What's new

Clutch and flywheel opinions wanted

Reaction score
Country
Need to fit a new clutch on my car, after some opinions on what to go for. As I am changing the clutch, while I have the box off I thought I may as well upgrade the flywheel as well :D Power will be around 300hp and 300 ft/lb by the time I come to fit them :wack: Have been looking at the DW flywheel and Exedy clutch. £262 for the clutch and £200 for the flywheel. What do you think :notworthy:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I'd stick with stock type flywheel, and just a slightly updated organic clutch! The solid flywheels stress the box more and aren't half as smooth!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
The dw clutches are for s14 mate, won't work with the s15 ;)

Reaction score
Country
No the clutch and flywheel are both for the S15. Or at least that's what they state in the title. Not to clued up on boxes, how would the flywheel effect the gearbox? I thought putting a lighter flywheel in would simply allow the engine to rev up quicker?????

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
It does but all eBay sellers (and driftworks as far as I know) sell s14 flywheels despite saying they will fit s15. Of course they fit the s15 crank because it's the same, but if you fit an s14 flywheel with the s15 box the input shaft cannot locate in the spigot bush which is in the inner part of the flywheel itself. Ask a few more questions about it and see what they say... I've seen too many people buy 's15' clutch and flywheels an get sent an s14 one ;)

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Deans right about fitment etc mate. Yes a lightweight flywheel will decrease the rotational mass, helping the engine pick up easier! But with the stock dual mass flywheel it helps dampen the pull away. That's the only reason why it's better than solid flywheels.
It depends if your going for more power eventually or not?! If 300 is what it will stay then no need for solids and paddle clutches. Just stick with dual mass and organic discs.

Reaction score
Country
Just got off the phone to Garage D. They seem to think the flywheel is a good option and the gearbox should handle it fine. Clutch wise they have advised i go for the Exedy Stage 1 (Organic). They have also had there prototype box upgrade back (Stregthening) and all seems good so hopefully we will soon see that option available. At the minute they are still road testing it to check it has done the job before they offer the upgrade. still not sure on the price but hopefully it won't be out of most people's budgets :)

Reaction score
Exactly what i was looking for when i posted a while back :cool: So as i understand it, keep the flywheel, get it skimmed and get an Exedy organic clutch :)

Last edited:
N

n6ray

I bought the exact set up you're talking about at arounf the same time, i have since had the car taken apart again to find the source of a metallic "squeal" when releasing the clutch. When the clutch was taken apart the 2nd time, the flywheel had chewed up the input shaft to my gear box.....has anyone had any issues like this before?? ANy ideas as to why??

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
For a flywheel to ruin the end of an input shaft there must have been a problem with the spigot bush or something... The input is meant to locate in that so it cant 'wobble'...

N

n6ray

Well it would appear that the DW S15 lightweight flywheel doesn't actually fit the s15, everything else has been checked and now the 2nd flywheel is doing the same!! Any other suggestions as to what it could be?! I'm still convinced it's the flywheel....anyone know where i could get a dual mass OEM part?! I'm at the point where I'm exhausting my patience with it and might just sell it......