a problem to have underneath with the rest.