What's new

How many people use engine braking on a daily basis?

Reaction score
Country
Just wondered as I generaly always use my clutch to slow me down when going at slow-moderate speeds...obviously this puts added wear on the clutch and added strain on the drivetrain but just how much?

How long would you expect a clutch to last engine braking on a regular basis?

I never do it harshly its always a slow transition when lifting off...I mainly do it for the sound because im gay and love the little pops :D

Anyone else?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I always do it regardless of what car I am driving ,just how I drive find it sets you up better for pulling away as your already in the gear you need to be in.
As for the wear side of it,I couldn't say. I have had mine for almost 2 years now and so far(touch wood)no problems

CMR

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I'm the same, find myself heal toe'ing the Astra diesel van on downshifts at work just out of habit. I can't see it causing any increased wear and tear as long as you rev match and don't just stick it in 2nd at 60 without matching the revs at all.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Rev matching knocks out most of the engine braking. Heal and toe is used to stop the engine braking as it unsettles the balance of the car, and tbh not many modern cars have brakes that need you to use engine braking.

Banging it down the gears and braking at the same time is a great way to slow down quickly though :)

Reaction score
Country
i engine brake a lot because i do lots of motorway driving and encounter roundabouts all of a sudden, so slamming the brakes and shifting down fast slows the car down a lot faster than just braking alone. i cant imagine it wears anything out too fast.. *touches wood too*

drifter

Reaction score
Country
My old man uses loads of engine breaking, really throws it down the box in to high revs. All becuase he wants to save wear and tear on the brakes. Last time I checked clutches and gearboxes cost more than brakes LOL.

CMR

Reaction score
Country
Rev matching knocks out most of the engine braking. Heal and toe is used to stop the engine braking as it unsettles the balance of the car, and tbh not many modern cars have brakes that need you to use engine braking.

Banging it down the gears and braking at the same time is a great way to slow down quickly though :)
I still call rev matching 4.5k down changing to 2nd then letting the engine slow you down as being engine braking.

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I'm the same, find myself heal toe'ing the Astra diesel van on downshifts at work just out of habit. I can't see it causing any increased wear and tear as long as you rev match and don't just stick it in 2nd at 60 without matching the revs at all.
I cant heal and toe to save my life, tried before and it just failed :D

Reaction score
Country
i used to do it alot to be honest, sometimes i still do. but the way i see it is, whats cheaper to replace a clutch or pads and disks!

U

udi

I don't do it in my S15, for the reasons mentioned above - increased wear on clutch and gearbox for no real reason. The only benefits would be increased braking (no need if you have good brakes), and decreased wear on brakes - which is silly given where you transfer the wear to.

If you don't rev-match you're increasing wear on clutch/box, and if you do rev-match you're not getting any engine braking - and there's no point rev-matching / heel-toeing in traffic just to stop at a stupid light.

On the mountain though, every downshift is rev-matched (heel-toe is good under brakes for downhill corners), it feels smooth and the car doesn't get unsettled... and I think the mountain/track is where these things belong! :)