What's new

Car 'Hesitant' & 'loss of power' & not boosting above 0.5

Reaction score
Country
Ok so i've had this issue a little while but its getting progressively worse in terms of boost pressure..

Basically i'l be driving along, accelerating SLOWLY (less than 0 bar boost) and the car will feel like someone is pressing on the brake. But then as soon as i slam my foot to the ground, it fights through the slowness and accelerates as normal.. it doesnt do this all the time, but it is doing it more often now.

Also, my car isnt boosting above 0.5, except when it spikes/creeps, and then gets to about 0.7 on the spikes/creeps.
I've got a gizzmo EBU fitted, i've checked every 'air pipe' and cant find a leak anywhere. Tried upping the 'duty' on the EBU and that just increases the spike/creep

I've been advised that it could be the actuator thats had it.. what do you guys reckon?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Sounds like the wastegate is popping open at higher boost. You probably need a new wastegate actuator. Get a HKS or forge one

Reaction score
Country
Sounds like the wastegate is popping open at higher boost. You probably need a new wastegate actuator. Get a HKS or forge one
Are actuators turbo/engine specific? or are they all just a generic lump thats managed by the cars EBU?

Also, i cant imagine this being the problem for my car being hesitant/losing power when not under boost? Or if i'm completely wrong, please explain :)
cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
An actuator is a mechanical device that takes a boost reading, it has a spring in it and when it reads a certain amount of boost, it will extend its arm which opens the wastegate. What can happen is that the spring can get weak, and when the boost is too high, the wastegate creeps open and the spring in the actuator can't hold it shut.

Reaction score
Country
An actuator is a mechanical device that takes a boost reading, it has a spring in it and when it reads a certain amount of boost, it will extend its arm which opens the wastegate. What can happen is that the spring can get weak, and when the boost is too high, the wastegate creeps open and the spring in the actuator can't hold it shut.
I get you! And this could happen at 0.5 bar?
Because it doesnt get any higher than 0.5 now :( its slowly getting worse!! it only spikes to 0.6 now. GAH!!

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hks ones are £106 from apex. Just got me one, having similar problems too.
Question though, I have standard boost, ECU etc, will the car need mapping to fit it? And I gather min boost with it is 1bar. Will this KO the wmic and std injectors?

Reaction score
Country
The HKS actuator is adjustable if I remeber rightly upto 1 bar. The best bet would be to set it to stock boost. It could be a case of trial and error to get correct level. You simply adjust the arm length to adjust it.

Reaction score
Country
dude you have so much stuff go wrong with your car, why dont you just get another one

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
i had a problem where the car would not boost or rev past 3k alternator was broken. could b worth a quick test with miltimeter

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
dude you have so much stuff go wrong with your car, why dont you just get another one
One man's broken is another man's next upgrade! could be something really simple, just needs finding and upgrading.